Ryanair claimed unsafe in upcoming UK TV documentary

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

killerwhale65

Ryanair claimed unsafe in upcoming UK TV documentary

Post by killerwhale65 »

In a Channel 4 program, 2 undercover reporters worked as Ryanair Flight Attendant during 2 months. The program will deal with a series of allegations against the carrier including tired, overworked cabin crew and insufficient aircraft cleaning and safety checks.

Ryanair already reacted against the program. Michael O'Leary, Ryanair chief executive, has written several letters to Channel 4 in which he responded to every allegation with detailed rebuttals which eventually led to protracted correspondence containing numerous claims and counter-claims. A record of the lengthy correspondence has been put on the Ryanair website.

O’Leary adds that his offer to take part in a live, unedited interview to accompany the television documentary was declined by Channel 4, and that the carrier “will not agree to an interview which can then be edited and shredded by a production company which has already misled the airline as to the identity of its two reporters and has failed to substantiate any of the unfounded allegations made in its letters”.

Channel 4 was unavailable for comment.

The program will be broadcasted on UK's Channel 4 on February 13.

SOURCE: Flight International
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

horizon

Post by horizon »

of course they will be unsafe in the future, 20-25 minutes is not enough to do the maintainance properly. They have new aircrafts so in the beginning nothing will happen but after a while and with tired staff everything is possible. Ryan air is cheap but maybe will this cheap ticket be an ticket to ......... :cry: -fly with another company if possible eventhough they are expencier.

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

The correspondence between Dispatches and Ryanair has been passed to the CAA and the IAA so if there are safety issues they will be addressed.

Somehow I think we are going to hear a lot more about this story.

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

if you speak french, watch this swiss tv reportage about low cost airlines; a Ryan air pilot interview is quite scarry in it:
click here:
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSe ... 1356122000
and then clique on "emission" near the little tv icon

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Here's the reason why I don't fly low-cost.

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

I don't think all low-cost are the same.

You could name airlines like Ryanair Very Low Cost.

But other low-costs like Virgin-express and Air Berlin (just to name 2) are something totally different i think.
Matthias Thoen

burner737

Post by burner737 »

I don't think Virgin-Express is actualy low cost if you sometimes pay less with a "good" airline.

regards Tim

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

horizon wrote:of course they will be unsafe in the future, 20-25 minutes is not enough to do the maintainance properly. They have new aircrafts so in the beginning nothing will happen but after a while and with tired staff everything is possible. Ryan air is cheap but maybe will this cheap ticket be an ticket to ......... :cry: -fly with another company if possible eventhough they are expencier.
I don't quite see the connection between air safety and cleanliness of the cabin. (Air France and Northwest Airlines both suffered total airframe losses in 2005, witout being low-cost companies !). That said, Ryanair cabins are no more dirty than most - and would be even less if all passengers took their rubbish with them.
Ryanair has no "old" plane any more, which also means more security.
The Ryanair cabin staff may be tired at the end of a long day, as in any airline, which doesn't mean that they couldn't react properly in an emergency.
Nobody is forced to fly with Ryanair, but quite a lot of people do it, and keep doing it - personnally, I have logged more than 60 flights on Ryanair, and I have quite enjoyed them - without having ever felt myself in danger ...!

teach

Post by teach »

of course they will be unsafe in the future, 20-25 minutes is not enough to do the maintainance properly.
Is this a joke? What ever gave you the impression maintenance is done during turnarounds??? .
They have new aircrafts so in the beginning nothing will happen but after a while and with tired staff everything is possible.
Up until a few months ago they had some of the oldest 737s in the sky flying around. Nothing ever happened. Another moot point.

Oh, and 'expencier' is not a word.

regi

Post by regi »

If a dirty airplane is a sign of unsafety of an airline company, than we should see an imediate ban on Alitalia and Biman.

regi

Post by regi »

Look dear members, we have to accept some facts.
Ryanair is like ALDI or Lidl. Cheap, unpleasant to visit, but no outdated products, no safety problems. Their staff strikes less than Carrefour or Auchan. Not really dirty. Just, unpleasant. I rather go to more upmarket shops. But I do economize as well - sometimes.
O'Learry is just a bookkeeper - see his curriculum. He would hate it if a Ryanair jet would crash. Because of the costs involved. And it is thanks to his "Scrooge" mentality that millions of people can afford it to fly all over Europe. It is thanks to the same mentality of the Aldi twin brother (the richiest men of Germany btw) that many europeans can enjoy smoked salmon.

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

I'm sure I've heard Micheal O'Leary say "If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident".
Safety is one cost no airline can afford to cut.

By the way has anyone read through the correspondence on the Ryanair site? It make some very interesting reading and gives an insight of how airlines operate and how television documentaries are made.

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

I have logged more than 60 flights on Ryanair, and I have quite enjoyed them - without having ever felt myself in danger ...!
Was that for business or pleasure? Do you consider the effect on the environment of flying that much?

John

regi

Post by regi »

On the other hand, I received many angry replies when I wrote some months ago about my first flight with Ryanair, which was delayed by 4 hours because of something technical. And when I went outside I heard a airport guy say in the cockpit to the 2 officers "in that case it is a maintenance issue"
And Ryanair published a reason for this delay which was a blunt lie. (delay at a Italian airport)
Look, they do lie, they don't care, they get away with it. But the other ones are not better, just fancier.
I don't like types like O'Learry. But who cares? Certainly he doesn't . He is doing a job, and in his case, he is doing it pretty well.
You knwo what, dear members, let us propose to make O'Learry big boss of Alitalia. See what happens than.

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Eurapart wrote:Do you consider the effect on the environment of flying that much?

John
Do you consider the effects on the environment if you would drive the same distance the plane does in 60 flights?? The plane flies anyway, weather you are on it or not. But when you fly your car stays at home. Thats one car less.

PS: 60 flights is nothing for some people. Some do travel WAY more then that ... a year.
Matthias Thoen

earthman

Post by earthman »

regi wrote:If a dirty airplane is a sign of unsafety of an airline company, than we should see an imediate ban on Alitalia and Biman.
And the return legs of Transavia flights.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Another anti Ryanair post...
Why is it that certain people dislike Ryanair so much on this site? Is it a success thing or something? His airline is doing much better than some other European carriers that come to mind... Go and have a go at them!

Emirates

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

The plane flies anyway, weather you are on it or not. But when you fly your car stays at home. Thats one car less.

Yes, that is true. There is a lot of unnecessary travel these days. I know as I have to do a lot with my job, although I should be able to cut back on car mileage by at least 10% this year. I also drive an efficient car that generates only 110gm / km CO2.

Getting back on topic:
Why is it that certain people dislike Ryanair so much on this site? Is it a success thing or something?

Perhaps it is because Ryanair don't go out of their way to provide a service, its passengers would like. They concentrate on ticket price and charge extra for everything else. That is fine if you read their terms and conditions and follow them, but expensive if you don't. Price is important to passengers otherwise they wouldn't fly Ryanair. I guess we all get worried if a company gets close to gaining a monopoly.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

If you pay second class prices, be prepared for second class product. Why do people expect so much? I don't think that its unfair to charge for things, when you giving away fares for 1p+tax.

I don't think Ryanair has a monopoly really, if you take Belgium for an example, Ryanair has a very hard time here. I'm sure we won't see them at Zaventem in the future, if SN have anything to do with it.

Emirates

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

I don't think Ryanair has a monopoly really, if you take Belgium for an example, Ryanair has a very hard time here. I'm sure we won't see them at Zaventem in the future, if SN have anything to do with it.

Yes, Ryanair has had a tough time at Charleroi, with the EU Aviation Minister getting involved. They have a fleet of 225 aircraft planned and ordered for the future with options on a further 200. That's when people will start to talk of monopolies.

I don't think they have any intention of operating from Zaventem as the landing fees will be much higher than Brussels South. They don't want to fly to airports with high charges and slow turnaround times.