WAW-AMS-NCL on KLM 11/09/17

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

WAW-AMS-NCL on KLM 11/09/17

Post by Comet »

Warsaw to Amsterdam KL1364

We loved Warsaw but the weather had not been kind - it only improved on the Friday before we flew home on the Monday. It was overcast at WAW. We had checked in online the day before so we just had to wait to drop off our checked in luggage. The screen was slow to show the correct check in area for KLM but when the information was finally put up we found a long queue at the desk so I don't know how the people in front had known for so long where they would have to queue!

Baggage drop was efficient and soon we were in the departure area. After buying some cherry vodka we headed to gate 32, where our flight would depart from. Viewing was good.

LOT Boeing 737 passes by.

LOT aircraft parked away from the terminal.

OO-DWD arrives from Brussels.

When I booked our flights on KLM I hoped we would get a flight in PH-BXH - so I was pleased when I saw our aircraft approach the terminal :mrgreen:

Boeing 737-800 PH-BXH "Gans"/"Goose" arrives from Amsterdam.

LOT Nordica passes.

Our aircraft is prepared as passengers from Amsterdam disembark.

You can just see the Dutch name on here.

The Goose had obviously had a full load as lots of people got off.

Air France Skyteam livery.

And again.

Aeroflot.

And again.

We boarded the aircraft in good time and settled into our seats - we had 6A and 6B Economy Comfort again.

View from my seat.

We were supposed to depart at 12:25 but there were strong winds in Amsterdam which were causing delays, so the Captain announced we would have a 25 minute delay, and he hoped to make up time on the way.

British Airways and LOT at the terminal.

Inside our aircraft.

We finally pushed back at 12:48 and took off at 12:57. It was hazy and cloudy as we climbed away from Warsaw.

Climbing away.

Leaving Warsaw behind :-(

Between the clouds.

As we climbed we encountered slight turbulence.

The inflight snack consisted of a Beemster cheese sandwich on organic bread and orange juice. It was very nice :mrgreen:

Snack box.

Beemster cheese info.

Never had organic bread inflight before!

It was a very good sandwich - thank you again KLM!

As we cruised the cloud had increased, and so had the turbulence, and the seat belt signs were switched on.

A break in the cloud.

The cloud had thickened as we neared Amsterdam but thinned out again. The Captain announced that it was windy in AMS.

Our route to AMS had taken us south of Poznan and over Potsdam, at an altitude of 38,000 feet.

Nearer Amsterdam.

We were to land on Polderbaan.

We touched down on Polderbaan at 14:49. It was very murky in AMS. People hoping to fly to Montreal had missed their connection owing to the late departure. I felt sorry for them, it must be worrying if you miss a long distance connection.

View as we taxied to the terminal.

Never seen Arkia before.

TUI Dreamliner.

Schiphol buildings.

Once again we had a great flight with KLM. The delay meant a shorter connection time (or so we thought!) for our flight to NCL, which was due to leave at 16:20.

Transfer in Schiphol

We were in a hurry, and it wasn't helped by a group of stupid oiks who were blocking the moving walkway and preventing people passing. We passed through passport control into the D area quite quickly but next time we used AMS we will NOT use the moving walkways!

Amsterdam to Newcastle KL963

The sign which greeted us at gate D43 - our flight was delayed owing to the aircraft being late incoming to AMS! We needn't have rushed so much! In the end the delay was increased to 17:05!

I assumed this would operate our flight to NCL, as it was parked at our gate, but it was taken away.

Always nice to see a 747.

Tails.

Finally the correct aircraft - PH-BXU "Albatros"/"Albatross" arrives.

Baggage handlers at work.

The wraps are loaded next.

We had seats 8A and 8B and the flight was full. It had started to rain heavily as we waited to board.

View from my seat.

Rainbow.

We pushed back at 17:10 and took off at 17:24. Our flight was expected to take one hour and we took off to the south west and made a right turn.

After take off.

We climbed through the low cloud.

The inflight snack was a scrambled egg wrap, disappointed not to get Beemster cheese again but the wrap was nice.

Broken cloud.

Thick cloud over England.

We crossed the English coast to the south of Grimsby and flew towards Yorkshire. We flew over Pontefract and Castleford in West Yorkshire and Pateley Bridge in North Yorkshire. We crossed the eastern edge of the Yorkshire Dales. We flew at an altitude of 36,000 feet.

Probably over Yorkshire.

We flew over County Durham

We flew over the Northumberland coast and had excellent views as we turned in the Blyth area. We landed in NCL at 17:25, 45 minutes later than our scheduled time.

On the ground in NCL.

Again an excellent flight with KLM. Would I fly with them again? Definitely! Would I visit Warsaw again? Absolutely! Definitely! I loved the city and hope to see it in good weather next year :mrgreen:

The video of our flights. The approach in to NCL is shortened owing to battery running low and wanting to finish the video with landing rather than final approach!

