SN Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express going together

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

lumumba wrote:Hi sn26567.
I think you make a point here also I think that SABENA is a good brand.
Whats rare on this forum it`s that everybody wants to keep the S but not the name SABENA.
Regards
Pat
I don't want to keep that meaningless "S", and I definitely don't want "SABENA" to come back...

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

I hope it will be SABENA again. Nothing to see with "ill placed nostalgy" nor conservatism, it is simply pragmatism and common sense :wink:

Of course the product cannot be a copy of what SN was 6 yrs ago (however good or not-so-good it was). Can't be since the airlines business changes ever so fastly.

But SABENA still does awake a wide positive echo among a large public of travellers worldwide and is still strongly percieved as the genuine belgian airlines premium service.

As I already mentioned, it is obvious to many that the current snba is building on the SABENA "kinship" to maintain a sort of credibility in Africa.
Also on the techical field SABENA was reputed.

Abandoning the S logo is losing the Sabena reference and would be imho inconsiderate. Instead renaming the airlines SABENA would be the proper thing to do.

---

Let me compare, if I may dare, with a completely different busines case : the attraction park WALIBI (btw I believe this is also a strong brandname).
Some 6 yrs ago the new managers thought it better to rename it 6-FLAGS.
Clearly the success was not outbreaking, some clients were upset and the new brandname/product was eventually proven weak.

Recently after a bit of reshuffling, they renamed the park WALIBI again
Surely a sound decision :wink:

Cheers
Christophe

itami

Welcome back SABENA !

Post by itami »

sn-remember wrote:I hope it will be SABENA again. Nothing to see with "ill placed nostalgy" nor conservatism, it is simply pragmatism and common sense :wink:
I completely share your opinion : making the world familiar with a new brand name and logo simply takes more time than experiencing the difference between the old and the new SABENA.
Most people underestimate the uniqueness of the female sounding name 'SABENA' : with its nicely spread 3 vowels and due lack of 'R' and 'L' the (now 83 years old !) name can be easily pronounced and remembered in almost any language ! :teach:

b720

Post by b720 »

indeed, but we also remember the bankruptcy, uncopetetiveness, bureaucracy etc linked to that name..i hope the new company would look to the future, rather than the gloomy past just for the sake of an S on the tail..

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

b720 wrote:..i hope the new company would look to the future, rather than the gloomy past just for the sake of an S on the tail..
Don't need to be ashamed of the "gloomy past" !
You'll be stronger to brave the future :wink:

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

sn-remember wrote:Some 6 yrs ago the new managers thought it better to rename it 6-FLAGS.
Clearly the success was not outbreaking, some clients were upset and the new brandname/product was eventually proven weak.

Wasn't that more due to the fact Walibi was bought by a American group (Six Flags) and then sold to a Spanish or French group?

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Bottie wrote:
sn-remember wrote:Some 6 yrs ago the new managers thought it better to rename it 6-FLAGS.

Wasn't that more due to the fact Walibi was bought by a American group (Six Flags) and then sold to a Spanish or French group?
Indeed, that's correct. But everyone (except some theme-parc fanatics) was still calling SixFlags Walibi after several years. It thus made perfect sence to rename it Walibi again.

If most people don't care that Walibi is only the same by name and location (owners, attractions, etc have all changed), why would they object to SNBA reverting back to Sabena?

Note: I'm talking about most people, not us aviation enthousiasts...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

For those who are trying to find out if the new name of SN/TV will indeed be Sabena again, or just Brussels Airlines like some insiders have apparently lead us to believe:

Try sending somebody you know at brusselsairlines an e-mail under his future e-mail adres (thus replacing @brusselsairlines.com by @sabena.com) and see what happens: If the mail is not returned to you as undeliverable after some time, it means the the adres (and thus the person) is known to that server, meaning the new name of Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express will indeed be Sabena...

Weird, is'nt it? :wink:

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

Try an unexisting name and use @sabena.com and you don't get an error either. So there are some flaws in your theory.

Cheers

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The fact is, the owner of sabena.com will receive al lot of mails right now ;) There is an option to catch all (un)known adresses and forward them to a known adress. So, for example: [email protected] does not exist, so it will be forwarded to, let's say, [email protected].

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

Did you check this 3 years after the bankrupt of Sabena as well? Perhaps it always worked...

bae146be

Post by bae146be »

Your message

Subject:

was not delivered to:

[email protected]

because:

User webmaster ([email protected]) not listed in Domino Directory

Tommypilot

Post by Tommypilot »

tolipanebas wrote:Try sending somebody you know at brusselsairlines an e-mail under his future e-mail adres (thus replacing @brusselsairlines.com by @sabena.com) and see what happens: If the mail is not returned to you as undeliverable after some time, it means the the adres (and thus the person) is known to that server, meaning the new name of Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express will indeed be Sabena...
Wait and see which fortune God will bring...

Even as an aviation enthousiast I don't care what the new name will be...I care about the future of aviation in Belgium and I am very curious of this "new" branded company's tactics, plans and strategies.
I still believe in it...but with not too much hope.

Regards,
Tommy
The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary! - Napoleon Bonaparte

maximenaeyaert

Post by maximenaeyaert »

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Quite right Tommy
I agree with you
The content is what really matters.
And not rejoicing at all after 5 yrs semi-paralysis.
Regards
Christophe

TWA

Post by TWA »

Unfortunately, they don't allow us to follow the progress on the paintjob of the A319 in Amsterdam. :(
Facility 1 still shows last week's customer VLM.

http://www.qaps.nl/inside.html

winglets

Post by winglets »

www.sabena.eu has been registered on 25 september 2006

You can check this yourself at http://www.whois.eu

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

TWA wrote:Unfortunately, they don't allow us to follow the progress on the paintjob of the A319 in Amsterdam. :(
Facility 1 still shows last week's customer VLM.

http://www.qaps.nl/inside.html

Not really a surprise ;) ;)

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

This is what I think about the name Sabena and they said it also in De Standaard:
Het is eerder onwaarschijnlijk dat de naam ''Sabena'' nieuw leven wordt ingeblazen, aangezien de naam nog steeds eigendom is van de curatoren van Sabena.
Regards
Bavo

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

Sparrow wrote:This is what I think about the name Sabena and they said it also in De Standaard:
Het is eerder onwaarschijnlijk dat de naam ''Sabena'' nieuw leven wordt ingeblazen, aangezien de naam nog steeds eigendom is van de curatoren van Sabena.
Regards
Bavo
English forum right..?