Bruges wants a low cost carrier

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Bruges wants a low cost carrier

Post by Atlantis »

The touristic department, hotels, and tour operators of Brugge are a little bit in panic because the total number of tourists are decreasing.

In that case they have several proposals like attracting a low cost carrier who can land at Ostend, Lille or Zaventem. Brugge asked also a direct railway connection between Zaventem and Brugge and a connection with the French HST-net.

Several weeks ago a first railway traject started between Lille and Brugge.

Source: De Standaard.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

That sound completely like the Flemish propaganda to me.

Charleroi airport is not far away from Bruges; actually it's only slightly further than Lille or zaventem.

Flemish politics don’t want to use Charleroi airport?
Too bad, it has everything they want !
<joke>would it be better if they rename it bruges south airport ?</joke>

Established02

Post by Established02 »

> That sound completely like the Flemish propaganda to me.

:?

> Charleroi airport is not far away from Bruges
> actually it's only slightly further than Lille or zaventem.

The distances from Bruges according to www.mappy.be

Ostend 29 km
Lille 75 km
Brussels 98 km
Charleroi 153 km

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Well one thing is sure! Ryanair flew from London to Ostend and they gave up! So that is indeed a bad sign and I really don't see potentially better route to bring tourists!

Not telling them to give up! Maybe advertise Brugge a little more! After all Charleroi and Zaventem are not that far!

TWA

Post by TWA »

Just wait for the new national carrier to start up, they will have very low fares as well in economy class ,I guess , as virgin and snba offer already low fares at this moment. I was amazed when I checked their new tool: "low fares finder" on both sites. Hope the new carrier will bring in not only Europeans but also lots of Americans and Asians willing to do the big Belgian tour including the city of Bruges.

But to be honest the number of tourist does not depend on low cost companies flying into this country but on the publicity and promotion of Belgium as a touristic highlight in Europe. Most touristic guides only mention Belgium in one sentence together with beer and disputes between the Flemish and Walloon communities. Check out eg.: lonely planet (they even say Brussels is unsafe at night which is not true ofcourse), ...
Last edited by TWA on 22 Jun 2006, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

> Ryanair flew from London to Ostend and they gave up!

As far as I remember, Ryanair flew also from London to Charleroi and they gave that up as well!

The reason why STN-OST did not work out for FR may be related to the competition of Eurostar, the proximity of Eurotunnel, ferry services(?)...

> So that is indeed a bad sign and I really don't see potentially better route to bring tourists!

Even though STN did not last for CRL either, obviously many other routes out of CRL did develop successfully.

Perhaps a more distant UK destination (like in the BHX or MAN region) could work for OST.

OST has seen holiday charters for decades, which shows that there are people out there willing to travel through OST.

SN30952

Re: Bruges wants a low cost carrier

Post by SN30952 »

Atlantis wrote:The touristic department, hotels, and tour operators of Brugge are a little bit in panic because the total number of tourists are decreasing.
If Brugge needs more incoming traffic than they have to create it. Brugge is exploiting its history - like other medieval towns, eg as Carcassone - so it up to Brugge to attract actively tourists.
Why do they not charter airplanes or trains. Why other people have to provide that for them, preferably for free?
If they can not do by themself, why should others do it for them?

b720

hunt for tourists

Post by b720 »

Indeed Bruges needs to send its people out there and attract tourists...relying on the Dutch, French, British, or german tourists is not enough. Most of the neighbours have already seen the city, and face it is a lovely place but not really a repeat destinantion (my opinion of course). I think that the tourist authorities of Bruges must target the "new" exporters of tourists, countries like Russia, India, and china. That is what the city of Geneva did five years ago, they sent delegations to these countries, and guess what!! they have manages to fill up their hotels on orthodox x-mas, chinese new year, diwali etc...
It is ridicoulous for every little town demanding an airport and lcc at its city gates.

N.B. Chareloi is pretty far away from Brugges, and kindly refrain from making "childish" political remarks.

Comet

Post by Comet »

People who want to go to Brugge will make their way there by whatever means - it's not far from the ferry terminals at Oostende or Zeebrugge for people from the UK (that is how many people from the UK enter Belgium).

Though I agree that a direct train from Brugge to Brussels Airport would be a good idea because it is a pain changing in Brussels when you have loads of luggage. That is the only part of the journey we do not like when we come to Belgium.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

SN30952

if it is Thursday this must be Brugge...

Post by SN30952 »

Did you know Brugge attracked quite a lot of Japanese tourists?
In the time Sabena was flying to Tokyo, regular (chains) of japanese tourists were programmed.
These group were often flying to other european cities or travelling by coach ( if it is Thursday this must be Brugge...) Many groups were also flying to CAS.
Casablanca was promoted as a "white town", the buildings that is :wink: in Japan. Also the japanese tourists could show a morocan entry visa on their tourist prize list: they had been in Africa.

