Ryanair expand at Charleroi?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Ryanair expand at Charleroi?

Post by Atlantis »

If it belongs to Ryanair they put two more aircrafts at the airport of Charleroi and serve 25 routes instead of 11 today.

But it's not Ryanair who decide. It's the Walloon government and in this case it's mister André Antoine. And believe it or not but the whole case is made for Ryanair. The restrictions about noise will be made more flexible in the morning and evening and let Ryanair allow to land after 23 hour when an aircraft has some delay.

Ryanair will increase the passenger figures from 2 million now to 5 million.

That's typical for Belgium. In the case of Zaventem: three governments and the federal government has to decide about the noise restrictions and on the side of Walloon, only one person can decide about that problem.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Article (in french, sorry)
http://www.lalibre.be/article.phtml?id= ... _id=250958

Auto translation from google :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

The walloon government is working hard to expand both airport of liege and charleroi.
As said in the article, new noice restriction for charleroi and many noice isolation in houses around liege
Last edited by Acid-drop on 15 Nov 2005, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dude320

Post by Dude320 »

Well to be honest I would like to see additional routes to the East...

Maybe Wizz Air or other operators could link BRU South with Eastern Europe...

They should attract Easyjet, so we could have the battle of the low fares in Belgium...

pascal-air

Re: Ryanair expand at Charleroi?

Post by pascal-air »

Atlantis wrote:That's typical for Belgium. In the case of Zaventem: three governments and the federal government has to decide about the noise restrictions and on the side of Walloon, only one person can decide about that problem.
Of course, Charleroi only impacts the wallon region...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's not so simple like that: the whole Walloon department would take airlines over from Zaventem. Look at the question of Walloon to bring some flights of SNBA and Virgin to Charleroi. This is not Belgium any more but everyone for it's own.

At Charleroi they could everything, also at LGG. In the board of LGG is José Happard one of the leading persons.

It's very obvious that they want to take flights and airlines from Flanders and they don't want a solution for BRU.

waldova

Post by waldova »

Dude320 wrote:
They should attract Easyjet, so we could have the battle of the low fares in Belgium...
I think if easyjet will come to Belgium they will fly to Brussels National airport and not to Charleroi. I thought they were already some plans and talks with easyjet in case they want to come to use the old satelite and renew it. But I'm sure that one day we will see easyjet and then I think it will be more likely to see them in Zaventem then Charleroi.

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

waldova wrote:I think if easyjet will come to Belgium they will fly to Brussels National airport and not to Charleroi.
I believe the same since they are not very present on secondary airports (though they easily could).

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

Atlantis wrote:Ryanair will increase the passenger figures from 2 million now to 5 million.
That's huge if compared with the 17 of Zaventem. Can CRL handle it with the actual infrastructure? For what I've seen a collapse is granted.

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

I spoke to the director of Nîmes Airport who was quite confident to have soon a flight to Charleroi with Ryanair...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Rayman wrote:Can CRL handle it with the actual infrastructure? For what I've seen a collapse is granted.
You seem to forget that CRL is currently building a new terminal with a capacity of 3 million pax.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

sn26567 wrote:You seem to forget that CRL is currently building a new terminal with a capacity of 3 million pax.
Sorry :oops:

But still, Atlantis is mentioning 5 mln and that's considerable.
On the other hand also LIN was meant for 6-7 mln and it was running double before the switch to MXP. It was like a time bomb, at peak waves you could hear the "tik-tak".

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

beaucaire wrote:I spoke to the director of Nîmes Airport who was quite confident to have soon a flight to Charleroi with Ryanair...
It will be a nice offer.
Many belgians have a second residence in the region.
And the connections are not so easy (Carcassonne is far away and VEX go to Toulon also far and only seasonal).
The solution for the moment is by TGV.

How is the result of the LONDON NIMES route?

danieln

Post by danieln »

Doe anyone know what the official passenger capacity is of the current CRL terminal? (Not the actual use, as I guess it will be higher than the official number)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

danieln wrote:Doe anyone know what the official passenger capacity is of the current CRL terminal?
Two million pax, meaning that the airport currntly runs at capacity.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567 wrote:
danieln wrote:Doe anyone know what the official passenger capacity is of the current CRL terminal?
Two million pax, meaning that the airport currntly runs at capacity.
Wrong.

"The new terminal will have a capacity of 3 million passengers whereas the current terminal was initially conceived for one million passengers and has welcomed 2 million passengers in 2004."

Still, 1 million is optimistic, since the new terminal of liege is suppose to be also 1 million but is MUCH bigger than charleroi's one.

Anyway, the conclusion is that the current terminal is WAY TOO SMALL and that they should concider making the new one able to grow easily as in liege.

Source :
Charleroi : https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... e&sid=7719
Liège: https://www.aviation24.be/article8473.html

danieln

Post by danieln »

Thanks for the answer. I just wanted to check if Ryanair could fly 5 million people to/from an airport that is designed for 3 million pax. So I guess it will be possible :))

And now -of course- the question which new destinations would be interesting?!
For me Bratislava (cheap shopping) and Alghero would be fine.

AirbusA350

Post by AirbusA350 »

waldova wrote:
Dude320 wrote:
I think if easyjet will come to Belgium they will fly to Brussels National airport and not to Charleroi. I thought they were already some plans and talks with easyjet in case they want to come to use the old satelite and renew it. But I'm sure that one day we will see easyjet and then I think it will be more likely to see them in Zaventem then Charleroi.
This is very true. Easyjet will not fly fro CRL, most likely, because it doesn't fit the its philosophy , which underlines the importance of the central airports. There are few exceptions, for example CIA(Rome Ciampinio), from where U2 serves nine destinations. What is very surprising- U2 doesn't fly from BRU and some of the Scandinavian countries (in exception of CPH) and there definitely is a no-frills market in these countries. If easyjet enters Belgium the position of Virgin Express will be in great danger and I would give the winning hand to easyjet.

AirbusA350

Post by AirbusA350 »

danieln wrote:And now -of course- the question which new destinations would be interesting?!
For me Bratislava (cheap shopping) and Alghero would be fine.
To answer Your very good question I would have to say KRK(Krakow), RIX(Riga),POZ(Poznan),WRO(Wroclaw). These cities have no connections to Belgium and first of all to Brussels. Cities like KRK and RIX are amongst the biggest tourist attractions in EU and they also need biz connections, but for these I do not expect FR's schedule to comply with the demanded hours of departure and arrival.

pressman

Post by pressman »

The day they expand there , monkeys will fly outta my ass

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

The day they expand there , monkeys will fly outta my ass