VLM LCY-BRU (and return)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

VLM LCY-BRU (and return)

Post by Comet »

Okay, this flight was last year, but I've only just discovered this forum (good range of topics by the way!!)
These were my first flights with VLM, having been a die-hard Sabena fan before the bankrupcy. I found London City an easy airport to use. It is excellent for spotting, with a long walkway parallel to the runway (in the middle of the river Thames) giving excellent opportunities for take off photography.
Our flight was a little late landing, but the very quick turn around (called to the gate before the aircraft had even arrived) made up for any delay. Flight was operated by Fokker 50 OO-VLQ, flight number was VG158. Clean aircraft, but lacked the leather seats that VLM claim all their Fokker 50s have (none even in business class). Excellent flight, not too high so a good view of land below. Cabin crew friendly and efficient (but they are no Sabena, even though they are excellent). Had orange juice as a drink, don't know what beer was offered. Good landing in Brussels (my FAVOURITE airport in the world!!) The bus was waiting to take us to the arrivals area and we were processed through quickly.
Going back, I spent most of the day spotting in BRU, videoing SNBA Avros and watching the VLM Fokker 50 going back and forth between BRU and LCY. We flew on OO-VLQ again on our return flight. It was an excellent flight (and how I hate to leave BRU behind!!) and the approach into LCY is stunning, good views of the Houses of Parliament and some very tight turns as the aircraft descends. The short runway of LCY is perfectly suited to VLM and their Fokker 50s.
I shall be flying with VLM in September, this time to Antwerp from London City. I want to fly with SN Brussels, but the travel company in Britain which does holidays in Mechelen (there is only one which does) is the only one which does not offer flights with SN Brussels, it is either VLM, BA or British Midland, and if I cannot fly to Belgium on a Belgian airline then I will do without.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet,
Would you by any chance be the list master of the Sabenabelgianairlines forum on Yahoo Groups? :roll:
Last edited by sn26567 on 12 Jul 2003, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Yes Andre - I am the same "Comet" - I use that name on all civil aviation forums, makes it easier to remember.
Sorry for this late reply to the post, but my computer has been playing up a little bit in the past few days.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:Yes Andre - I am the same "Comet" - I use that name on all civil aviation forums, makes it easier to remember.
Comet is a very nice nickname and it reminds me (I have the age to remember :( ) the first ever civilian jet (De Havilland DH-106 Comet), with its unsurpassed silhouette.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Yes, the Comet is a superb looking aircraft, it is also very interesting. That is why I chose the name.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I love the engines on the comet. When I saw them at first, I didn't realise what they were. And I had though the 737-200 had small turbofans!

Comet

Post by Comet »

My first ever posts on Luchtzak! The Comet had beautifully placed engines, very sleek and clean lines. The photo in sn26567's link is one I sometimes use as an avatar, I like to rotate my avatars to show the different aircraft I like.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise