Emirates to Brussels?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Acid-drop

Re: Emirates to Brussels?

Post by Acid-drop »

it's nice
now that their network is pretty much done for all important metropolis, they start second class cities :)

(Troll mode)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

tangolima wrote:Hello

According to a cabin crew member of EK on the 777, the flights to BRU will start on 02SEP2014

Greetings,
Oslo starts on 2sept
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Duke

Post by Duke »

If the market analysis of Emirates about the potential of the Brussels-Dubai route is correct (and why would it not be?), then it's a missed opportunity for Brussels Airlines.
Instead of launching a questionable Washington service, they should have focused on Dubai.
Or did a code share agreement with Etihad prevent this?
Regards,

Duke

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I'm not sure it's a missed opportunity for b.air. Let's not forget that many pax (if not most pax) on Emirates flights to/from BRU will be connecting at Dubai to/from other destinations. B.air cannot do that. It can, of course, offer conncetions at BRU but not beyong Dubai. I think the Europe-Dubai market is already well served. So, there would probably be little money to make.
In favor of quality air travel.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Just an additional thought to feed the discussion (althoug slightly off topic, but we're used to threads drifting off topic). If b.air were to consider flying to the "Gulf" (which I'm fairly sure they will not do and I don't think they should consider it for the near future), what about RAK and on to MCT.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Air Key West wrote:what about RAK and on to MCT.
RAK = Marrakech

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

RKT = Ras Al Khaimah
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Thanks for the correction.
Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) was meant, indeed.

b720

Post by b720 »

I also think that DXB was a lost opportunity for SN.. Tourism to DXB
Is booming, trade, cargo, and connections from EUR especially from
Regional Uk airports. And in co-operation with LH LX nd OS would
Have certainly worked as those airline's flights to DXB do very well,
Especially in C class.
Another lot opportunity was BEY.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

BEY I agree with and I complained about it until MEA started it, but AKW is right about DXB.

Just realise that the O&D market on BRU-DXB is pretty much limited to expats and VFR.
EK can make it work as it will fly full of tourists between BRU and Asia, some East Africa I suppose, some Oceania, and those O&D expats and VFR.

There is no tourism as such in Dubai.
There could be trade between Belgium and Dubai, but there isn't because everything in Dubai comes from China or India, they don't produce anything there. So it's pointless to do import/export business through Dubai. Also other forms of trade compete with other markets we have in Europe...see below about diamond trade.
There could be business connections, but by now most companies have realised that all those trade shows they organise in Dubai are not very fruitful.

The diamond ties are not insignificant, but Dubai is competing against Antwerp as a trading center, so I'm not sure that facilitating the shift of business by putting a direct link between the two is in Belgium's interest. After all, SN is a Flemish airline at heart and on paper and its current origins are founded in Antwerp.
Antwerp and Belgium's policy around the diamond business is becoming too strict around the off-book and smuggling business, while Dubai doesn't give a darn if you smuggle in and out or conduct business off-the-books with hard cash or without the required certificates.
If you ask me, Belgium is being unrealistic and short-sighted or is cuttig down the competition for the big ones... it could be either.

There used to be a market for architects/engineers flowing in and out of Dubai for the construction of the city, but by now there are only few big construction contracts for the coming years and they're mostly won by contractors from Asia.

Add the fact that out of BRU you need a widebody that will be occupied for half a day, sitting idle the other half, and potential competition from EK that would have come no matter whether SN did or didn't operate the route.

For me, DXB is a clear no-go for SN, but a good option for EK.
I wonder what took EK so long.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

For those interested, the below article sheds some light on what is going on between Antwerp and Dubai in the diamond business. Very good article and it reflects the realities on the ground. It's a war out there and Antwerp is becoming a ghost town of abandoned diamond office buildings... if you ask me, the buidling of the new Central Station did tarnish Antwerp's image of diamond city. Too much emphasis on the station, too little on the diamond business that used to surround it.

The lack of direct flights to DXB was a small psychological barrier but it was a barrier nonetheless.
If SN operated that, it would only facilitate the outflow, so it's unconceivable that the government would accept that.

