Phuket air not allowed in the Netherlands

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Post by regi »

about the question about Onur Air its airbusses:
today the dutch newspaper "nederlands dagblad" published a report. In it it also refers to - hold on - missing engine gondola bolts on the airbusses of Onur.
Hello guys, waky waky! Dutch people are very sensitive about airplanes which drop their engines after the El Al cargo disaster .
just in dutch, sorry.
http://www.nd.nl/newsite/artikel.asp?id=61529
I just paste & copy 1 alinea - in dutch:

In een Airbus van Onur Air ontbraken bijvoorbeeld bouten in motorgondels, werd een lek in de rem van het landingsgestel gevonden en was de noodverlichting in de cabine deels kapot. Bij een Boeing van Fly Air ontbrak op de rechtervleugel een paneel en werden onjuiste gewichten gebruikt voor het berekenen van de balans. Een Boeing van Sky Airlines had te weinig brandstof aan boord genomen.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Indeed:
Any airline from outside the EU, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland which wishes to pick up or put down passengers or cargo in the UK requires a permit from the UK Secretary of State for Transport.
Currently the Secretary of State is refusing or would refuse to issue permits to aircraft operated by the airlines listed below because of evidence that they are not receiving adequate regulatory oversight from their national aviation authorities.
Any airline from Equatorial Guinea
Any airline from Liberia
Any airline from Tajikistan
Any airline from Sierra Leone
Any airline from Democratic Republic of the Congo
Air Mauritanie (Mauritania)
Any Airline from Swaziland
In addition, the Secretary of State has suspended the permit of Phuket Airlines (Thailand) because of operational safety concerns.
It should be noted that these airlines may be permitted to offer services to the UK, and issued with a permit, if these services are contracted out and operated by another airline.

SN30952

a disaster looking for a place to happen!

Post by SN30952 »

Phuket Airlines stated that it had only two aircraft in working order out of a total of 12 listed on its website. Capt Chawanit Chiamcharoenvut, said that four aircraft that had been sent for maintenance in Indonesia have not yet been returned, and the airline has another two aircraft that need repair work.

A Phuket Air 747 was inspected by Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) engineers shortly after its arrival in the UK.
The CAA inspection revealed shocking safety failures.
The aircraft was found to have inoperative evacuation safety lights. Although this aged 747-200 was deemed airworthy, the CAA would not allow it fly with passengers. It returned to Thailand empty.Image

The second veteran Boeing airliner, departed Gatwick en-route for Bangkok via Sharjah Airport on April 6. About one hour into the flight, the pilot shut down one of the engines and dumped 50 tons of jet fuel at 35,000 feet before heading back to UK airspace to land back at Gatwick.
CAA engineers found that a faulty gearbox seal – blamed on mechanics in Sharjah Airport – had caused the engine failure, but, perhaps more alarmingly, they established that the airliner’s collision avoidance system was broken.
CAA officials grounded the aircraft.
That is probably the one held in LGW?Image
The plane has also been detained at Gatwick because of unpaid aviation bills. Phuket Air was, in any case, due to suspend its Bangkok-Gatwick service on April 23.

Phuket air has bought three old Boeing 747-300 from KLM. Image

Thai Deputy Transport Minister Mr.Phumtham Vejjayachai noted that the incident had served to damage the reputation of all Thai airlines as he suggested the ministry would have to step up its punitive action, possibly by suspending Phuket's operations for three months..
Last edited by SN30952 on 09 May 2005, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

V-Bird

Post by V-Bird »

Phuket air has bought three old Boeing 747-300 from KLM
Old 747-300 needs good maintance

when KLM was flying with this birds, they where allowed to fly every where, so don`t think that we, the dutch people, made this fault from pukhet air to sell the old birds.

regi

Post by regi »

No no no, it is just about money.
If i sell my old car and some months afterwards the buyer crashes into me because his brakes fail, am I to blame because I sold my old car? Please!
If a customer choses by free will to use (very old) second hand material he should know that this material has to be maintained according the rules.
Cars undergo a yearly quality inspection. Airplanes are controlled more intense. Phuket air has to maintain it airplanes according the rules. Pay its debts and get over with it. It is just about money.

