Virgin America update

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Virgin America's first airplane

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1040140/L/

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Sigh, I guess they are going ahead with this.

Can someone tell them that SFO could be the worst airport to try and start an airline at?
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Will be interesting to see the response of United Airlines.

Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

For one, it looks better than most American carriers.
I looked it up at Wikipedia and I must say, they sound pretty bold with the IFE and the food, when most carriers are desperately cutting cost.

I am also wondering what their reasons are for locating themselves at San Francisco are. I previsously just assumed they'd be based in the east coastto be able to connect VS passengers onwards to US destination not served by VS. I know that VA is not controlled by Virgin group and therefore has no obligation to work together, but surely, both parties could benefit from a co-operation.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

My very smart wife pointed out to me this morning that Southwest doesn't fly to SFO so maybe that has something to do with it. Of course everyone will remember how much trouble Southwest had with weather delays when they did fly there so I'm not too hopeful that this will be a sucess.
US Airways - Fly with US

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Well, Southwest does fly to Oakland, just across the bay, where it's cheaper to operate anyway. ATA has just moved its operation from SFO to OAK as they're cooperating with Southwest. The competition is stiff out west for the low cost model. You have Southwest, Frontiers, and US Airways (formerly known as America West). But then again, I can't think of an area in the U.S. where low-cost carriers are not present. With the failure of Independent Air, east coast may not be an ideal place. Florida maybe a better choice, with AirTran and Southwest there.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Your point is valid, but I think going into airports where LCCs aren't is a model that US Airways (what AWA did for years) is using. Living in Phoenix Southwest and America West/US Airways own the market, but AWA always advertised that you could fly to Boston, Miami, SFO, Dulles and Denver (before WN started flying there). Unlike Oakland SFO is on Bart and you don't have to transfer to get to the airport. I'm sure that has something to do with the pick of SFO.

Of course weather and other delays will create problems with the network at large. I used to fly weekly between San Diego and Phoenix on Southwest and I knew which flights came in from SFO and avoided them as they would never be on time in the summer due to weather. You'd have to see which ones were coming in from Sacramento or Oakland and then choose that flight to Phoenix.
US Airways - Fly with US

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Virgin America may not take off til next year.

http://www.eyefortravel.com/print.asp?news=51218

sn26567

Re: Virgin America update

Post by sn26567 »

Links updated to https://www.alaskaair.com after merger of Virgin America and Alaska Airlines
André
ex Sabena #26567