Asian tourists are "fast" travellers. All has to be compact, as they want much in short time. That's why the in and out Brugge has to be fast. High speed train connections would be indicated, onto AMS or PAR. Just a couple hours sleep would be welcome to asian tourist, Amsterdam in the morning and Brugge in the afternoon. Overnight and onto Paris. Got it?

b720

asian tourists

Post by b720 »

What was mentioned about Japanese tourists is true. Compact and fast as they only enjoy up to 10 day holidays per year (similar to US). Although keep in mind that they spend HUGE amounts when they embark on their blitz trip to Europe, US, or Australia.. Price is almost never an issue, besides luxury item ships benefit trmendously from the Japanese tourist. Russina tourists are similar as they are big spenders too with more free days than the Japanese. It is difficult to imagine someone flying from japan, China, India, or even Russia just to visit Brugge..Indeed TGV connections are more important than an airstrip with one or two LCC flights to some meadow in the UK.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Established02 wrote:As far as I remember, Ryanair flew also from London to Charleroi and they gave that up as well!.
That's not the point is it? The Brussels to London route was saturated: Therefore 2 casualties: Virgin and Ryanair!
Established02 wrote:Even though STN did not last for CRL either, obviously many other routes out of CRL did develop successfully.
OST has seen holiday charters for decades, which shows that there are people out there willing to travel through OST.
Correct it me if I am wrong but aren't the people using both airlinks (Especially from Ostend) outgoing people? IE people living in Belgium going on a holliday somewhere else?

In my humble opinion they should upgrade the railway line(s) going to Brugge. But I think this is already the case no? Isn't the railway line linking Brussels to Brugge going to be 200km/h max fairly soon?

b720

eurostar

Post by b720 »

I think that many pax prefer eurostar to flights from belgium to london..it is much quicker if end destination is central London. BA works a lot on transfer passengers and business pax for the many companies located not too far away from heathrow. VLM seems to be doing well to lcy. Similar situation on Bru-paris run. Most prefer thalys hence all flights suspended between BRU and CDG (except for sn africa connecting run). Ryan and virgin are probably victims of the eurostar.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Is there more?
For inner use only.
Paul Boerjan nam om persoonlijke redenen ontslag als afgevaardigd bestuurder bij Westtoer, het West-Vlaams autonoom provinciebedrijf voor toerisme en recreatie. Directeur productontwikkeling Stefaan Gheysen neemt ten voorlopige titel zijn functie over.

DAT202D

Post by DAT202D »

What about Vueling?

Today i've been at EBOS to pick up my parents that came back from Mallorca, when all the sudden I heard a group of spanish tourists visiting the Belgian coast. In Bruges there are a lot of spanish tourists too... so I guess vueling would be a great deal for OST, just my 2 cents :wink:

ostair

Post by ostair »

Vueling would be great!

The mayor of Ostend would like this :D

I think that it all has to do with the airport manager at EBOS that there isn't a low cost carrier at the airport.

Surely some companies in this list might be interested in flying to Belgium,

Flybe
Jet2
Central wings
Sterling...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Comet wrote:Though I agree that a direct train from Brugge to Brussels Airport would be a good idea because it is a pain changing in Brussels when you have loads of luggage. That is the only part of the journey we do not like when we come to Belgium.
IMO not only a good connection between Brugge and Brussels airport, but a better connection between the airport and..... all begian cities. We have a lot of facilities to attract tourists: Brugge, Thermal region of Spa, Antwerp, many attractions in wallonia and flanders.....
The connection between the airoprt and whole Belgium must be adapted

SAB021

Post by SAB021 »

Airbus330lover wrote:IMO not only a good connection between Brugge and Brussels airport, but a better connection between the airport and..... all begian cities. We have a lot of facilities to attract tourists: Brugge, Thermal region of Spa, Antwerp, many attractions in wallonia and flanders.....
The connection between the airoprt and whole Belgium must be adapted
They are working on that already, with the 'diabolo' project. It will connect the airport railway station directly with Brussels, Antwerp and Leuven.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

The train seems like the best Idea to me. I don't think that the Brugge-based carrier will live long. You already have Oostende and Antwerpen, which are pretty close to Brugge. So if they add the rail connection, then they will already have 3 airports that tourists can use.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I also think that the train is far the best idea for a country like belgium.
The network is already very good.
That's why I also think that a train connection in charleroi airport is necessary.

High speed or not doent matter for short distance.