And you thought your airport was bad

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

And you thought your airport was bad

Post by bits44 »

One of the most travelled airports rated as one of the worst!

Only take carry on, you may never see your stowed luggage again.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/01/ ... 89841.html
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

Another bad airport was FRA, but this was about 3-4 years ago, now it seems that they are loosing less my baggages, but that could just be my impression.

Regards
KLM671 :wave:

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

We had trouble in AMS twice.

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

In 2001 i had about 15 times my baggage lost and sended the day later when i was connecting trough amsterdam, but lately, they never loose mine.

Regards

regi

Post by regi »

To confirm that I am an absolute weird person: not 1 piece of luggage was ever lost. Just 2 cases got heavely damaged (by Alitalia, who else)

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

regi wrote:To confirm that I am an absolute weird person: not 1 piece of luggage was ever lost. Just 2 cases got heavely damaged (by Alitalia, who else)
Are you sure it was Alitalia and not the airport staff/ramp workers?

Regards

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

My skateboard was once lost in AMS on a trip from Brussels to Tokyo (Narita). It actually missed the transit in AMS. :-)
Finally, it came with the next flight and was sent home(in Tokyo). I received it 2 days later
I should say it wasn t too bad as I already had enough luggage to carry.
Never put treasures in your luggage, experienced bagage-handlers can guess what is inside just by carrying them.

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote: Never put treasures in your luggage, experienced bagage-handlers can guess what is inside just by carrying them.
Unfortunately you are right :( !!

Regards

earthman

Post by earthman »

You could have placed your other luggage on the skateboard, then you wouldn't have had to carry it.

My luggage never got lost so far, although I did have to spend quite some time waiting at the belt until someone finally bothered to unload it. But I must say I usually fly on direct flights.

I once flew AMS-SFO via philadelphia, and I had to get my luggage off the belt in philadelphia, have it checked by customs, and then hand it over to a few guys standing with a truck right outside the terminal. It was a bit suspicious, but everything did arrive at SFO in the end.

MX727

Post by MX727 »

I've never had my luggage lost but ¿what about when security messes up with it? Everything inside is all messed up and comes with a letter where they take no responsibility if anything is missing or broken or whatever. :? Real touchy :roll: Anything for safer skies!
Regards,
JAHC

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

MX727 wrote:I've never had my luggage lost but ¿what about when security messes up with it? Everything inside is all messed up and comes with a letter where they take no responsibility if anything is missing or broken or whatever. :? Real touchy :roll: Anything for safer skies!
Regards,
JAHC
Have they done that to you? Fortunately they have never done that to me!

Regards

MX727

Post by MX727 »

Yeah....they have done it twice, once in DFW and then in IAH, sponsored by the US Department of Homeland Security. :?
Regards,
JAHC

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

Another good reason to not connect in the U.S.A, after customs and security!

Regards

MX727

Post by MX727 »

You bet KLM, the only porblem with flying direct to Europe from MTY (we are just 260 km from the US border) are prices, most of the times flying through the US is cheaper for us, so it's worth the inconvenience. Actually we only have one direct flight to Madrid with Aeroméxico and its not even on a daily basis. :shakehead:
Regards,
JAHC

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

Oh, ok, so what airport do you drive to in the US?

Regards

MX727

Post by MX727 »

We drive to McAllen or Harlingen, TX. Also, both AA and CO have several flights a day between MTY and DFW / IAH, and it cost almost the same.
Regards,
JAHC

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

But why not flying to MEX? Several european airlines fly there! Is it so much more expensive to travel without going trough the US?

Regards

maximus

Post by maximus »

I nominate South African and JNB Int'l to be the worst in regards to luggage lost it transit.
It has happened twice (both directions) PER-JNB-FRA (vv)...I'll be sticking to Singapore next time

MX727

Post by MX727 »

But why not flying to MEX? Several european airlines fly there! Is it so much more expensive to travel without going trough the US?
In fact it is, because flights between MTY and MEX are very expensive(between $350-500 USD round trip). Air travel in Mexico, in general, is very expensive :( . Even though new LCC are starting up this year (Interjet, Volaris) to compete with Mexicana, Aeroméxico and Aviacsa, they won't fly to MEX, so there is a little inconvenience. That is why, al least from MTY, is cheaper to go to Europe using american carriers. :?

Regards,
JAHC

DFW

Post by DFW »

maximus wrote:I nominate South African and JNB Int'l to be the worst in regards to luggage lost it transit.
It has happened twice (both directions) PER-JNB-FRA (vv)...I'll be sticking to Singapore next time
I'll tell you one reason why I think Singapore is absolutely the best airline in the world .
<------ (aside from the obvious)

We had an expensive baby stroller stolen after we arrived in Singapore. In fact, I saw it being taken away by another couple. But I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking there must have been two identical strollers onboard, and patiently waited for the baggage handlers to bring up the rest. :lookaround:

Over the next several days, Singapore Airlines was in daily communication with us on the status of their search. After they gave up, they compensated us for almost the full value of the stroller, even though it wasn't their fault.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?