Fire at Sabena Technics

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

pietn

Post by pietn »

just on the news that the Beglian Air Component would buy a second-hand C-130, cost would be 20 million, but the ensurance would only pay 16 million for the lost plane, wich is in fact a logical thing. So again a money problem for the Belgian Air Component wich, according to a topic not so long ago, doesn't have enough money for maintenance of the current C-130's.

greetings, Pietn

BrusselsNick

Post by BrusselsNick »

unfortunately a hangar has got to burn off ,

why Brussels :(

all those 4 beatyful planes gone to misery ,

:s:s:s

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Are they going to build a new hangar soon?
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

b-west

Post by b-west »

Very good interview indeed... and, to bring a bright note, I loved the look on Danny Verstraetens face when Dewulf was talking about CFM, GE and other engines and plane types ;)

ehamspotter

Post by ehamspotter »

fokker_f27 wrote:Are they going to build a new hangar soon?
Hello;

Yes probably, but they told on the news from 7pm that building a
new hangar would take more than two years. :(

rgds:Jeroen

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

This is really a horrible day for the Belgian aviation and for all staff
of Sabena Technics I think I can say. I don't think
such a thing has already a lot happened in the world. A fully burned (big) hangar with 4 planes in it (NOT IN WARTIME OF COURSE).

Just horrible.

I WISH THE BEST AND MY CONDOLENCE TO ALL THE STAFF , WOUNDED OR NOT AND GET BETTER SOON ;)
Also thanks to all firemen and other rescue services, etc... trying to save the hangar.

For me , studying aircrafttechnician it's something I will remember my whole life VERY good. It are indeed very emotional shots to me , seeing the hangar falling down with planes in it. Just horrible. Wile watching the news I just felt horrible , my hair on my arms stood straight...really sad.

I hope Sabena Technics can find a good location soon and will not loose to much costumers. I would find it an enormous loss that it would get AGAIN in financial problems. When I first heard the news this morning I really was afraid that the SNBA A330 was also in it. But than I saw that it was not the 'new' hangar from Sabena Technics (the grey one with the yellow pylons next to it).Still I was surprised to hear that there was a C-130 from the Belgian airforce in it. Taught they did the maintenance of the C-130's at Melsbroek.

And as already told a lot , VERY SAD days for Armenian aviation too.

-2 Armavia A320-200's crashed in a couple of days
- also crashed in the first A320-200 was the CEO of Armavia.

So they will be going trough a hell I would think. I even start to think that it might get in serious financial troubles and maybe even get so far that they are not so far from a bankruptcy ? (but that are just personal speculations).

And that the other Armenian A320. 3 planes of the same country. Weird.

I do have one question. Since the fire was SO heavy , I would fear that there might be something damaged in the Sabena Technics hangar NEXT to the burned hangar? Maybe some aircraftparts in the hangar got damaged by the intense heat? THE worst scenario would be that they would have to check every instrument and aircraftpart in the 'store' for damage. Would be a killing work. Not mentioning all the equipment , planes that are lost now , and the injuries.

Hope Sabena Technics can keep itself tough in this hard times.

Injured people: get better soon , wish you the best!!!
rest of staff of Sabena Technics : strength and lots of success!!!

Best regards: Yannick

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Sad event indeed! Let's not draw our conclusions to quickly though. There will be an official enquiry which might take time but which will anyway be useful! All parties involved will learn from their mistakes and this will certainly allow other similar catastrophies to be avoided!

Why is belgium always in the news for bad reasons? :(

Andries

Post by Andries »

b-west wrote:I loved the look on Danny Verstraetens face when Dewulf was talking about CFM, GE and other engines and plane types ;)
Yep, the guy had absolutely NO idea what Dewulf was talking about ! Really hillarious !

On VTM they said they allready have other offices available and most files were indeed backed-up on an other location. They plan to move some heavy maintenance to Southern France for the moment untill they have a new hangar (rented or newly built) at Brussels. They also said they will try to spread the 150 people working at the hangar over different locations in order to keep them at work.

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

Andries wrote:
b-west wrote:I loved the look on Danny Verstraetens face when Dewulf was talking about CFM, GE and other engines and plane types ;)
Yep, the guy had absolutely NO idea what Dewulf was talking about ! Really hillarious !

On VTM they said they allready have other offices available and most files were indeed backed-up on an other location. They plan to move some heavy maintenance to Southern France for the moment untill they have a new hangar (rented or newly built) at Brussels. They also said they will try to spread the 150 people working at the hangar over different locations in order to keep them at work.

