Explosions in a fuel depot near Luton Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

liebensd

Explosions in a fuel depot near Luton Airport

Post by liebensd »

There is a massive fire in a aircraft-fuel depot near Luton Airport. The should be casuals. The airport it self shouldn't be affected.
For moreBBC news

Greetz,

Dave

westwings

Post by westwings »

The airport itself and the flights are not affected but the M1 motorways is closed between exit 6 & 12 so there should be some problems to get to the airport I guess.
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

Comet

Post by Comet »

As a massive plume of black gunk rises into the sky and nearly blocks out the sun, people have been told to stay indoors with doors and windows closed. There is very little info available on the news, about number of casualties etc.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

FedEx

Post by FedEx »

The fuel at this major depot includes Aviation fuel used at both Luton & Heathrow.

regi

Post by regi »

Some weeks ago a big oil depot bursted in Antwerp, Belgium. Luckely enough it didn't burn. But the smell was terrible for some days.
It is the price of our industrilised society. Accidents will always happen. If it are accidents.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Eye whitnesses saw a small Cessna flying low over the area. Suspecius activity.

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

The bbc says enough fuel at LHR until Tuesday, and I am flying the the Cayman Islands on Tuesday....Stop at Shannon anyone?

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

They wil get more fuel to LHR by Tuesday. There is a big oil refinery near Southampton (Fawley) and I know trains sometimes run from the oil refineries on the River Humber to Langley and Colnbrook oil terminals carrying fuel for Heathrow

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

I saw nothing. I was in a pub drinking my Guiness. hehehe, And then my mother who came to London to visit me landed today in Gatwick. She called me after her landing and told me the sky was black, and saw a lot of smoke from the window plane... I didn't really belived her, i was like, OK Mom !!!! hehehe Then i much later we saw on the TV the big petrol explosion...
If you were in lonfdon, have you seen something ? The images are so dramatic...

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Humberside wrote:They wil get more fuel to LHR by Tuesday. There is a big oil refinery near Southampton (Fawley) and I know trains sometimes run from the oil refineries on the River Humber to Langley and Colnbrook oil terminals carrying fuel for Heathrow
Official Statement : Nothing to worry about. Fuel stocks have been made available.

Thank the joint efforts of all the fuel companies in times of need :o

Some important facts that went up in flames :roll:

20 petrol tanks were involved, each said to hold three million gallons of fuel.

The Buncefield depot is UK's 5th largest fuel depot is a major distribution terminal operated by Total and part-owned by Texaco, storing oil, petrol as well as kerosene which supplies airports across the region, including Heathrow and Luton. Noticably, The depot is also used by BP, Shell & British Pipeline. :roll:

For information you can call a police casualty bureau on 0800 096 0095, or from abroad on 0207 1580125.

What TOTAL said

Texaco Said

LATEST NEWS
Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal fire - 12.30pm 11/12/05

Texaco has offered its assistance to Total, the operators of the Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal (HOSL), following the fire at the terminal. The cause of the incident is not currently known, however our immediate concern is for those immediately affected.

Texaco is encouraging motorists not to panic buy at service stations. Texaco is assessing the impact of the incident and has contingency plans in place to ensure fuel products are distributed to customers in the region.

About HOSL
HOSL is a storage and distribution terminal of fuel products. Texaco has a 40% share in HOSL and Total is the majority owner (60%) and operator of HOSL.

For media enquiries please contact the press office on 020 7719 4477.
Aum Sweet Aum.