Tips and advice for WAW airport?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Tips and advice for WAW airport?

Post by Comet »

Does anyone have any good tips/advice about WAW Chopin Airport? I have read some pretty unpleasant reviews of the place which invariably mention slow passport checks, nasty security staff who can't talk English and people often missing their flights because the process of going through security and passport checks is so slow!
Please tell me it's not that bad!

We always check in as soon as possible (online if we can and then drop off our bags at the airport) so we don't leave it until the last minute for check in as some people like to do. We are flying from WAW-AMS - will that make a difference to length of time in a passport queue?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: Tips and advice for WAW airport?

Post by sn26567 »

You will clear passport control at AMS in both directions. You shouldn't have any trouble at WAW, which is a nice modern airport (although sometimes crowded). The queues might be longer in AMS!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Frederic_K

Post by Frederic_K »

do not worry, not worse or better than any other European airport.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for answering :mrgreen: We have a bit longer in AMS on our return leg as our flight has been retimed, I'm not complaining as transferring makes me nervous - last time we did it (at Heathrow) it was a real pain.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote: 30 May 2017, 10:29 Thanks for answering :mrgreen: We have a bit longer in AMS on our return leg as our flight has been retimed, I'm not complaining as transferring makes me nervous - last time we did it (at Heathrow) it was a real pain.
I transferred in LHR yesterday and it was indeed a real pain, now that security has just been increased. One hour was really insufficient.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

LHR was a nightmare back in 2006 - landed at Terminal One from MAN and then had to dash over to Terminal Four to catch our flight to BRU. Had to use the fast track security lane and dash to the gates area. After arrival in BRU we discovered that none of our bags had accompanied us - one was still at LHR and the other hadn't even left MAN. One bag arrived on the later flight from LHR which in turn made us late getting to our hotel (this was Christmas Eve). We got our other bag back at New Year.
Louise

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

I can't remember having troubles in WAW!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

quixoticguide wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 20:24 I can't remember having troubles in WAW!
I already made 'very' short connections in WAW.
André
ex Sabena #26567

M K

Post by M K »

WAW Airport is just like other European airports.

Comet

Post by Comet »

M K wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 22:42 WAW Airport is just like other European airports.
Some European airports are truly vile (Munich and CDG come to mind) and some are pleasant and easy to use. Which category does WAW come into?
Louise

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Indeed you can make short connections in WAW, but i missed almost my flight extra-shengen because of the -frequent the say there- strikes of the immigration police...
1 h of waiting to get your passport sorted...
So be there on time for your flight to LHR !

Otherwise, WAW is quite pleasant, nice views of the runway and planes, polish food and mcDonalds, COSTA coffee and PAUL's and some nice shops for liquor and stuff...

Free ( good working not limited ) WIFI ! and electricity sockets !

Enjoy !

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

WalterBoyd

Post by WalterBoyd »

If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Warsaw airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details
With Very early flight from Warsaw Airport, just book a night in cheapper hotel close to the airport and order a taxi or go to any club till 4.30am and then to the airport.
photo editor

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the replies :mrgreen: We had our first experience of WAW on Monday this week - we didn't pass through any passport check when we arrived (maybe because we arrived from a Schengen country) and just walked through the green customs lane to find the train into Warsaw. My experience of KRK departures last year wasn't favourable, as the passport control was at the gate entrance, it took ages and our flight was called as we were stuck in the queue. Thankfully we made the flight but we were getting concerned as we waited for passport control.
Louise

convair

Post by convair »

How was the border control in AMS? Long queue?

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

convair wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 20:52 How was the border control in AMS? Long queue?
Flew from AMS to the US last week and queues were not long at all, be it for security or passport control, a nice surprise for sure :)

Comet

Post by Comet »

AMS was fine - there were some queues at the ordinary passport desks near the entrance to the C gates but I used the e-passport gate and there was no queue there. We fly back today and we are currently at WAW.
Louise