Eastern Airways introduce new route from BRU.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Eastern Airways introduce new route from BRU.

Post by Atlantis »

Eastern Airways is doing well on the Belgian market.

Eastern Airways will introduce, 2 October, a new route from BRU: Durham Tees Valley.

They will fly two times a day and there is a very strong demand to fly to our capital but also from BRU is the demand high.

SN30952

Re: Eastern Airways introduce new route from BRU.

Post by SN30952 »

Atlantis wrote:They will fly two times a day and there is a very strong demand to fly to our capital but also from BRU is the demand high.
That confirms two things for parochial airports: high frequencies and point-to-point. And I continue to repeat this for years now.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Will the aircraft be a JS41 as on the existing BRU route? Or will it be just a JS32?
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I absolutely agree, Fons. Still it seems strange that Eastern is apparently well pleased with BRU, is the Southampton route a success for them? Then why wasn't it for VLM? Surely the Jetstream is cheaper to operate than an F50, but the difference can't be that significant, can it?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:I absolutely agree, Fons. Still it seems strange that Eastern is apparently well pleased with BRU, is the Southampton route a success for them? Then why wasn't it for VLM? Surely the Jetstream is cheaper to operate than an F50, but the difference can't be that significant, can it?
That's a question for Vansteenkiste.

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

jan_olieslagers wrote:I absolutely agree, Fons. Still it seems strange that Eastern is apparently well pleased with BRU, is the Southampton route a success for them? Then why wasn't it for VLM? Surely the Jetstream is cheaper to operate than an F50, but the difference can't be that significant, can it?
T3 JS41 = 29 pax
VG FK50 = 50 pax

First I think, regarding this info, VLM's FK50's were too big for this route, resulting in low loadfactors (can anyone confirm ?). Second, regarding VLM's "tradition", I think Eastern's fares are cheaper (can anyone confirm ?), attracting more costumers.

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

fokker_f27 wrote:Will the aircraft be a JS41 as on the existing BRU route? Or will it be just a JS32?
It will be indeed a JS41. There will be no weekend flights.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

First I think, regarding this info, VLM's FK50's were too big for this route
Agreed. Thats a 60% difference in capacity. That can really make a difference. Als othe opp. costs, like Jan said, can also make a difference. Maybe not that much alone, but probably it will if your aircraft is too large.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

fokker_f27 wrote:
First I think, regarding this info, VLM's FK50's were too big for this route
Agreed. Thats a 60% difference in capacity. That can really make a difference. Als othe opp. costs, like Jan said, can also make a difference. Maybe not that much alone, but probably it will if your aircraft is too large.
But this was exactly my point: most costs will be identical for a JetStream or an F50: 2 pilots, one f/a, same rates for airport operations, same rates for ATC, just the costs of fuel and perhaps maintenance a bit lower. Even if the Fokker offers 60% more capacity, if the extra cost is marginal this is only an advantage.

The other explanation seems much more likely: as the exact opposite of a LCC, who'll beat VLM? Eastern may well have found a workable compromise between both formulae.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Even if the Fokker offers 60% more capacity, if the extra cost is marginal this is only an advantage.
T3 JS41 = 29 pax = 58%
VG FK50 = 50 pax = 100%
100-58= 42
60% of 29 = 17 -> 17+29 = 46
Maybe the Britons calculate better than the Antwerps.

Having a bigger number of seats (or payload, as a matter of facts) on offer is an advantage, but capacity is not the priority in the solution.
The point-to-point fare structure is a calculation, comparing the alternative (cq indirect) routes costs.
Example:
If a passenger needs to stay one night longer at destination, part of that lay over-cost can be added to the price of the direct P2P fare, as he will still get an advantage in the WW situation. That's why capacity is not the first priority.

Therefor a fare structure will have to be ajusted to the passenger's needs.
The core clients and the fill up fares. It is the expertise of the pricing person that makes the commercial success, not the pilot.

I suppose Eastern Airways know well what they're doing, and has the right pricing person/department. Intelligence is not in flying, it is in selling.
Everybody can fly, not everybody can sell.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

As you may have seen, BIAC is advertising these new MME flights on their site. Flights were reported to start on October 2nd.

We're September 5th now, however the BRU-MME flights have not been loaded in the GDS yet and they are not bookable on the site of Eastern Airways either.

Eastern issued their press release on July 12th. As far as communication effectiveness, it might have been better to issue the press release only at a moment when the flights had effectively been loaded already.

http://www.easternairways.com/