BRU-EWR-BRU UA998/999 Polaris Business Class

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
CTBke

BRU-EWR-BRU UA998/999 Polaris Business Class

Post by CTBke »

Flight:UA998
02/JUL/2017
B777-200 N76010
Brussels (BRU/EBBR) - Newark (EWR/KEWR)
11L Polaris Business Class
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure:11:00/11:15 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival:13:20/13:11 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight:8hr35/7hr56min

On this grey Sunday I decided to try out United's new Polaris business class product. Nowadays they send a 2 class 777-200 to Brussels which holds 50 in Polaris and 217 in economy. Today's loadfactor was around 50% in C and full in eco. I got seat 11L which was a window seat with 11K empty and the last row of the 2nd business cabin as there's one part between doors 1 and 2, and 4 rows from door 2 until economy Plus with a bulkhead in between.

As I was the last one on board I didn't get a pre departure drink but I did get the menu card, which I had to decide what I wanted to have as the steward came around before departure to take the orders.

The plane took off around 11:15 (including a short taxi time) from RWY25R to make a right turn to avoid the city of Brussels and head to London, Cork and the transatlantic route. As soon as the cruising altitude was reached the crew came around with the starter. Different from the old product is that you get a small salad and a smal appetizer. No more big salad with dressings to choose from. They also changed from a breadbasket to bread which is already on the tray. One piece of bread and one piece of garlic bread.

Chilled Appetizer
Smoked chicken, farro salad with dried cranberry and pumpkin seeds, brined carrot, whole-grain mustard
Salad
Mixed greens, celery root, seedless grape, hard-boiled egg

soon after the entree followed

Seared chicken breast
Neapolitan sauce, creamy polenta, carrot, yellow squash, zucchini

Although the chicken looked juicy it was rather dry, also no pass around of bread was performed

Soon after, cheese was proposed as well as the traditional ice cream which was in cardboard cups as they have issues with the fancy glass globelike ice cream bowls. As it was a bit angled it could spill if you weren't quick enough to eat your ice cream so they removed it and replace it with this temporary solution.

In general they really redesigned their Business Class product and made it their own, the design of their logo comes back in every little detail. Even the salt and pepper shaker are mini globes which stand for their logo of course. The only downside on this flight was the crew as they weren't engaging and one had to be quick to ask everything he needed as soon as the crew brought your plate or cleared something away.

After the meal service they came around with little water bottles for during the flight

Checked out some movies and the moving map which they allow you to listen to the cockpit ATC communication during the flight. As the crew don't pass around anymore with snacks or anything they do invite you to serve yourself with their bar which was located in between the 2 business class cabins. A cart with sweet and salty items as well as some more bottles of water.

Around 1,5 hour before landing they passed around with the before landing meal again with the bread already on the tray.

Grilled chicken
Tomato-basil sauce, vegetable couscous, green beans served with a side salad

Again very dry chicken, I guess today's galley attendant wasn't familiar with the cooking. But did enjoyed the side salad and the couscous which was nice. The temperature of the dish was on the ok side, let's say it was ready to eat.

A little later the purser came around to thank each passenger personally to have flown UA that day and to hand over a small box of chocolates (wonder where they saw that extra touch ;) )

Touchdown was 9 minutes in advance and after some waiting time before parking the aircraft we could disembark through the renovated C terminal.

Flight:UA999
Date : 02/JUL/2017
Aircraft: B777-200 N78013
From-To: Newark (EWR/KEWR) - Brussels (BRU/EBBR)
11L Polaris Business Class
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 18:10/18:51 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 07:45 +1/07:15+1 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight:7hr30/6hr24min

The evening's flight to Brussels was completely full, only 3 seats left in Business and 0 in economy and a lot of Jewish passengers as well but this is always the case on the EWR-BRU as they connect on SN to various European destinations.
I got the same seat on the way home which was 11L, boarding started on time with the group order. Once I got to my seat the FA came around with the menu card and the choice of pre departure drink

Push back was a lot later due to heavy traffic and same time departures/arrivals at the same terminal. Once we were taxing to the runway I could enjoy the spectacular view on NY's skyline which makes you realize how close you are to NYC.

Once airborne, the plane mad a huge U turn over the airport and straight over central park to start it's Atlantic crossing. First a pass around with hot towels and then the aperitif service started, one of the nice new features of the new Polaris is that you can ask for a wine tasting where the FA would give you 3 different wines one a special tray which you can taste. As it was a short flight to BRU I just opted for a Spanish Burgans 2015 Albarino of which I got a generous filled glass accompanied by warm nuts (what else ;) )

The crew on the return flight was such a big difference from the morning crew, they were engaging and gave you the feeling they had all the time of the world although on a 6hr flight they don't have that much time as everyone wants to sleep. The FA working on my side of the cabin was ex continental and that showed in the way she treated the passengers as she made little jokes and connected with each and one of them. She also gave me the foam pillow (the blue one on the right) this is a new feature on their flights to guarantee you good night sleep.

After the aperitif they came around with the starter (all done individually by hand).

Chilled appetizer
Smoked nori-wrapped salon, edamame, radish, edamame hummus
Salad
Cabbage, bok choy, carrot, mango served with dressing and assorted breads

Again the bread was already on the tray so no more choice of bread anymore as they pick for you.
Soon after, my three empty plates were traded for the entrée.

Poached salmon
Lentil chili, Broccolini

After the dry chicken from the morning flight I was a bit scared for the way back so I opted for the Salmon which was hot as it should be and very tasteful, just like when you would order it at a restaurant. This time the galley attendant knew what she was doing. Once I enjoyed this hot dish it was time for cheese and desserts.

Immediately you can see the extra touch in adding a glass plate underneath the cardboard cup which gives that little bit of extra. When coming around with the ice cream cart they give you the choice between ice cream with toppings or a sweet selection of macarons, brownies, cheesecake. This is dessert++

Soon after clearing everything she asked me if I wanted to be woken up for breakfast or not which I said yes to as I didn't want to miss it. A little while later the lights were turned off and I could enjoy a 2hrs vast sleep with my foam pillow. Also on your seat you get a plush duvet and a lightweight day blanket both provided by Saks fifth avenue. Upon request you could get fleece-lined slippers and a mattress cushion which I would opt for on a longer flight (+10hrs).

after 2hrs (approx. 1hr30 before arrival) I woke up with the sound of hot towel (which is a subtle way to wake up passengers) tables were dressed again and breakfast was served. I opted for the cold breakfast which as with cereals as I had a hot meal 2hrs earlier.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the fruit, and in general I don't really like fruit on a plane. But the other option was hot breakfast with an omelet. This is another change from the old product where you could choose between a sweet or savoury breakfast they give you a choice between a cold or hot breakfast which isn't so bad as some people prefer a hot breakfast over a cold one.

As soon as we entered Belgian airspace I tuned in to the moving map channel to hear familiair Beeline callsigns 552/502 arriving from Canada and JFK

As soon as the final descent started the purser came around with the goodbye chocolates and the personal thank you as well as the FA serving my side of the aircraft. Arrived with a 30 minutes of advance despite the delay upon departure on RW25L.

In general they really upgraded their product, it's all in line with their new 777-300 as it looks a bit strange on a 777-200 without the polaris cabin. But depending on the crew it's a success. The restaurant feeling got even better as they don't use any meal or beverage trolleys throughout the service. Only service carts and that's what it's all about in C-class as meal and beverage trolleys are for Economy class as it has to go quicker and less personal. The partnership with Saks Fifth Avenue is also a huge step up, especially with the new bedding equipment which is a very good thing on ultra long haul flights 8h+ the only thing is you have to stow it for departure as you have a lot on your seat before departure ( a large pillow,1 blanket and 1 duvet) Their amenity kit still contains the cowshed products but are added with Soho House products and the bag itself is better usable afterwards as its a square one so easy to fit in you luggage afterwards.
The all forward seats ar much more comfortable than the forward and aft facing seats as well as their 2-2-2 config compared to the old 2-4-2 config, you get more privacy as the seats aren't directly next to each other and a little bit more storage space underneath your screen for smaller personal items.

It all comes down to the crew, if you have good crew who likes to chat and are there to serve their passengers its a good flight but if you have a crew who's more busy with each other than the passengers, it can be a long flight. Still United stays my preferred carrier to fly transatlantic.
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Re: BRU-EWR-BRU UA998/999 Polaris Business Class

Post by sn26567 »

Very interesting report, raising a number of questions (although it's always nice to be able to travel business):

Outbound and inbound on the same day? Were you on an evaluation trip? That didn't leave you much time to visit Newark, let alone New York. Did you leave EWR airport at all?

Meals: don't you have a choice of entrees anymore? One dish fits all? Furthermore, the quality of meals doesn't look worth of a business class ticket (but I haven't flown transatlantic business for more than a decade now). However I noticed the clear difference between the two flights.

Service: again, noticeable difference between the two flights. One of them clearly missed the extra smile.

Overall, glad for you that you prefer United for TATL flights. May I refer you to this link for a comparison with SN (report made by an American for less bias)?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61818
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Thanks Andre, glad you like it ...

It was a return flight the same day indeed, spend my time in the lounge to wait for my return flight to Brussels.

They still offer 5 choices of entrees, i'll post the pictures later this week of the other options. Compared to last years service they indeed downsized the portions and quality although i have to say catering coming from their home base had a better quality than LSG's quality out of Brussels .. .

Compared to SN's service it's the same amount of food you get nowadays they just dress it differently on plates ;-) they assume you would eat before your flight but loungefood in EWR was more snacking than real food (only salads, cheese and soup to choose from) have flown SN's C-class several times on long haul and it's true , their current seat isn't the best one for sleeping, let alone the pillow which is a shame for business class travel.
Citybird
The flying dream

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

From what I've heard and red the service has slipped a bit since CO became UA? Any truth in it?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Conti764 wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 09:58 From what I've heard and red the service has slipped a bit since CO became UA? Any truth in it?
my own experience is that if you have a full CO crew it's a better service than UA peeps, as CO always used to work by hand in the cabin without meal trolleys. But it always depends on the crew you have because even with CO peeps the difference is there ... but they still deliver a good service in general
Citybird
The flying dream

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Awesome trip report!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

and for those who wondered what the other options were ... ;-)

BRU-EWR/ORD/IAD

EWR/ORD/IAD-BRU

Beverage list on both flights

Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

So, it's Cheese OR Dessert, not Cheese AND dessert :)

I would try to get both ;)

Nice selection anyway.
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 17:30 So, it's Cheese OR Dessert, not Cheese AND dessert :)

Nice selection anyway.
They say so, but they gladly offer you anything you like but they did forget the Port on both legs
Citybird
The flying dream

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

So they forgot the best thing with the dessert !
Don't care the cheese but the Port ! Oh no lol !

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

The best part of Polaris is the Polaris lounge in Chicago though :-)

Else, it is an upgrade food / comfort when compared to previous C-class of UA.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

evyncke wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 19:18 The best part of Polaris is the Polaris lounge in Chicago though :-)

Else, it is an upgrade food / comfort when compared to previous C-class of UA.
Completely agree with you, they still need to renovate the Club at EWR as it's still the old one.
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

CTBke wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 18:22
sn26567 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 17:30 So, it's Cheese OR Dessert, not Cheese AND dessert :)

Nice selection anyway.
They say so, but they gladly offer you anything you like but they did forget the Port on both legs
Quite a pity! I always make sure I have my Port on both legs! ;) 8-) :mrgreen:

(Sorry! I couldn't resist! ;) )

Frederic_K

Post by Frederic_K »

CTBke wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 09:41 Thanks Andre, glad you like it ...

It was a return flight the same day indeed, spend my time in the lounge to wait for my return flight to Brussels.
Whilst some would give an arm and a leg to fly business class one day, you did a return flight without any purpose.
#jealous
8-)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Frederic_K wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 13:21
CTBke wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 09:41 Thanks Andre, glad you like it ...

Whilst some would give an arm and a leg to fly business class one day, you did a return flight without any purpose.
#jealous
8-)
It was with a purpose, my best friend was working on one leg while she usually flies the 787 out of SFO ;)
Citybird
The flying dream

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

Hello CTBke

Thanks for sharing your daytrip to EWR!
Great to see how United improved it's Polaris expercience!
And indeed, the crew can make or break the flight... no matter how good the hard product can be!

Greetings
Marc