What's happening in Charleroi and Maastricht

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

an-148

What's happening in Charleroi and Maastricht

Post by an-148 »

Since today morning, one EZY flight from/to Berlin Schoenefeld was diverted from Maastricht to LGG and the same happened with 3 Ryanair flights due to land/depart from Charleroi!
Someone has an idea about what's happening?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Fog?
Tot hier en verder

an-148

Post by an-148 »

Could be.
I thought that MST and CRL were cat3 !!!!!!!!!!!

Airbus330lover

Re: What's happening in Charleroi and Maastricht

Post by Airbus330lover »

an-148 wrote:Since today morning, one EZY flight from/to Berlin Schoenefeld was diverted from Maastricht to LGG and the same happened with 3 Ryanair flights due to land/depart from Charleroi!
Someone has an idea about what's happening?
Fog for sure.

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Indeed fog was the cause of at least the EZY diversion.
View at MST was below 100M this morning.

Greetings,
Yvo

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

an-148 wrote:Could be.
I thought that MST and CRL were cat3 !!!!!!!!!!!
CRL is CAT 1 only.

winglets

Post by winglets »

Dear All,

Could somebody explain the different categories,

Thanks

an-148

Post by an-148 »

As soon as landings are not happening on visual flight rules (VFR: like most of sportplanes), the airport is equipped to allow IFR landings (Instrumental flight rules) and therefore uses a guidance system called ILS (giving a glide slope along a vertical radiosignal extending runway direction and along a descending slope-mostly 3degrees-cutting the runway behind the threshold) When the aircraft follows exactly the crossing point of both slopes, he is supposed to touch the runway on the good heading and at the good touchpoint.
Depending of the precision of this ILS, it is sorted under cat 1,2,3a,3b (last one would theoretically allow complete automatic landing).
There is also to notice that the precision of the ILS decoder of the aircraft is ranked the same way, so the limit for ILS landing will be the limit of the less precise instrument.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Liege is often receiving unexpected flights when it's foggy, thanks to its modern installation (ILS cat III i think).

See http://users.skynet.be/westaviation/AIP/EBLG.pdf
Page 19

SpottingEHBK

Post by SpottingEHBK »

Maastricht is indeed equipped with CAT 1 :cry:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Fog was indeed THE reason, I overflew Belgium at around 2 PM and apart from Brussels airport Belgium was covered with thick fog.

Note that Ryanair can't land in foggy conditions like established airlines as SN Brussels Airlines, British Airways, etc... as Ryanair doesn't train its pilots for CAT III-operations. Cheaper I guess :roll:

Flyeco

Post by Flyeco »

luchtzak wrote:as Ryanair doesn't train its pilots for CAT III-operations. Cheaper I guess :roll:
You must be making people smile when you write something like that, it is particularly ridiculous.
Pilots are landing on others CAT III airports on Ryanair network...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Well, I have learnt from pilots recently that however Ryanair B737 are equipped with a CATIII auto-landing system the pilots are not trained to perform an auto-land. Ryanair pilots may only land in CAT I operations, so not in foggy conditions.

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan »

Everything into Weeze was diverted to Hahn today. Only flight that made it in was the daily FR from PIK
Must have been an expensive day for FR....

Flyeco

Post by Flyeco »

luchtzak wrote:Well, I have learnt from pilots recently that however Ryanair B737 are equipped with a CATIII auto-landing system the pilots are not trained to perform an auto-land. Ryanair pilots may only land in CAT I operations, so not in foggy conditions.
What ? Ryanair employs semi-pilots which have semi-qualification :D ?
So in this ridiculous way, some of them are formed to land on cat3 (in hahn, dublin or stansted) and some others are less paid to land only on cat 1 airports :twisted:

pressman

Post by pressman »

A Cat 1 Approach can indeed be into fog for a start ,you only need to see a certain number of approach lights to continue the approach , these can be seen through fog or cloud , ryanair pilots are of course trained in Low visibility operations.

The different categories of the runways refer to the minimums allowed for the approach in both visibility and altiude .
Might I also add that ryanair pilots are as well trained as any other pilots in the industry , as a matter of fact we actually make far more TOs and landings than many in the industry and are probably a lot better practiced than many , to compare a Ryr 738 to those rust buckets SN call planes is also ridiculous , the AVRO is certified only to cat II the 738 to cat III
Oh yes , I seem to remember being certified for CAT III operations as well , in the Ryr Training centre in EMA .
Last edited by pressman on 20 Nov 2005, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Dear pressman,

I think you should show a bit more respect to people who are posting information with all good intentions and to the best of their knowledge.

As far as I know you are correct (although not on the "rust buckets SN call planes" part), but that still doesn't mean you have the right to be so arrogant to other users. You could have said the same comment in a much friendlier way.

This post is :offtopic: , so please avoid going into discussion about this.

Let's just keep Luchtzak a friendly home for all aviators. Thank you.

Regards, :wink:
Sebas

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

If they are not trained to land with cat III, what's the point to go to Liege which has cat III then ?

A390

Post by A390 »

Hi all,

just to give some technical background on Low vis Operations:

cat 2 certified aircraft need 300m RVR (=runway visual range) to land
cat3A certified aircraft need 200m RVR
cat 3B certified aircraft need 75 m RVR

Due to technical constraints , the Avro is Cat 2 , 737-800 is cat 3A and A320/330/340 is cat 3B capable.

Cat 3C does not exist yet: it would mean that the aircraft woult also taxi to the gate on autopilot...

Pilots not (yet) qualified cat 2/3 are not of a lesser quality, but either do not have enough hours on type, or did not receive the supplementary training .

To enable a cat2/3 landing 4 conditions must be met:

-aircraft certified cat 2/3 (and no tech failure affecting this)
-aircrew certified cat 2/3 and current
-runway equiped and approved for cat 2/3 operations
-low visibility procedures in force at the airport

Hope this clarifies the debate

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Flyeco wrote:
luchtzak wrote:Well, I have learnt from pilots recently that however Ryanair B737 are equipped with a CATIII auto-landing system the pilots are not trained to perform an auto-land. Ryanair pilots may only land in CAT I operations, so not in foggy conditions.
What ? Ryanair employs semi-pilots which have semi-qualification :D ?
So in this ridiculous way, some of them are formed to land on cat3 (in hahn, dublin or stansted) and some others are less paid to land only on cat 1 airports :twisted:
As a aiprort is CAT III this will not say that the land in CAT III conditions