Only Jewish passengers on certain Tamir Airways flights.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Only Jewish passengers on certain Tamir Airways flights.

Post by SN30952 »

Because of problems with baggage screening Tamir Airways reportedly allows only Jewish passengers on certain flights.
Tamir Airways is an airline based in Tel Aviv*, Israel. It operates domestic scheduled and air taxi flights from Sde Dov Airport, Tel Aviv to Ben Ya'aqov Airport (Rosh Pina) and Qiryat Shemona Airport.

Shin Bet security service advised the Israeli Ministry of Transport, and they decided that Arabs would not be allowed on (some) Tamir flights.

Israel's Ministry of Transport officials are working to find a solution in order to let all passengers to fly, as the reason is a financial dispute preventing Tamir Airways the use of luggage-scanning machines.

Tamir Airways
"When you feel the sky is the limit"
www.tamir-air.co.il
*14 Burla Street, Tel Aviv
Tel: 972-3-6998883 , 972-9-9584441 , Fax: 972-3-6998616
E-mail: [email protected]

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Where have you been missing FONS :roll: Hope all is okay and well.

And does this article of yours not speak about discrimination. I am surprised that such practices are prevalent around the world even today :roll:
Aum Sweet Aum.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Advisor wrote:Where have you been missing FONS :roll: Hope all is okay and well. And does this article of yours not speak about discrimination. I am surprised that such practices are prevalent around the world even today :roll:
Euh, I was on none of these flights, Advisor.

But the matter seems to be a security issue.
I suppose the airline does not want to pay for the screening, it sees it as duty of the authorities to provide for that service.
But it is at least discriminatory, if the criterion to board an airplane is race. That's even worse than 'apartheid', as that regime 'offered' an alternative in its segregation laws. Here it is excluding its own citizens, as many Israeli citizens are Arabs.

I think many potential customers will think twice before using such service. And as aviation often foreshadows what is to happen in society, the general public might also avert from the airline's country.
Bad, short or narrow sighted minds indeed.
As a belgian pipe smoking politician*: once said: Too much is too..

*"Trop is teveel en teveel is trop" en "Dat alles voor wat pensen en een kilo kompot"

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Well they got a point though!

I mean with the situation over there better be safe than sorry! it is such a shame though! A few rotten apples over there basically affect the well being of good people who just want to live a decent peaceful and quite life!

I cross my fingers for the forthcoming referendum!

No such situations should exist after all!

b720

Post by b720 »

It is a scandal that sane people still actually fly to that country... such practices are unacceptable whatever reasons are... better sorry than safe I would say...when machines are not available security personel can do the sreening manually... just imagine SNBA or Virgin express refusing passengers because of their religious affiliations... SCANDALOUS least that could be said.

SN30952

Too late

Post by SN30952 »

But as I wrote:
Israel's Ministry of Transport officials are working to find a solution in order to let all passengers to fly
Too late, the harm is done.
Too late for apologies, too.

How many passengers board their aircraft?
Let's exaggerate and say 1/4 might be Arabs.
How many people does an airline need to check 10 pieces of luggage?

I suppose one, and a professional can do it in 20 minutes?

Is that too much asking for?

b720

Post by b720 »

That is racial profiling...illegal in the "civilised world". ALL bags must be searched not only those of Palestinians or non Jewish Israelis. Acts of terror can also be commited by jews, hence ALL lugage must be screened not only 1/4.. If that is not possible, flights MUST be scrapped altogether.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

I support B720 in his views.

Lord made us all equal :wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
No doubt I agree with b720 this is not acceptable.
Regards
Pat
Hasta la victoria siempre.

earthman

Post by earthman »

This is indeed ridiculous, as it basically says 'all arabs are terrorists, and all jews are decent people'.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I understand thier security situation over there with frequent terrorist attacks, but i have to say this is a bit tasteless and ridiculous. I actually had to read and re-read this thread to be sure i was reading it correctly the first time. Israel is by far not a third world country. That being said, there are much better ways to handle a situation such as this. Someone needs to be placed in the unemployment line for making a stupid decision such as this!!!

Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Texas Guys makes a valid point.....

Israel is by far not a third world country. That being said, there are much better ways to handle a situation such as this.

I think they are some what parallel to the US in terms of security and screening....so y the fuss :roll:
Aum Sweet Aum.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I don't think this will last too long... Texasguy and B720 are sooo right in my opinion.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

SN30952

Suspect : without having any proof

Post by SN30952 »

b720 wrote: ALL lugage must be screened not only 1/4.. If that is not possible, flights MUST be scrapped altogether.

That's NOT how it works in real live.... Not even in illicit drugs checks.
All over the world, these checks are not on all luggage... Only suspect luggage is inspected.

Now what is a suspect luggage? iow, ask Scotland Yard what "a suspect house" is.
Definition of suspect:
Transitive verb: believe somebody is guilty: to believe that somebody may have committed a crime or wrongdoing without having any proof.

A pertinent question would have been - AND I was was late too to ask that:
Does Tamir Airways accept passengers in the suspect category without luggage?

This would have given us a clue why they only accept Jews on (some of) their flights.

btw the info was confirmed in a Ha'aretz article, I've been informed.
Try www.haaretz.com/
Haaretz is owned by the Schocken family.
And the online versions of Haaretz, both in Hebrew and English, are widely recognized to be among the most reliable and regularly updated news sites in Israel.

And indeed. Go to the site and search the site with the word 'Tamir', the reply is: (Tamir, with capital, it is a family name)

Transport Ministry: Solution found to end 'Jews only' flights
Zohar Blumenkrantz and Jack Khory, Haaretz Correspondents

The Transportation Ministry said it would install temporary X-ray scanning machines....
And they confirm:
"The Transportation Ministry, acting on instruction from the Shin Bet security service, had decided that Arabs would not be allowed on the flights following a financial dispute that prevented the use of luggage scanning machines in airports in the north. An investigation by Haaretz revealed that there was a Jewish passengers only policy on these flights.'

Udi Tamir, one of Tamir Flight's owners, confirmed Tuesday that non-Jews are not permitted on flights, saying he cannot allow all passengers on flights, because there is no scanning machine at the airport in Kiryat Shmona. Tamir added that he is operating according to security forces' instructions.

According to the Transportation Ministry, "This is not discrimination, but a technical malfunction.

Thanks for the clafications to Zohar Blumenkrantz and Jack Khory of Haaretz.