Last edited by Comet on 25 Sep 2017, 20:43, edited 3 times in total.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: WAW-AMS-NCL on KLM 11/09/17

Post by sn26567 »

Sorry, Louise, but I can't see any of your pictures. Instead, I see a square with the following text: "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting". And then: "For important info, please go to www.photobucket.com/P500".

But the video is OK ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Very sorry about that Andre :-( The photos looked OK when I previewed the post and just after I submitted it.

The links to the albums containing the photos if anyone wants to see them http://s2.photobucket.com/user/VC10/lib ... t=2&page=1 for WAW-AMS and http://s2.photobucket.com/user/VC10/lib ... t=2&page=1 for AMS-NCL.

I've used Photobucket for years and I've never had that problem when posting my reports before.
Louise

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Great reports!
Glad you enjoyed Warsaw :ugeek:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 19:17 I've used Photobucket for years and I've never had that problem when posting my reports before.
Sure, but now it seems that they want money for being able to share pictures on other websites.

You certainly know that you can upload pictures within a post by using the dedicated feature located in the "Attachments" tab under each post when writing or editing.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Charlie Roy and Andre for comments :mrgreen: I have uploaded the photos to a different site and they seem to be working OK now :mrgreen:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks, Louise. It works fine now.

You photographed the Brussels Airlines Avro RJ100 OO-DWD. Since today this is the only Avro left in SN's fleet: a rarity!

Why did you hope to get a flight in PH-BXH? Anything special with that plane?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Why did you hope to get a flight in PH-BXH? Anything special with that plane?
Quite an unusual story :mrgreen: I post on a Facebook group for cat owners and one of the group members had adopted two rescue cats from the Soi Foundation in Thailand. The cats were to be flown from Bangkok to Edinburgh via Amsterdam on KLM. On the day they flew I found the flight on Flightradar and posted the link on Facebook, telling their new owner how to follow the flight progress. Quite a few group members ended up following the flights. The flight from Bangkok to Amsterdam was operated by 777 PH-BVP but the flight which brought the two cats to Scotland was operated by PH-BXH and I thought it would be good if we flew on the same aircraft and I could get a photo to show the rest of the group.

The two cats after arriving in Scotland:
https://www.facebook.com/Extrordinair/p ... 2346954907
Louise

convair

Post by convair »

So you have Rose and Violet. And where are Hyacinth and Daisy? ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 12:10 You photographed the Brussels Airlines Avro RJ100 OO-DWD. Since today this is the only Avro left in SN's fleet: a rarity!
I was pleased to see SN's Avro, last time I saw an SN aircraft it was an Airbus in KRK. Such a shame that the Avro era is almost at an end, I remember our first Sabena flight was in an Avro back in July 2000. I have nice memories of flights in the Avro.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

convair wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 23:54 So you have Rose and Violet. And where are Hyacinth and Daisy? ;)
:mrgreen: Rose and Violet are not mine, though I follow their stories on Facebook still. Maybe Hyacinth and Daisy will be next :-)
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 10:15 I was pleased to see SN's Avro, last time I saw an SN aircraft it was an Airbus in KRK. Such a shame that the Avro era is almost at an end, I remember our first Sabena flight was in an Avro back in July 2000. I have nice memories of flights in the Avro.
You will soon be able to register for an Avro farewell flight at the end of October. BRU-GVA-BRU (last commercial flight) or BRU-BRU (Avgeek flight).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

sn26567 wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 10:35
Comet wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 10:15 I was pleased to see SN's Avro, last time I saw an SN aircraft it was an Airbus in KRK. Such a shame that the Avro era is almost at an end, I remember our first Sabena flight was in an Avro back in July 2000. I have nice memories of flights in the Avro.
You will soon be able to register for an Avro farewell flight at the end of October. BRU-GVA-BRU (last commercial flight) or BRU-BRU (Avgeek flight).
I thought the farewell flight was only for employees and press?

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 10:35 You will soon be able to register for an Avro farewell flight at the end of October. BRU-GVA-BRU (last commercial flight) or BRU-BRU (Avgeek flight).
As well as SN withdrawing the Avro, KLM are also withdrawing the Fokker jet. That is another type I had hoped to fly in one day but I'm too late :-( We won't get our next flights until next year and by then the Fokker will be long gone.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Charlie Roy wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 23:07 Great reports!
Glad you enjoyed Warsaw :ugeek:
Warsaw is a beautiful, amazing, fascinating city. The only downside was the weather preventing us seeing so much (we had planned to visit a few of the parks but rain prevented us and we only experienced Saxon Gardens on the day before we came home). Next time I hope the weather will be kinder because there is still so much I want to see there but it all depends on us having good weather.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Louise, you should change your signature: VLM is back! :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 11:24 Louise, you should change your signature: VLM is back! :)
Changed :-)
Louise