WAW-AMS-EDI with KLM 09/09/19

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

WAW-AMS-EDI with KLM 09/09/19

Post by Comet »

After the stress and hassle of our outward flights the week before, we had a wonderful holiday in Warsaw at my favourite hotel. I always hate it when the holiday ends as that means no more flights for another year, but holiday weeks always pass quickly.

KL1364 WAW-AMS

We arrived at WAW in very good time (as usual) and had to wait ages to drop off our luggage. I had already checked in online.

A LOT sign in the airport. They have ten years to go before they reach KLM's 2019 milestone of 100 years of operation.

We had booked economy comfort seats 6A and 6B again, which we liked. Security went largely OK until I came to check my watch and realised it wasn't there - panic! Thankfully one of the security men had seen it and put it aside for me, which was nice.

I think WAW is a great airport for viewing, and I always take advantage :mrgreen: .

Preparing for its next flight.

Airport view.

I've never had the opportunity to photograph one of LOT's Embraers so close.

I usually like to film our aircraft's arrival on video, but on this occasion I was distracted by an Enter 737 :lol:

The ultimate photo-bombing - our aircraft has just landed in the background.

Air France A319 arrives from Paris.

Our aircraft for Amsterdam - PH-BXZ "Uil"/"Owl" (a new bird!)

Nose close up.

The board for our flight.

The aircraft was full.

The view from my seat 6A.

I have developed a dread of pilot announcements as we wait in WAW! For the past two years there has been a delay caused by operational restrictions in AMS which has led to us having to dash to catch our connecting flights home. There was to be a slight delay today, but nothing as bad as the past two years, only fifteen minutes.

Our scheduled departure time was 12:25 and we pushed back at 12:39. Our take off was at 12:47.
It was bright and hazy after take off, with very little turbulence. It was cloudier at altitude.

Inside the aircraft.

Leaving Warsaw - until next year.

Flying over Poland.

Heading into thin cloud.

Approaching more cloud.

For the third consecutive time my favourite inflight snack made an appearance :mrgreen: - this time Beemster salad on organic multigrain bread. KLM never disappoint when it comes to snacks.

Unopened Beemster sandwich.

Tasty Beemster.

Thick cloud at altitude. There was quite a bit of turbulence and the seatbelt signs came on. The pilot announced we would climb to a higher altitude.

Approaching Amsterdam.

Approaching Amsterdam. The cloud was much more broken by now.

About to enter a cloud.

Nearer to Amsterdam.

I love the AMS approaches.

You can see a long way.

We landed at 14:22, but couldn't go to our gate yet as there was a late-running aircraft still occupying it (not again!!) However, this was only a relatively short wait.

Our neighbour at the terminal.

Our route had taken us south of Poznan and south of Berlin. We had cruised at 36,000 feet at 567 mph. Another great flight on KLM!

KL1289 AMS-EDI

Our flight to Edinburgh had a short delay so I was able to buy some jenever :mrgreen:

Our aircraft - Boeing 737 PH-BXW "Partrijs"/"Partridge" arriving late from Madrid. This is what held our flight to EDI up.

PH-BXW nose.

PH-BXW.

The board for our flight. Boarding was confusing and chaotic. "Elite" passengers had been boarded and the the economy passengers were called. My boarding pass was checked by someone who told me to go forward for boarding but when I did, someone else said they were only boarding "Elite" passengers (Sky Priority or whatever the fancy name is for them).

The view from my seat 8A.

Black Kite our neighbour at the terminal.

We pushed back at 16:31 and made our way to the centre runway (disappointed again :cry: ). Our flight was expected to last 65 minutes and we took off at 16:45 into hazy cloud.

Shortly after take off.

Turning on course.

About to cross the Dutch coast. Our climb had been smooth.

Over the sea.

There was thick cloud at altitude and we didn't see land again until shortly before we arrived in Edinburgh.

Cloud.

Four in a row - it's Beemster again :mrgreen: Every time we've been to WAW we've had the same snack on the AMS to UK flight as we've had on the outbound AMS-WAW flight.

Just through the cloud and over Scotland.

Over Scotland.

Approaching Edinburgh.

Near Edinburgh.

Hills near Edinburgh.

Near Edinburgh.

Near Edinburgh.

We landed at 16:50.

Our neighbour at the terminal Austrian easyJet.

We had flown at 38,000 feet and a speed of 525 mph. Our route had taken us from Amsterdam across the North Sea. We crossed the English coast just south of Cleethorpes and flew over the Humber. Then we crossed the western end of the North York Moors National Park and over the Northumberland National Park. Another good flight on KLM.

Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: WAW-AMS-EDI with KLM 09/09/19

Post by sn26567 »

Great report again, Louise.

You were lucky to see the 100th Airbus delivered to Wizz Air, sporting a special livery. And in your film you caught the Air Belgium A340 again. In Warsaw I mean.

As for your snacks, KLM clearly has it wrong. Airlines normally serve different meals on outbound (from AMS) and inbound (to AMS) flights, in order to avoid serving twice the same thing to connecting passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Thanks for this great report. An enjoyable read.

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:40 Great report again, Louise.

You were lucky to see the 100th Airbus delivered to Wizz Air, sporting a special livery. And in your film you caught the Air Belgium A340 again. In Warsaw I mean.

As for your snacks, KLM clearly has it wrong. Airlines normally serve different meals on outbound (from AMS) and inbound (to AMS) flights, in order to avoid serving twice the same thing to connecting passengers.
Thanks for the comment Andre. I wondered what the Wizz Air aircraft livery meant. Pleased to get a special on my photos :mrgreen: .
I don't know why the Air Belgium A340 was in Warsaw on both occasions, their website doesn't mention serving Warsaw. Quite curious about that one :-)
I was surprised about the snacks, usually we've had the cheese only on the flight from Warsaw to Amsterdam. Certainly the morning flight from the UK to AMS has not normally had the cheese - usually it's been some lemon cake or other type of cake. I genuinely do enjoy those cheese sandwiches and wraps but I just couldn't believe getting it on all our flights. Maybe the first flight of the holiday had been affected by the strike, I don't know if the strike affected the loading and availability of meals or not.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Ozzie1969 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:56 Thanks for this great report. An enjoyable read.
Thank you :mrgreen:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:01h
I don't know why the Air Belgium A340 was in Warsaw on both occasions, their website doesn't mention serving Warsaw. Quite curious about that one :-)
Air Belgium is operating New York flights for LOT while its 787s are grounded with engine issues.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 12:26
Comet wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:01h
Air Belgium is operating New York flights for LOT while its 787s are grounded with engine issues.
Thank you for explaining Andre :-)
Louise

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

:!: