Question on Airplane Boarding

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
JasperJoran

Question on Airplane Boarding

Post by JasperJoran »

I have handicapped fam members, so we usually get on first.
After that, though, and people who have priority boarding, wouldn't it make more sense to have the back of the plane board first, so it'd be easier for people to put their stuff away? I feel like people get stuck waiting for others in front of them to get their stuff packed. Do you think it'd make boarding faster or would you run into the same issues?

Matt

Re: Question on Airplane Boarding

Post by Matt »

JasperJoran wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 07:15 I have handicapped fam members, so we usually get on first.
After that, though, and people who have priority boarding, wouldn't it make more sense to have the back of the plane board first, so it'd be easier for people to put their stuff away? I feel like people get stuck waiting for others in front of them to get their stuff packed. Do you think it'd make boarding faster or would you run into the same issues?
They tried this. If they call: ''boarding for passengers... '' The hoard assembles towards the gate. Not even Gandalf, Luke Skywalker and the Avengers combined can stop them. They want to get in as soon as possible.

Because, of course, lots of people have huge trolleys with them and they put them whereever they can in the overhead bins. Even if it is at the other side of plane. Overhead bins full? OUT OF LUCK, and it gets to the cargo hold and you can fetch it in the airport at the conveyer belt (which costs quite some time)

So even IF they tried to get people board this way (which they tried), the hoard will still assemble when the horn blows and get through Thermopylae as fast as possible.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In the same way, they could call people at window seats first, then middle seats, and terminating with people in the aisles. And even better, combine that with calling by rows, starting with the back of the plane.

Airlines have tried everything, and there is no way to speed up the boarding process. Perhaps it works in Japan, where people are very disciplined, but it fails elsewhere.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 10:09 Airlines have tried everything, and there is no way to speed up the boarding process. Perhaps it works in Japan, where people are very disciplined, but it fails elsewhere.
Hmmm ...

Matt

Post by Matt »

luchtzak wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 10:23
sn26567 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 10:09 Airlines have tried everything, and there is no way to speed up the boarding process. Perhaps it works in Japan, where people are very disciplined, but it fails elsewhere.
Hmmm ...

I have seen this. It's amazing how many Japanese can fit per square meter.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Or, improve the unloading and sorting of the bags so that they're on the belt within 20min... I think less people would mind that their trolleys are taken away so would board later.

On the other hand, on long haul there's normally more than enough overhead bin space and even then they stand in line to board the first... This I'll never understand... (Long-haul, I always board as one of the last, and when I fly alone, my neighbour is always disappointed as he / she was hoping to have an extra seat... not...)

Cheers,

Stij

Duke

Post by Duke »

On Emirates, a zone is mentioned on the boarding pass.
Boarding calls are made using the different zones (passengers seating in the back of the plane board first).
This seems to be working quite well, I'm surprised that this is not standard procedure with other carriers...

Duke

Matt

Post by Matt »

Duke wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:01 On Emirates, a zone is mentioned on the boarding pass.
Boarding calls are made using the different zones (passengers seating in the back of the plane board first).
This seems to be working quite well, I'm surprised that this is not standard procedure with other carriers...

Duke
Because it generally doesn't work. I remember my flight from LHR to JNB last year, was on an A380.

'NOW BOARDING PASSENGERS IN SECTION 4'

The hoard assembled and went to the gate, 305 people for economy pushing to get in asap. ( thrust me, this took a while for an A380 which was full )

Same with my flight from BRU to JFK with Delta, B767.

'NOW BOARDING PASSENGERS IN SECTION A'

The hoard assembled and went to the gate, 196 people for economy pushing to get in asap.

I don't know what is going on in these people their minds, I usually grab another coffee/go to the toilet when they announce this. It's like a switch going on in some people's head: WE GOTTA GO ON.

Same thing with getting out of the plane fyi. Everyone stands up when the doors are still closed and than they stand there for 10 minuts trying to get out asap. I usually sit till the row in front of me starts moving...

People are freaking stressed when they have to take a plane...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Matt wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:59

Because it generally doesn't work. I remember my flight from LHR to JNB last year, was on an A380.

'NOW BOARDING PASSENGERS IN SECTION 4'

The hoard assembled and went to the gate, 305 people for economy pushing to get in asap. ( thrust me, this took a while for an A380 which was full )

Same with my flight from BRU to JFK with Delta, B767.

'NOW BOARDING PASSENGERS IN SECTION A'

The hoard assembled and went to the gate, 196 people for economy pushing to get in asap.

I don't know what is going on in these people their minds, I usually grab another coffee/go to the toilet when they announce this. It's like a switch going on in some people's head: WE GOTTA GO ON.

Same thing with getting out of the plane fyi. Everyone stands up when the doors are still closed and than they stand there for 10 minuts trying to get out asap. I usually sit till the row in front of me starts moving...

People are freaking stressed when they have to take a plane...
When I worked in aviation (a long tinme ago) we always said that passengers tend to pack their brains in their bags when taking an airplane...

Cheers,

Stij