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
That's the spirit. Having a major setback and directly putting the energy in the future.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I know it's off-topic, but does anyone have a screenshot of that? :lol: My computer can't play videos accept avi...

I'm pretty shure both companys will recover. Our airport will just be ugly for a while, but I hope the injured will heal soon and a memorial should be placed there I think. A memorial to all the accidents at the airport including this and the 707 crash. It came as a shock for all the employees and spotters (including me) and I can't seem to stop chattering about this.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Rago

Post by Rago »

Atlantis wrote:I have news from the firefighters, I was shocked when I heard it.

The offices above the hangar could be rescued by the firefighters but it was BIAC who said that everything has to burn to the ground, so the firebrigade did what they was told to do.
Second thing: According to the firebrigade it was not an accident, but they said immediately that we never will know what the main cause is.
And according to the former Sabena intervention team the fire at the hangar, 6 or 7 years ago, was also not an accident. This was also an hangar of Sabena Technics.

PS: I will never put this words on this site when I'm not certain about the source. But if this is really true, this is bad, very bad.
Reaction on the red text : Bull-shit and if they did so, they are even more criminal than the guy(s) who have started the fire! So in that case : TO JAIL WITH THEM!

Reaction to orange text : Speculation! If they already know, before the site is accessible, they must already know why this is not an accident.

Reaction to blue text : Do you have an investigation report that confirms this?

Please don't start launching this kind of "VTM-isch" spectacle information...

Avro

Post by Avro »

I just come back from a few weeks of inactivity and hear all this shoking news which happened this week.

It's really terrible !! I would like to wish all the people from Sabena Technics to recover from this tragic event. I hope the company will make it without too many problems in the future. I'm with you .

As for the accident itself, I would suggest we wait before drawing some conclusions based on speculations.

Chris
:(

Tommypilot

Post by Tommypilot »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Why is belgium always in the news for bad reasons? :(
Don't be too pessimistic...life is already too short :wink:

I have no words for this accident and I hope SN Technics will not loose clients...a good thing from VEX and SN to give a sign to the company that they will still cooperate as before!

About speculations in the media...I think we are getting used to it... :wink:
Tommy
The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary! - Napoleon Bonaparte

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

It is definitely not an accident although this made it look like one. There is to much coincidence in this game.
Maybe some members here have some interests in hiding some facts?

Speculations but might be very possible

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Very sad day for the belgian aviation industry :(:(
And very sad coincidence for Armavia. :cry:

I hope it will not force anyone into bankruptcy. that would be a shame :!:
Andries wrote:
foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote:By the way, what can cause such a great fire in an iron complex?I m not aware of weither there is a gas pipe underneath this hangar...
The fire prevention equipment was certainly limited in that hangar, which is disappointing for such a great structure.
Have you never heard of jetfuel and skydrol (hydraulical fluid) ? Both are very flammable and I can assure you you won't put a fire of those out in just a minute ...
Having worked in the company that produces Skydrol (actually in the lab that analyses the samples coming from i.e. Sabena Technics), I can assure you that it is a non-flammable hydraulic fluid. Of course, when subjected to very high temperatures, it will disintegrate in one way or another, but by concept it has to withstand the stresses of avaiation hydraulic lines (high temperatures, high gradients of temperatures, very fast changes in temeprature) by a high safety margin.

ciao,
TriStar

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote:It is definitely not an accident although this made it look like one. There is to much coincidence in this game.
Maybe some members here have some interests in hiding some facts?
You've got to be kidding...

We're not the CIA here, just a bunch of guys who like airplanes... Get a grip on life :wink:

Andries

Post by Andries »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote:Maybe some members here have some interests in hiding some facts?
Some people never grow up ... :roll:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Bottie wrote: That's the spirit. Having a major setback and directly putting the energy in the future.
Fully agree with you Bottie :thumbsup:. Don't complain about a problem, fix it instead. It's good to see that SN technics is already setting up solutions.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Like an other member said, it's good that SN Technics belongs to a group. That gives more "security" when somethings happened. Otherwise the future of SN Technics was very uncertain.

I hope they will build a new and bigger hangar on the same place. The old one was smaller then the other hangars on that site.

Airbuspilot

Post by Airbuspilot »

What a shame....Another dent in the overall form of Belgian aviation...

Conspiration stories are arrising everywhere, as are these stories of the firebrigade being instructed to let it burn...

If all this is true.....