Fire at Sabena Technics

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bottie

Fire at Sabena Technics

Post by Bottie »

Just heard on the radio, there's a fire at a hangar where planes are repaired, and the access-roads to the airport are closed, so I presume it's at hangar 41.

They had to move some planes very fast, but more info they didn't say (for the moment)

Skystef

Re: Fire at SN Technics

Post by Skystef »

Bottie wrote:Just heard on the radio, there's a fire at a hangar where planes are repaired, and the access-roads to the airport are closed, so I presume it's at hangar 41.
Smaller Hangar 40 was on fire, got some pics from the dramatic scenery @ some distance.
But it gives a pretty good impression. Shots were made around 0240 am.

And the crop:

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

How sad :cry:.

According to the latest VRT radionews: 2 persons injured, 1 employee of SN technics and 1 fireman. 1 aircraft is written off, while two others are heavily damaged.

From the NOTAM:

NEW TODAY TIL 0605050400EST
HEAVY SMOKE EM OVER THE AD

NEW TODAY TIL 0605050200
RWY 02/20 CLSD

NEW TODAY TIL 0605050200
RWY 07R/25L CLSD

Also the ATIS confirms: "Expect vectoring for ILS approach rwy 25R. Arrivals rwy 25R. Departures rwy 25R. Taxiway A6 and taxiway inner 6 closed. Rwy 25L closed. Rwy 20 closed. Heavy smoke over the airport".

Thanks for the info and the pics.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Last edited by Stella_Caeli on 05 May 2006, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

Depretair

Fire in Hangar 40.

Post by Depretair »

Hello,

Yes indeed, this is the Hangar 40 for Heavy maintenance, you also have a medical department in this building.
Because we (the crew and myself) had to wait for the crew transport to go back home, we learned that 4 aircrafts where inside the hangar at the time of the fire. I heard that a 737 was completely destroyed and that an armavia had a lot of damages (the roof fell on the aircraft). I don't know much more about the 2 other aircrafts but i have heard the word Volare. I know that a 330 from SN had to make a check but i don't know where the plane is right now. Around 3h15LT the hangar was still under fire and a lot of smoke going true the airport. All the roads going to BRU Apt where closed but reopened shortly after 03h30LT.
Sad day for Brussels airport.
Keep smiling anyway.

Olivier

A320joske

Post by A320joske »

In the news of 6:00 they mentioned 4 aircraft completely damaged.

One was identified as a C130.

ostend_airport

Post by ostend_airport »

just on the news:
- 1 Armavia destroyed
- SNBA and Virgin aircraft pulled out

They did the D-checks there, now not possible. They will lose lots of costumers with this...
The damage is more then €10 million.

This is the 2nd aircraft Armavia loses in 1 week, not really welcome. I hope that the crash of the 1st isn't a technical fault...

greetz
yves

ostend_airport

Post by ostend_airport »

news update:

All flights are now cancelled from and to Brussels.

greetz
yves

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

ostend_airport wrote:just on the news:
- 1 Armavia destroyed
Very sad days for Armavia ...

I hope SN Technics wont lose customers, that would be very sad!
Tot hier en verder

elompi

Post by elompi »

At about 00:30 local time I saw in southerly direction a very dark cloud against the nightsky somewhat darker than the rest of the surrounding clouds near the city of Boom. As I thought that it could be a stormcloud I didn't gave it further notice. At 06 o'clock I listened to the local news and knew it wouldn't be to raining at all..
Last edited by elompi on 05 May 2006, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Dutch press release: Brand Loods Luchthaven Zaventem
(05 mei 2006)
Er is omstreeks middernacht brand uitgebroken in een vliegtuigloods van Sabena Technics (onderhoudshal voor vliegtuigen)

Brandweer BIAC en brandweer Zaventem waren onmiddellijk ter plaatse en kregen versterking van de korpsen van Vilvoorde, Brussel en Leuven.

Eén personeelslid van Sabena Technics werd met brandwonden overgebracht naar het Militair Hospitaal van Neder-over-Heembeek. Eén brandweerman werd licht gewond en ter plaatse verzorgd.

De toegangswegen tot de luchthaven zijn opnieuw vrijgegeven, maar wij raden de passagiers aan om zich zoveel mogelijk via het openbaar vervoer naar de luchthaven te begeven, bij voorkeur met de trein.

De luchthaven blijft open maar vertragingen als gevolg van de rookontwikkeling zijn zeer waarschijnlijk.

Het Passenger Information Center is geopend (02-753 73 00) - voor informatie aan de passagiers

-----
At 7.30, while sitting on the train, I was able to see the smoke and damage. Somewhere I can understand why they have cancelled the flights. At that time, the smoke was heading towards the terminals, also I was unable to see any aircrafmovement.

Employees of SN Technics do not need to come to the airport, they are able to stay at home.
(De werknemers van Sabena Technics zijn door de brand technisch werkloos. Zij moeten dan ook niet op hun werk verschijnen, zo meldt Biac nog.)

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

The technical and structural damages will be over 10 million euros, what about the financial damages that will follow?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Well I'm sure there is some kind of insurance. But they first need to investigate if it's a human error or not. If so, I don't think they'll get any money :?
Tot hier en verder

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Just in via PM: C-130 of the 15th Wing destroyed as well, seems to be the CH02.

regi

Post by regi »

yep, a C-130 and the Armavia plane.
This is no coincidence. This is faul play. 2 planes of the same company in a week.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

There was also a B737 from JetairFly in a neighbouring hangar.
There is no damage but the plane couldn't operate the flight
to Alicante this morning. An B757 will replace the B737 from JetairFly and will leave at 11:30 with more than six hours delay.
Last edited by airbuske on 05 May 2006, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

An article about the "accident" in French with some pictures:

http://www.rtl.be/Site/Index.aspx?PageI ... leID=59327

Greetings,
Kaninchen.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Destroyed/damaged aircraft:

Armavia A320 EK-32010
HellasJet A320 SX-BVB with Volare titles
BAF C-130 CH-02 according to Luchtzak

The TUI aircraft was OO-TUI.

OO-SFO is now to ZRH for an enginechange instead of HG41

Only a few flights where cancelled but almost all flights departed with a heavy delay.

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

regi wrote:yep, a C-130 and the Armavia plane.
This is no coincidence. This is faul play. 2 planes of the same company in a week.
It is more likely to be bad luck and the word is foul not faul.
:roll:
El

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

This is very bad news .. especially for Sabena Technics :? .Rebuilding a hangar is "easy", but the damage to the brand could be catastrophic and worst case mean... that the operations of Sabena Technics will never fully recover :(.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Let's first wait for the report to determine the cause for the fire to set of. Yet, the incident clearly puts restraints on SN technics' capacity and might result in airlines to divert their maintenance to other suppliers.