SN Brussels' expansion in Africa: it may acquire Camair

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

SN Brussels' expansion in Africa: it may acquire Camair

Post by sn26567 »

Finally a big move by SN BA in Africa: it wants to take over Cameroon Airlines, its 4 planes and its domestic and international routes! But it will have competitors:

https://www.aviation24.be/article11353.html

I think Camair has a 747! Interesting, no?
Last edited by sn26567 on 27 Oct 2006, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Has been rumoured for a long time...

It is no secret SN has been actively looking for a hub somewhere in the region and Cameroon is a stable central african country which would make it the ideal base for a kind of minihub in Douala.

Also, the bilateral between Cameroon and Belgium allows for a daily flight.

The planes used for the minihub would come from SN (the 6 BAE146) which have to undergo serious equipement upgrades to comply with the stricter naviation performance requirements in the EU as from 2007 (deemed too expensive for these old planes) and would be on surplus anyhow once a full merger between SN and TV is realized (also expected first half of 2007)

Anyway, we'll see what comes from it, as there is some stif competition.

Avro

Post by Avro »

This is indeed some very interesting news item.

However the competition might be strong as well. Let's hope SN gets the deal.

I doubt that RAM will get the deal. RAM is busy with other airlines like Air Gabon international.

What about Comair ? How many planes do they have ? Are they profitable ??

IMHO Kenya Airways might be the strongest competitor to SN.

Chris

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

I'm not so happy with their fleet:

737-200, 26 years old
737-300, 20 years old
757-200, 17 years old, stored

The 747-300 (21 years old) is active as HS-VAB with... Phuket Air

http://www.plane-spotters.net/Airline/Cameroon_Airlines

- - - - - - -

SA travel news (20 March):

Kenya Airways has confirmed that its Tanzanian partner airline, Precision Air, is looking into the possibility of tendering for a stake in Air Tanzania.

South African airways is currently in discussions with the Ministry of Public Enterprises over its “disengagement” from Air Tanzania. However, no new developments can be expected until SAA has formally pulled out of the merger. Precision Air could not yet comment on the matter.

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Nice to see that SN's African ambitions which seemed to have vanished lately, haven't !!
If this company has one chance to grow & survive, it's that way !!
I'll keep a close eye on this topic :)
Thanks for the info

TriStar :roll:

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

indeed, but their fleet is of no real importance, as the 737s would be replaced with SN's BAe146 anyhow.

SN is only interested in the routes, the ground equipement and the infrastructure, not the fleet really.

(the 757 is stored in MAD for over a year now BTW)

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

tolipanebas wrote:the stricter naviation performance requirements in the EU as from 2007
Where can i find some more info on this?

Thanks!
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

regi

Post by regi »

The idea sounds credible, to use the BEA 146 because it will not comply to new european regulations in the future.
But in Africa there is always a big demand for extra luggage capacity. And as far as I know, the BEA 146 has far less cargo capacity than a B737.
Anyway, a good move for SNBA.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

this would be a big move for SNBA, especcially considering their rather conservative managment up to now...

maybe they could acquire some newer A32x for european routes aswell and put the ex-TV 737's in africa? and would those planes fly in milky-way colors aswell?

StevenDeBacker

Post by StevenDeBacker »

I think that regi is wright regarding to his concerns about luggage. African passengers always take a lot of luggage with them. This might give problems with the BAE146. I know from experience that when a BAE146 is fully booked with only European passengers it is sometimes difficult to load all the luggage. So you can imagine the problem when you have a BAE146 that is fully booked with African passengers.

Putting the B737's from VEX in Africa is not a bad idea. The have enough space for the luggage and they even can take cargo as well. Afterall cargo is quite important for SN.

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

Where does this info come from?

Reliable sources or rumours?

Cheers,
Johan

haflinger

Post by haflinger »

The planes used for the minihub would come from SN (the 6 BAE146) which have to undergo serious equipement upgrades to comply with the stricter naviation performance requirements in the EU as from 2007 (deemed too expensive for these old planes) and would be on surplus anyhow once a full merger between SN and TV is realized (also expected first half of 2007)
What are you talking about? Need for acars? No big deal if it's only that.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Johan23 wrote:Where does this info come from?

Reliable sources or rumours?
Thanks for doubting about my information :?

In the forum you can find rumours. In the latest news section of Luchtzk, it is reliable information, confirmed by four newspapers in Morocco, France and Cameroon. Is that enough?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

@Tolipanebas

Can you tell us which type of nav equipment will need to be upgraded to comply with the reglations as from 2007 ??

Many thanks

Chris

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

Hi SN******,

I was only wondering where you found the info. No need to be angry.

Chill out,
Johan

an-148

Post by an-148 »

I guess that, if they intend to use the BAE on African routes, that they will reshape the seat and luggage rooms according to the needs : that will always be cheaper than upgrade the avionics for new european regulations

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

I think the GNS-X. And I do not think the 146 is RVSM approved.

Regards,
Johan

PS: correct me if I'm wrong

haflinger

Post by haflinger »

You'll still be allowed to fly without RVSM after 2007. RVSM is not necessary for the 146. The ceiling is 31000 with RVSM, without it's 28000, no such a difference.
For GNS-X, I guess it's true, but here again, it's not a big work.

Concerning the topic, I have serious doubt SN would expand in Africa in such a way, their management is so conservative! Moreover, they have to find pilots to fly the airplane in Africa...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Not new in SN house.
In 199*, SABENA dis a study to créate a hub in Africa and the plan was to move the 737-200 there.
Advantage of the 146... no need to big airports, ideal plane to serve local airports with light infrastructure.

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Avro wrote:I doubt that RAM will get the deal. RAM is busy with other airlines like Air Gabon international.
RAM is trying to develop a network of African Airlines. Camair would fit into that network well. The question would be if RAM had the management resources to be devoted to making Camair a success or if as you say, they are already too busy with other airlines and this oppurtunity with Camair is a bit too soon for it to be successful for them