Berlin Tempelhof

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Humberside

Berlin Tempelhof

Post by Humberside »

Whats the latest news from Templehof and is there a closure date yet?

Thanks

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

At least, it will be open till this summer...

Seb.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Berlin Tempelhof will remain open at least until 2006/07

https://www.aviation24.be/postt6411.html

regi

Post by regi »

we did have this subject already , didn't we?
Anyhow, Tempelhof is the most special airport I have ever been. The airplane parks under a roof. You disembark and walk 50 meters to the building. As simple. No busses, no bridges, no corridors.
The airport building is old but very clean.

Volare

Post by Volare »

Is there not a new Berlin Airport being built to replace the 2 they have now?

Ciao Ciao

Giancarlo

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

@Volare, yes, that would be BBI (Berlin Brandenburg Airport). It is build near Berlin Schonefeld Airport (or even on), and will replace all the current existing ones. But as things goes, it can take for years until the plans are realised and that the airport is actually build.

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

I think they will find some more "surprises" during the building of the new airport. Be aware.

Seb.

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Is there any chance the airport will remain open beyond 2006/07

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Humberside wrote:Is there any chance the airport will remain open beyond 2006/07
As soon as they can close it, they will close it...

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

@Buzz

Small correction, they (the Berlin Authorities) will try to close, and if it will work out for them in the end remains unclear. Since they have tried it once but did not succeed. :P

lastrow

Post by lastrow »

hi,

last year, the Berlin Senate tried to close the airport by withdrawing the license of the airport operator for THF. However some airlines successfully sued the Berlin Senate for this.

Currently, the situation is quite strange: it is planned/decided by the Berlin Senate that THF will be closed in 2006 (which is tied to a new step for planning BBI). But there is another lawsuit going which is expected to bring a decision in the second half of 2005. DBA has moved some of their flights from TXL to THF. And I think HLX considers to do so as well. And recently, another carrier (dauair) has started operation from THF. I think that pro-THF people are pretty sure being able to force the Berlin Senate to open THF until 2010 - until the opening of BBI is planned.

- lastrow

(who says hello to all at his first posting :-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lastrow wrote:- lastrow

(who says hello to all at his first posting :-)
Welcome to Luchtzak, lastrow. Enjoy this site. And thanks for contributing to it.
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

It is well known the driving force behind the legal injuctions to stop the Berlin Senate from closing THF, is the largest operator of the historical city airport: i.e. SN Brussels Airlines.

No surprise, since THF is one of the most profitable routes for SN with very decent yields and extremely good loadfactors all year round.

In a recent mothly update on their 'behind the scenes' activities, SN talked about the ongoing effort to keep THF open beyond 2006: it seems they convinced all commercial airlines at THF airport to unite around a common legal strategy to keep the city airport open on a long-term basis. All legal costs will be shared among the airlines.

It sure looks as if the Berlin Senate may forget about closing Berlin THF without a fight anytime soon....

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

@lastrow, welcome to Luchtzak.
DBA has moved some of their flights from TXL to THF. And I think HLX considers to do so as well. And recently, another carrier (dauair) has started operation from THF.
This move convinces me that not only me, but also airlines see a market at THF. Just look at London City Airport (LCY). The situation (located near the city center) is almost identical, and LCY is doing very well. But that airport is managed a lot better, since THF was mismanaged (because the threat of the Berlin Senate closing it down). This has put the airport in a miserable position, because it scared investors away. Luckely SNBA stayed and has proven that money can be made on routes towards Tempelhof.
But let's hope that with the transfer of DBA, HLX and Dauair flights (and the win of the lawsuit) Tempelhof will have a brighter future, and maybe even revive from the "down" it is in at the moment. :P

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

Thanks for clariflying this lastrow, welcome to the forum.

Seb.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

What's the biggest aircraft that can make use of THF? I saw the AVRO's, some Fokkers. Can a B737 or A319 land there?

Danny

Rotterdamspotter

Post by Rotterdamspotter »

DannyVDB wrote:What's the biggest aircraft that can make use of THF? I saw the AVRO's, some Fokkers. Can a B737 or A319 land there?

Danny
A319/B737 can easily operate at THF albeit with some payload restrictions due to the obstacles at both ends of the runway(s). Don't expect any IT-flights to Spain but a full B737 on a 1-hour sector is no problem. I have flown there many times on B737's and it's no problem.
Largest aircraft ever to visit THF were C-141 Starlifter, C-17 Globemaster and....believe it or not.....Lockheed L-1011 Tri-star!

lastrow

RWY not much longer than 2km ...

Post by lastrow »

I think the RWY is not much more than 2km long ... the largest aircraft officially approved are like B737 and A320. The other aircraft mentioned must have been covered by specific agreements for military service because THF was also used by the US Air Force.

Before the wall felt down, every year the USAF was inviting "Berliners" to a "Tag der Offenen Tür" at THF where you could watch all these large Airplanes. I faintly remember that I have seen the C-5 Galaxy there too ...

- lr.

x-prise

Post by x-prise »

lastrow you may have seen a C5 Galaxy but im not sure it was i think it may have been as suggested a C 141 Starlifter much the same as a C 5 in shape but not in size about 1/3rd to 1/2th the size of a C 5. so in otherwords an a321 size

lastrow

Post by lastrow »

good point, maybe you are right - I wil ask my father if he got photos of this one.

added on May 15th: actually my dad is pretty sure that there was a visit of the Galaxy as well at the air shows of the US in THF. people were allowed to enter the cargo area. However, photos are deep in a box in his cellar - too bad. The plane managed to land and start THF empty and having only the fuel to reach the next larger US airport in western Germany (probably Franfurt or Ramstein AFB, which is about 600km away).

And for the people who have still doubts ... in the meanwhile I have found a wikipedia entry (in German, sorry) that the Galaxy has landed on THF:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flughafen_Berlin-Tempelhof

- lr.
Last edited by lastrow on 15 May 2005, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.