SN gets 2 additional slots for LGW

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

SN gets 2 additional slots for LGW

Post by tolipanebas »

Today, SN Brussels Airlines informed staff and travel agents they have obtained 2 additional slots for the heavily congested airport of London-Gatwick.

Until now, SN was allowed to operate 2 daily rotations (morning/evening) on weekdays only and an single evening flight on Sundays. The 2 additional slots now obtained will allow SN to offer morning flights on Saturdays and Sundays as well, thus linking the South of the UK with the African network of SN all week round as well as offer Belgian tourist the possibility to visit London on a short weekend stay (1 night stay iso 2).

Flights will be operated by Avro RJ or during peak moments by A319.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice to hear that.

BTW do you know how LGW is doing (business pax wise) ? I suppose it's not that bad because they asked for more slots ? But how does it come that SN is able to make this route profitbale while BA wasn't successful on it ?

Chris

av8or_guy

Post by av8or_guy »

i flew that flight when i was going to FL and it was pretty full i saw on that flight that all kinds of bussiness men went on that flight to and back from LGW so there is obviously enough capacity on my flight every seat was taken

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Ba mainly focused on the route Heathrow to Brussels because it's far more profitable for them! Sn wanting to have a presence in the UK I suppose this makes sense considering that Gatwick is cheaper!

Dunno how they added-up their Numbers but to me it really doesn't make a lot of sense! Gatwick is further away from London has less reliable connections to London and has less business passengers. Don't count on the tourists either it makes less and less sense to take the plane now!

But I do trust SN don't think they gamble much these days!

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

LGW isn't that bad for business travellers. And don't forget there are lots of BA connections out of LGW too (caribbean and more leisure destinations). The LGW is running just fine.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Good news for SN to take the advantage of two more slots at Gatwick.

And more important for the pax they want to attract: businessmen. Don't forget, time is money. so they don't like long ques, big airports. They prefer smaller airports like Gatwick. SN is a smart player in that case.

Look at VLM, the same story in Antwerp and London City. Small airports are a very good business for those airlines.

Good job and lets hope they will attract a lot of people for their other destinations like Africa. :wink:

Avro

Post by Avro »

OK thanks for the feedback guys :)

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

And more important for the pax they want to attract: businessmen. Don't forget, time is money. so they don't like long ques, big airports. They prefer smaller airports like Gatwick. SN is a smart player in that case.
So does this mean that Gatwick airport is small? 31.4 million passengers per year. 7th largest airport for international passengers handled. Busiest day for movements 802. Last time I was there a saw many 777 BA, Continental Delta, 747 BA, Virgin etc and various other airlines. Small it is not! If SN were smart they would be flying London City like VLM.

Emirates

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I took once the flight to Gatwick. Flight was not full but it was holiday that time. Check in at Gatwick was very fast, going to the gate was also very fast and easy. Yeah really nice. Maybe the only problem is the distance between the airport and the city.
Best regards,

Airbuske

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Contrary to many intercontinental airlines, SN sees LGW more as the gate way to the south of the UK than a metropolitan airport of London as such... Obviously passengers to/from London are also more than welcome on the flights and during low season LGW is even promoted as a cheap way to fly to London, but in general the focus is on business travellers from the industrialized south of England connecting in Brussels.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Well Heathrow is located in south-west and that's where most business passengers come from! (not including London here) You have got the m4 corridor with Bracknell, Wokingham, Reading and Newbury being very busy business centres! Whereas between Gatwick and Brighton you got absolutely nothing!

I've only been once to Gatwick but it definately seemed more like a holliday airport. plenty of Virgin atlantic flights to Barbados and other sunny destinations. Also BA scrapped quit a lot of destinations out off Gatwick! And finally it had also plans of only offering economy class for its european flights... So not very encouraging I find!