Brussels-Heathrow-Belfast with British Airways, two days after the IT breakdown

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

Brussels-Heathrow-Belfast with British Airways, two days after the IT breakdown

Post by sn26567 »

Report on a 20 persons group flight, two days after BA had to cancel its entire flight schedule due to a computer outage.

Initially we were booked on Brussels Airlines but they abruptly stopped flying to Belfast hence we had no other choice than to switch carriers.

We were of course afraid that there would still be delays in the entire BA network, but it appeared that the flights were almost back to normal.

1. BRU - LHR

Flight: British Airways BA395
Date : 29/05/2017
Aircraft: Airbus A319 G-EUPA (Golden Dove livery)
From-To: Brussels - London Heathrow(BRU-LHR)
Seat: 12F
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 15:25/15:39 (GMT+2)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 15:45/15:50 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 20 min/1 hr 11 min

The incoming flight was some 12 minutes late. I was happy to see a special livery: the Golden Olympic Dove. It is seen here landing on 25L and later at gate B08.
A319 G-EUPA landing on runway 25L (© Philippe Delcourt)
A319 G-EUPA landing on runway 25L (© Philippe Delcourt)
G-EUPA at gate B08
G-EUPA at gate B08
IMG_4859.JPG
Departure was a little bit late, which was worrying because the transfer time in London was only one hour.
Taxiing to runway 25R
Taxiing to runway 25R
Take-off from 25R and right turn over the Ring Route.

On board, I selected a nice cheddar cheese sandwich prepared by Marks & Spencer. Yes, since a couple of weeks, no more free food, but buy on board. I paid with avios for the first time. Thus it was still a free lunch :)

A small holding pattern over London city (no noise regulation there?) before landing on 27L with only 5 minutes delay.
Flying over London City Airport
Flying over London City Airport
No noise regulation over London? Small holding pattern before landing
No noise regulation over London? Small holding pattern before landing
At gate in Heathrow
At gate in Heathrow
Full itinerary BA395
Full itinerary BA395
BA395.PNG (198.23 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
2. Transfer at LHR

Since the remaining transfer time was only 55 minutes, BA had dispatched two persons to guide our group through Terminal 5. With the train from the B gates to the A gates, then through passport control and security (again! The British really don't trust the Europeans). And I can tell you that after the Manchester attack of the previous week, security was enhanced and going through it took a lot of time, despite being allowed in the Fast Track.

Anyway, we arrived at Gate A7 when the flight was closing and could barely make it. Thanks for the BA service here.

3. LHR - BHD

Flight: BA1418
Date : 29/05/2017
Aircraft: Airbus A319 G-EUPY
From-To: London Heathrow - Belfast City (LHR-BHD)
Seat: 19F
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 16:45/16:53 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 18:10/18:25 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 25 min/1 hr 32 min

Thus, after being among the last to board, the aircraft left the gate a few minutes after schedule, but taxied for no less than 35 minutes before taking off from 27R.
Boarding G-EUPY
Boarding G-EUPY
After a smooth flight, landing on Runway 22 15 minutes late at "George Best" (Belfast City, as opposed to Belfast International) in rainy Ireland. And there a gate agent prohibited me from taking a picture. I disobeyed!
Goerge Best airport
Goerge Best airport
At gate in BHD
At gate in BHD
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Re: Brussels-Heathro-Belfast with British Airways, two days after the IT breakdown

Post by Stij »

Thank-you for your report André!
A connecting time in LHR of 1 hour... courageous, very courageous!
A friend of mine was less lucky: On Saturday he guided a group of 16 persons from the port of Southampton to Belgium via LHR on BA. He knew there were problems but as their flight was leaving at 18:50 and BA announced that flights would be resumed at 18:00 he still went to LHR. The only news there was "go away", the terminal is closed.
If BA's communication would have been better and more accurate, he could have sent the group's coach to Calais. In fact, not even travel agents were informed about the problem, he had to hear it from the news.

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Re: Brussels-Heathrow-Belfast with British Airways, two days after the IT breakdown

Post by sn26567 »

Yes I also heard BA communication was catastrophic if not existing. But yesterday they made a real effort to ease our transfer at LHR. That kind of service was great!
André
ex Sabena #26567