Passenger jet skids off runway, in flames at Toronto airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Some exclusive pics:

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

Very shocking pictures!
Here's an article of the toronto star, with other pictures.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home
Last edited by Ovostar on 03 Aug 2005, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Neat work SAB319 How come u got exclusive pictures.

Thanks for sharing :!:
Aum Sweet Aum.

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

Passengers had to jump something like 4 meters, why were there no
emergency evacuation slides ?
Last edited by Ovostar on 03 Aug 2005, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Instructions for emergency evacuation: "no handluggage".

Although, if I was a passenger, I would also try to take it with me.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Some passengers are saying that the crew didn't reacted so well, and that they were not agreeing with the Air France statement concerning the crew.
Ok, but the passengers are probably a bit confused with such an incident.
We should wait until a passenger say it face to the camera.
Perhaps an interpretation form the journalist.

And al said : The people is always complaining. In this cas they have to thanks the crew DOT

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

LX-LGX wrote:Instructions for emergency evacuation: "no handluggage".

Why would u want to do that my friend :?:
Aum Sweet Aum.

SN30952

Timeline.....

Post by SN30952 »

Advisor wrote:
sab319 wrote:It's good to see that all people survived it, a true miracle If you see what's left of the plane. This wouldn't have been possible if the crew wasn't trained that good and reacted so fast.
Moral of this entire episode, summed up quite nicely by sab319.

I do not get you there, sab319!
When the A340 came to a stand still in that ravine in Toronto, the body seemed intact, there was some fire in a left engine, but that gave seemingly ample time to everybody to escape. See all door seem opened, even the cockpit window, although it is not clear who escaped from there.
It is only later that the fire did its devastasting work.

Really I do not see what you mean with: If you see what's left of the plane. The situation you see the plane in now, you have to see in a time line of events. At the time of stand still it was almost a perfect body.... that's a 'miracle' or modern aircraft building know how*.

btw, if you see Birgit Bardot now that is not the shape we saw here in the movie: "Et Dieu crea la femme". Got that picure, sab319? :wink: The timeline I concede is here 50years.

*Airbus will also learn a lot from this incident, and for instance see how to fix better its airco outlets in cabin. But it looked that after the crash all door functioned. There are many positif things in this crash, although the main incident isn't so. Airbus could at least offer the passengers who want to, a free longhaul ride on their A380, to thanks them for the cooperation in this crash 'test'. Hopefully will all parameters be saved and allow exploitable** data.

*to use something fully and effectively in order to gain an advantage. In nature nothing is lost, if humans do not thoroughly destroy it.

earthman

Post by earthman »

One could only wish that such an outcome would be the worst that ever happens with aircraft.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Advisor wrote:
LX-LGX wrote:Instructions for emergency evacuation: "no handluggage".

Why would u want to do that my friend :?:
Maybe because people have some important documents in there? Thinks like passports, birth certificates and whatever important papers that people do take.

Same here, I also would get my bag and save it from the flames.

On another point, I respect the co-pilot very much, although the aircraft did not burn totally at the time of evacuation, it already had catched fire. And still he ran trough the cabin (and he was wounded!) to make sure that no one was still inside. If he would have been of the aircraft too late, he could have been killed. On TV it was clearly evident that there was at least one explosion which set the front part of the aircraft on fire.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

On another point, I respect the co-pilot very much, although the aircraft did not burn totally at the time of evacuation
And the risk of explosion ?
Form me it will be : I respect the co-pilot very much DOT :!:

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Agree, the handling by the crew proofs that both cabin crew and cockpit crew know what airline business is all about: passengers.

Now, about the hand luggage: don't forget pax weren't realising what was happening. Remember there was applause for the landing = pax thaught that their flight has ended well.

It took the plane some 8 to 12 seconds to do the last 200 metres: time enough to realise they're not going to die and time enough to realise life is easier with car keys, home keys, digital camera, personal belongings, credit cards then without.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

It took the plane some 8 to 12 seconds to do the last 200 metres: time enough to realise they're not going to die and time enough to realise life is easier with car keys, home keys, digital camera, personal belongings, credit cards then without.
You forgot the fire in the cabin :twisted: (see articles and comments in earlier posts!)

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

sorry to ask again, but, why no emergency evacuation slides ?

and also why was the window of the cockpit open ?

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Ovostar wrote:sorry to ask again, but, why no emergency evacuation slides ?
Because of the proximity of the doors to the ground I guess, since the gear has collapsed.
And the risk of explosion ?
Form me it will be : I respect the co-pilot very much DOT
If you would have read a bit further, you would have found the part in which I stated that "If the {the co-pilot} would have been too late, he could have been killed {due to an explosion}".

SR89

Post by SR89 »

Advisor wrote:Neat work SAB319 How come u got exclusive pictures.
The pictures are on airdisaster.com

5Y-KQV

Post by 5Y-KQV »

It is very comforting to know that all the pax got out without any fatalities. In as much as the crew did a good job in evacuating all the pax, i think kudos must also be given to the passengers for staying calm (as the picture taken in the interior of the aircraft suggests). God bless the crew, pax and Air France.

I am impressed by the way the plane remained solid for a long time after the incident. It enabled the pax to get off safely before the fuselage was reduced to a shell by the fire.

I don't mean to be insensitive but from the accounts of the passengers, the landing appeared to be smooth but the aircraft ended overrunning the runway. Could it be that it landed, say halfway down the runway and could not stop on time or could have the lightning that reportedly hit the plane interfere with the flight computers in such a way that braking was affected?

Cheers,

Walter.

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Congrats to Air France that everybody was out of the plane in time. Pity about the airplane :(
What a crash...

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

Sorry I was missing, I just learned the story today at work...
CXRules wrote:297 pax onboard. That's quite high for the A340-300. The Air France website says the capacity of its A340 is about 245. Strange!
I was wondering the same... Some of the A340s are still in the old 252 seats config. Some are now fitted with the new 272 seats (36/236) config. At least, one is fitted with an heavy 291 seats (30/261) configuration (?). I am not aware about any A340 with 297 seats config :oops: :oops: :oops: .

Too bad for the aircraft but I'm glad (and also very proud) that nobody died!

This is not the first time AF loose an A340 (due to fire):

A340-200 F-GNIA, delivered 13/05/1993, destroyed 20/01/1994 due to fire on ground at CDG, no pax on board, no victim.

I think Airbus should make theirs aircraft more fire resistant.

Hopefully, no one died...

Je respire

Seb.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Normal configuration for the A340-300:

First + Business + Economy: 295 seats

Business + Economy : 335 seats

seat pitch: 62" (F), 40" (C), 32" (Y)

http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfamili ... ayout.html