I quote this section because it's relevant to the above post.
I do not want to comment on the number of companies that shifted from Antwerp to Dubai, but it is difficult for traders to shift overnight as they have their social and family set up there,” said Meeus, who is also implementing a master plan for Dubai's diamond sector.
http://www.diffractiondiamonds.com/duba ... ilk-route/

I also wonder why Belgium gives the UAE any traffic rights at all, when they are trying to destroy one of Belgium's legacy businesses, let alone enough for both EY end EK.

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

Agree. Little value in offering traffic rights to UAE. Except for TNT operating cargo on behalf of EK.
I hope other countries will realize that they are indeed putting their own carriers in jeopardy by allowing EK in. But I suppose it will be too late then.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Its at least 5 years too late aoready i'd say...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

BRU

Post by BRU »

It is not about giving traffic rights, they often have them already in old bilateral agreements in place. On top, people will fly them due to good price quality offer and their network. If not from BRU, they will use them ex AMS, DUS or CDG. So I prefer 22 weekly flights by Middle East carriers offering also a huge Asian beyond network than 5 or 7 weekly flights from brussels airlines between BRU and DXB.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Flanker2 wrote:There is no tourism as such in Dubai.
No tourism in Dubai?

I flew with LH to Dubai and back in February, the load factors were 100% in F, C and Y in both directions. The purpose of my trip was to board a Costa cruise ship (3700 pax). There were two other cruise ships (MSC, Aida) with the same capacity docked in Dubai.

Not far from Dubai, in Abu Dhabi, there is a Formula 1 circuit which attract thousands of spectators each year.

There are dozens of hotels in Dubai that cater for tourists wanting to see the luxury capital of the Middle East (if not of the world).

If Lufthansa can fill daily flights, if its subsidiaries LX and OS can also send daily planes, why wouldn't SN be able to do it as well?
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote:
Flanker2 wrote:There is no tourism as such in Dubai.
No tourism in Dubai?

I flew with LH to Dubai and back in February, the load factors were 100% in F, C and Y in both directions. The purpose of my triop was to board a Costa cruise ship (3700 pax). There were two other cruise ships (MSC, Aida) with the same capacity docked in Dubai.

Not far from Dubai, in Abu Dhabi, there is a Formula 1 circuit which attract thousands of spectators each year.

There are dozens of hotels in Dubai that cater for tourists wanting to see the luxury capital of the Middle East (if not of the world).

If Lufthansa can fill daily flights, if its subsidiaries LX and OS can also send daily planes, why wouldn't SN be able to do it as well?
No I don't think there is much traffic between Dubai and Belgium maybe one shots like you said ( formula1...)
Don't forget there is not so much people in Dubai around 2 million people and a lot of competition also and like LH or the others they have bigger hubs.
Dubai airport is mostly a transit one.
Regards
Hasta la victoria siempre.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

not much European passengers who fly to Dubai, actually stay in Dubai. The majority of them connect in Dubai to go to another destination. Only a small part stays in Dubai.
Dubai issued some figures about their European pax some time ago...

b720

Post by b720 »

Dubai sees increase in UK visitors | News | Breaking Travel News
www.breakingtravelnews.com › Travel News › Tourism News
Feb 15, 2013 - The total number of UK visitors at the close of 2012 rose from 643195 in ... 31st 2013, Qantas will also operate a twice daily flight to Dubai from ...
During the first nine months of the year, guest numbers across all hotels and hotel apartments reached 7,941,118, a 9.8 per cent increase year-on-year.
I can go on and on and on... Flights are full, LH OS LX I take them regularly.. And full with people visiting Dubai..
Connecting pax take EK.. SN lost an opportunity, I still think..

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Given the limited means put at b.air's disposal by its shareholders, even if one would consider Dubai as a lost opportunity, one cannot seriously consider a priority.
The real missed opportunity is YUL and an evening flight to NYC (instead of IAD) with a timetable mindful of passengers and not only the airline, which is still often the case at b.air.
Just as a suggestion :
BRU JFK 2000 2220 (departure at 2000 to allow for connections from European cities)
JFK BRU 2355 1315 (connections to afternoon flights to Africa and some 12+ cities in Europe)

b720

Post by b720 »

Absolutely right about the evening flight to NYC..