Another hurricane (Emily) hitting trans-atlantic flights

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TUB023

Another hurricane (Emily) hitting trans-atlantic flights

Post by TUB023 »

well seems there is another hurricane, - or tropical depression don't know exactley - in the carribean. i wonder if it will have effect on TUI flights heading there? i saw the projected path and it should just go near jamaica (www.weather.com).

A318

Post by A318 »

Air Jamaica is already evacuating their airplanes and lots of flights have been cancelled as anounced in the following press release (no copyright):

Kingston, Jamaica (July 15, 2005): Weather forecasters are predicting that Jamaica will begin to feel the effects of Hurricane Emily within the next 24 hours.

As a result Air Jamaica has activated its emergency plans to move aircraft out of Jamaica and adjust flight schedules in order to minimize disruptions and ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and staff.

Air Jamaica has put in place measures to assist passengers whose travel plans may be affected by Hurricane Emily.

Passengers who are booked to travel to/from Jamaica, July 15 –17, 2005 may change their itinerary without penalty subject to the following conditions:
• Passengers must already be in possession of a ticket.

• Passengers will be guaranteed the same fare as they were originally ticketed on within the applicable fare parameters up to July 31, 2005.

• A request for deferral of travel must be made prior to departure of the original travel date.

• Passengers who elect not to travel will be issued a voucher for future travel on Air Jamaica for the full value of the ticket without penalty.

• Passengers originating in the UK will be given a full refund without penalty.

Due to the unpredictable nature of the hurricane, Air Jamaica will continue to assess the situation and make changes to the schedule if the need arises. Passengers are being asked to monitor the media for updates, call 1-888-FLY-AIR-J for further information.

As hurricane Emily moves closer to the island, Air Jamaica has cancelled the following flights for tomorrow, Saturday July 16, 2005:

- JM038 and JM030 from Fort Lauderdale to Kingston
- JM031 and JM033 from Kingston to Fort Lauderdale
- JM066 and JM067 to and from Bonaire
- JM064 and JM065 to and from Curacao
- JM025 from Kingston to Miami and JM023 from Montego Bay to Miami
- JM078 and JM079 to and from Toronto
- JM010 from New York

All other flights in and out of Jamaica will operate, but some will operate later than scheduled.

Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes, Air Jamaica will continue to assess the situation and make changes to the schedule if the need arises.

It is important that passengers monitor the media for updates and call 1-888-FLY-AIR-J or log on to www.airjamaica.com for further information and to re-book flights.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

TUB023

Post by TUB023 »

will OO-TUC put the L1011 in again for their jamaica flight (landing at montgo bay)? i think i've read that the storm is only passing by kingston. we leave monday i hope to fly oo-tuc but won't mind to fly 1011 :)

TUB023

Post by TUB023 »

this is weird, i was just looking at a projected path and it seems that it won't even goes over over jamaica...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It can change it's course very rapitly.

I hope for the TUI passengers the next days that they don't have delays of a couple of hours. It think that TUI had enough trubbles.

TUB023

Post by TUB023 »

yeah they had enough with dennis imo. but it's natures own will :) nothing we can do but hope it dissapears :p

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Shit, it will pass over Cancun and me and my family are going there in August.
I seriously hope that Emily won't make that much damage. My dad is allready furious now!

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

Ivan_Eagle

Post by Ivan_Eagle »

i LOVE a hurricane and tornado :D :D :D :oops:

TUB023

Post by TUB023 »

i don't :p

bkonner

Post by bkonner »

Howdy,

You guys live in Europe. You've never experienced a tornado, hurricane, or Nor’easter (blizzard). All three are scary. Count your self fortunate you do not have to put up with these. Tornados are the worst! In Massachusetts fortunately we do not get too many tornados. We do get lots of Nor'easters and a hurricane once in a while. I lived through a tornado in Minneapolis once. It was the most horrible experience of my life!

bkonner

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Emily has stricken the South of Jamaica and is now heading towards Yucatan (Cancun)
André
ex Sabena #26567

TUB023

Post by TUB023 »

yeah idd it past by jamaica, hope to see CNN images soon of the damage

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

There was a lot of damage, I saw it on the news but important of a no victims. When she came on land she was not so strong any more. But that's typical for a hurricane. They are very strong above the see, that's the place where they are "feeded", and once on land they are loosing it.
But, that's nature we have to live with that.

A318

Post by A318 »

bkonner wrote:Howdy,

You guys live in Europe. You've never experienced a tornado, hurricane, or Nor’easter (blizzard).
Excuse me?
We Europeans do travel and can get caught by one somewhere in this world.
Last year I was the lucky guy to meet Francis in Florida......I am still busy fixing my hair ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Yesterday Thomas Cook postponed its flight to Mexico because of the hurricane, they (or the travel agencies) reimbursed the passengers 1 night.

A318

Post by A318 »

luchtzak wrote:Yesterday Thomas Cook postponed its flight to Mexico because of the hurricane, they (or the travel agencies) reimbursed the passengers 1 night.
That was the Martinair flight which diverted to the Dominican Republic if I am correct.
A Whole Different Animal

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A318 wrote:
luchtzak wrote:Yesterday Thomas Cook postponed its flight to Mexico because of the hurricane, they (or the travel agencies) reimbursed the passengers 1 night.
That was the Martinair flight which diverted to the Dominican Republic if I am correct.
Indeed: read story here
André
ex Sabena #26567

A318

Post by A318 »

sn26567 wrote:
A318 wrote:
Indeed: read story here
Yep that's it, I heard about it in my office.
I hope I will keep it dry in FLA in August :roll:
A Whole Different Animal