Brussels Airport: figures per month for 2006

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Percentages says not all.

When you took the Extra-EU figures of 2005, you have: 3.078.000 pax
When you took the Extra-EU figures of 2006, you have: 5.075.000 pax

That's almost 2 million pax more then 2005.

But Macquarie Airports changed the figures in October. The charters figures are now calculated in Intra and Extra-EU. That gives you a whole other view on those figures. Isn't is not strange that between Jan and Sep 2006 the % are always higher then 15% with a max in April( I think) of 33% and since Oct it's almost 0.5%.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Thanks for the clarification Atlantis.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Atlantis,

Thanks for your monthly reports. They are very informative and useful to the aviation enthusiasts community.
I want to follow André in his gratitude for your monthly updates. I had a file in which I monthly updated the figures myself, but since my computer crashed, I am very happy to have an overview of the data (past and present) overhere on Luchtzak. I still hope to recover that file though.

Brussels Airport is slowly recovering and the numbers are slowly going up, but the road will stil be long. On the extra-EU figures, am I wrong to suppose (can't check my data now) that probably extra-EU chartertraffic went down (Puket etc.) while extra-EU scheduled flights probably went up?

Much will be clarified when Brussels Airport publishes its annual figures and statistics in a few months (where you can see the top 10 routes intra and extra EU with the amount of passangers carried).

Greets,

Pieter

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Atlantis wrote:Brussels Airport received in December 1.077.000 pax. That's an increase with 3%

The total number of pax for 2006 is: 16.708.000. That means 545.000 pax more then in 2005.

Good job Brussels Airport!!

Next year: 17.500.000??
It's an increase of 3.4% from 2005. I don't think it's that great to be honest.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks André and Pieter for the nice comments.

@ Stefanel,

An increase of 3,4% is indeed not much but when you see the whole picture, problems with politicians, juridical and action groups, it is a progress.

Its much better that you can grow slowly and with reliable airlines. Look at the new ones: Hainan is doing fine with a 70 - 80% load factor. Etihad's one of the best destinations is BRU. SkyEurope is going to grow this year at BRU with three new destinations.

Aviation is not that simple. But we have to see it in a positive way and not always the bad things.

JOVAN

Brussels Airport Figures per Month 2006

Post by JOVAN »

In the last year of Sabena (2001) they transported something like 10 million passengers.
One of the (SR) policies was to make BRU a hub, with 3 or 5 connections daily to all important European business-cities. 5 waves a day with thousands of transit passengers going in all directions via BRU.

The problem at that time that the transfers were so complicated and expensive , because the airport was not designed for such transfer. A few month after SN went bankrupt, PIER A opened.

5 years later PIER A is still deserted most of the day.

PIER A is the perfect infrastructure for letting passengers transit from Schengen to Schengen destinations. At virtually no cost (no bussing, easy walking, plenty of room, )

Furthermore, even transits to and from non-Schengen destinations look simple to organize. PIER B still has this Interim Remote Departure Lounge(IRDL). Imagine there is a similar light building adjecent to PIER A, opposite the one on PIER B. How easy it would be to organize transfers (by bus) from A to B or vv. Customs and or immigration services could be easily organized there.

When I see the hassle and time needed at FRA, AMS, LHR,CGD to go from one gate to another. The potential for BRU is huge. Position BRU as "the RELAX airport of Europe.

As a frequent flyer I can compare Airports, and really BRU should have similar growth figures as DXB, THE HUB of the world. By re-thinking the shoppininf area ,maybe in the middle ofPIER A (and B?), imagine the business that can be generated there??

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Jovan.
You are so right.
regards from a frequent flyer.
Pat
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airport Figures per Month 2006

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN wrote:Position BRU as "the RELAX airport of Europe".
Like Vienna?
André
ex Sabena #26567

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

VIE is fine but not busy.
Rather take Zurich or Copenhagen, where they show respect for the passenger.

Or Dubai, perfect for Transit (not for departing because long queues for check in with EK)

The best airport I have ever seen: Atlanta: 4 paralel concourses connected by 'skytrain', quick connections. Even the immigration people are nicier than in the rest of the USA.

BRU already has 2 Piers, one Schengen, one non-Schengen. Disctance allows easy transfers by bus from A to B.

The potential is there for SN to fill their planes, 85% is better than 61 % occupancy rate I think?

Then they could go maybe for bigger and more confortable planes.

We talk about business , isn'it. No NMBS or DePost situations.

Potential to make something nice, efficient and still relax is there.

But I see a very, very, very under-utilized airport.

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Brutrends 2006 is now available from the Brussels Airport website (don't think this was posted before).

OO-VEX

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

OO-VEX wrote:Brutrends 2006 is now available from the Brussels Airport website (don't think this was posted before).

OO-VEX
It seems passengers prefer the train over the car to get to the airport ... . Nice to see!!! (number of cars at the cap parking dropped, passengers by train 300.000 more than last year)
Last edited by blackhawk on 07 Aug 2007, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

blackhawk wrote:
OO-VEX wrote:Brutrends 2006 is now available from the Brussels Airport website (don't think this was posted before).

OO-VEX
It seems passengers prefere the train over the car to get to the airport ... . Nice to see!!! (number of cars ate carp parking dropped, passengers by train 300.000 more than last year)
Not only the train but public transport in general. Take a look a those numbers for the Airport Line bus connection to Brussels by MIVB/STIB :arrow: more than 2 million!
Maybe the good train figures are the result of the Leuven connection?

OO-VEX

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Don't forget that last year, De Lijn, opened 7 to 8 new bus lines to the airport. They are in meantime all evaluated and they succeed. This year, also new bus lines are in the pipeline. This with the full support of Brussels Airport. De Lijn is still looking for drivers for those new routes.

I have no idea about the trains, but I suppose that the direct connection, bocht van Nossegem, Leuven - Airport is a big improvement: how many minutes: 15 instead to 55 I think.

With the new Diabolo project, Northern connection, more people will take the train to their work and airport.