SAB377

Post by SAB377 »

Strange, a few months ago i flew with Onur Air. I never felt unsafe (it was an B737 & A321). The crew was very friendly and the planes looked quite new.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Onur Air received a last reminder from IVW in the Netherlands. Source Luchtvaartnieuws. There were in the past some technical problems and the last fact was an engine trouble. Onur Air flew back to the airport and had the intention to start again. Crazy if you asked me.
But the main trouble was due to a lack of aircrafts and they took some Tristars with all the problems.

And Phuked Air, they can take there suitcases and leave Europe. I don't known if there is now a Travel Agency who will fly with Phuked Air.
The holiday season is going to begin and they can take no risk to fly with an unsafe aircraft. It's not so easy to find an aircraft when everybody took an aircraft to go on holiday.
[/i]

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Phuked Air was about to introduce ex-UAL B744, I guess a few spotters from Europe will break into tears when hearing the news they won't be able to see them on a regular basis.
;)

Beyond the apparent fact that Phuked Air management put profit before safety in their priority list, their technical problems raise the question of the Thai CAA oversight.

It is perfectly understandable that the Thai tourism industry tries to recover as soon as possible from the tsunami. They're working hard for that and I wouldn't be surprised if Thai operators and the national authority were too busy on that and overlooked safety implications, intentionally or not.

Phuked Air probably reveals the short-comings of the entire Thai airline industry. Even though they put their company in that uncomfortable position by themselves, to put the blame exclusively on their shoulders is not fair and not very encouraging. What will the Thai CAA do now to avoid any "Phuked Air #2" ?

regi

Post by regi »

Phuket out, Onur out, next?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Talking about thai-profit mentality?
Police 'pocket up to B31bn'
Police corruption is under scrutiny again with new studies claiming officers pocketed up to 31 billion baht in illegal income from the underground economy in 2003.
Metropolitan Police Bureau's superintendents earned from 300,000 to one million baht each month from illegal businesses.
Traffic police received the highest extra income from illegal businesses.
Deputy superintendents pocketed an estimated 200,000-300,000 baht each month, chief inspectors took 20,000-100,000 baht while non-commissioned officers received around 2,000 baht each month.

Divide by 50 for Euros.

Now, if and when the police is currupt as this who will check the businessmen in that kingdom?

Is it a surprise to you when Pol Col Pinij Maneerat, deputy spokesman of the Metropolitan Police, said the figures were too high. If police received that much in kickbacks they would all be rich by now.

That much? One is corrupt from the first Baht he receives....
How could Phuket Air fix things in its base (Thailand)?
Why did it NOT work in UK and the Netherlands?
The answer is in this post.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Any airline from Sierra Leone
Note that although the L1011 was registred in Sierra Leone it wasn't operated by an airline from Sierra Leone (it was a Jordan based airline)
what I don't understand is why Phuket Air doesn't get a warning, but being banned direct
They did receive a final warning before they lost their traffic rights.

Onur Air, an airline which flies for several years, and people already knew there were problems, only gets several warnings
Although Onur was under close supervision for almost a year they received a warning because initially the situation improved. Only recently the situation (according to the IVW) went downwards an thus resulted in a final warning and now the ban.

regi

Post by regi »

The website of phuket airlines doesn't show Gatwick or Amsterdam anymore on its shedule. But the destinations are marked as "future destinations" on its routemap.
Can somebody tell at Phuket air the difference between "past", "future" and "idle hope"?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:Can somebody tell at Phuket air the difference between "past", "future" and "idle hope"?
Easy, regi: Phuket Air, Sirs, regi says, there is NO difference between "past", "future" and "idle hope" for you.
What he means, they are all the same. :cry:
They d' better changed their name as I suggested in LZ Pub of few weeks ago.
Today I can suggest some names are no good: eg "Thai Onur" is not a good name, as is 'Onur Phuket'. :lol: