Heathrow-Krakow on British Airways 5 September 2016

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Heathrow-Krakow on British Airways 5 September 2016

Post by Comet »

This year we decided to have a holiday in Krakow, after finding out that British Airways had convenient flight times to KRK from Heathrow. This would be our first trip to Poland, and the first time we had flown from LHR, or with BA, since 2006 when our bags didn't accompany us!
Our travel to LHR was very smooth, across London on the Underground to catch the Heathrow Express at Paddington which stops at Terminal Five, where our hotel was located.
Our flight was due to depart at 09:25, so we had an early start on the Monday morning. It was cloudy, and showery. Not ideal for photography, and I was keen to try out my new camera at an airport.
I had pre-reserved our seats, and we had 18A and 18B. We checked in using the self service check in machine and dropped off our bags before going through security to have a couple of hours spotting.

A view across the Terminal Five apron. The Jet Time aircraft was operating flights to Scotland for BA. This was the first time I'd seen them.

The Danish-registered JetTime aircraft.

We'd seen a few special liveries while we were at LHR - the first one was the Boeing 747 with the gold nose which had flown the British Olympic team home from Rio. The second was this Aer Lingus Irish rugby aircraft:

American 767 - the first time I'd photographed their latest livery.

Another special livery was this London 2012 themed British Airways A320:

Something I never expected to see at LHR - a Thomson Dreamliner!

The Dreamliner is called Alfie!

Queuing for take off.

Our flight was slightly delayed owing to late arrival of the aircraft from Milan. We were to depart from gate B34, which required a short ride on a monorail type thing, quite good and something I've not experienced at any other airport.

A320 G-EUUG at gate B34 is prepared for flight BA872 to Krakow.

BA A320 with sharklets.

We were called forward to board at 9:15. As we entered the aircraft we were deafened by raucous classical music being blasted out over the sound system.

The safety card. It was a relief when the safety video started because it cut off that damned classical music!

View from my seat.

Inflight magazine.

View inside the aircraft.

We pushed back at 09:46 and taxied to runway 9R. The Captain was (as usual for BA) very informative about the conditions - two hours expected flight time, wet in KRK and potentially turbulent during the early cruise phase.

I saw several A380s as we taxied and while we were on the runway. I also saw my only LOT aircraft of the holiday as it landed from WAW.

We took off at 10:06.

It was cloudy as we climbed away but as we reached altitude the cloud was broken.

Above the cloud.

Passing the Essex coastline. We took a more "northerly" route than normal - instead of crossing the coast at Kent, flying over Belgium, some of Germany, over Prague and into Poland we crossed the coast of East Anglia and then Holland before flying across Germany and into Poland that way.

Scene from the Airshow display. I live to see the Airshow, more interesting than ANY inflight film!

According to Airhow, we cruised at 37,000 feet, at 583 mph and had a 57 mph tailwind.

I have always found British Airways inflight snacks to be quite pleasant, and today's was no exception. We were served a soft cheese and tomato relish on a croissant, with orange juice to drink.

The inflight snack.

Broken cloud over the Continent.

It was cloudy and grey over Poland. The Captain said we would have a westerly breeze on landing and would be landing on the west runway at Krakow.

My first glimpse of Poland through the cloud.

We landed at 12:54.

My first photo on Polish soil taken just after landing.

Tails - one unfamiliar to me (I had never seen that Norwegian tail before) and one VERY familiar!

The sight of this made my day, I was VERY happy to see them!

We taxied to the terminal and were taken by bus to the arrivals area.

We caught the train from the airport station into central Krakow. I will say more about my opinion of KRK in my return report.

The train to the city centre.

We had a good week, drunk Belgian beers, ate pierogies and had a tour in a Trabant car.

The video of my flight:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

jan_olieslagers

Re: Heathrow-Krakow on British Airways 5 September 2016

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Not waiting for your further report - Kraków (pronounce Krrakoov) is a very beautiful city with a lot of history - it was Poland's capital at one time. I was recently shown around there by a local friend and what a good time that was. Funnily, he entertained me on CAMRA-class bitter, including a visit to the brewery in the inn's cellar!

Comet

Post by Comet »

I liked Krakow, once the weather improved it was sunny all the time and I took more than 600 photos, more than I've ever taken on holiday before. I'd like to see more of Poland, including Warsaw. As Krakow is in the south it is not so well placed for getting to other cities easily. We drunk some Polish beer as well, but I always had a Belgian beer every night because Belgian beer always takes priority over any other beer when it is available.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for sharing your nice report, Louise. I obviously know Krakow very well, thanks to my wife's family.

I still have some questions about your flight, which was a nice one apparently. What was the load factor of your flight? Are British Airways still serving free food? (I recently read that it was going to be paying...).

I am surprised to see an AN A319 in KRK: every time I flew there in the past I got an Avro.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Andre. To answer your questions - I would say the load factor was 100%. The KRK route is very popular and BA is the only full service carrier operating on the route from Britain. The inflight snack we had was included in the price. BA has a basic free snack included in the fare, but offers the option of buying an "improved" meal (I don't know what they offer for a fee as I never checked that section in the area of their site where you can manage your booking). The A319 operated the flight from and to BRU yesterday as well. The only thing I found amusing was that I didn't see one LOT plane in Poland, only at Heathrow. Our flight was very good, I generally have nothing but praise for the crews and service on BA, just sometimes their ground staff can let you down when they don't put your luggage in the hold :-)
Louise

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

With all the rumours and discrimination acts in the UK against Polish people it is not so strange we see a lot of , low cost flights from the UK to Poland , today it was in the news the low cost operators increases next season the UK-Poland flights by 15 ! weekly !
More then 900000 polish are living in the UK and they are the second biggest immigration group after the Indians... ( no Muslims it seems what puts the recent wave in another light.. off the record ;) ) ...

No LOT flights in KRK ? Strange as they operate two hourly almost to WAW.
I flew them this year in to KRK, E195 in, dash8 out..
Maybe you d'idn't noticed but the dash8's are almost uniqly operating for LOT over there, but they still have their white,red EUROLOT livery...

Nice to see BA is still serving some free stuff, their lemon white chocolat cookie is heavenly !

Could you book your seats 24h in advance for free, I heard this week its charged anyway when you choose your seat by yourself even 24h in advance?
If this is true I guess I never fly BA again :/
They will go from my favourite airline to the to avoid airline then...
:/
Still have eurowings soon I guess as another option...
SN A319 instead of an avro, it seems we know already one of the avro replaced destinations for the airbus, also Oslo is a certainity,...
Still prefer an avro whenever its possible :) so much nicer seats and views :)

Thx for your report Comet!

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Comet

Post by Comet »

There were LOT flights operating to and from KRK, I just didn't see the aircraft. I heard the flights being called but the viewing was bad and I only saw the aircraft which I photographed from our plane.

I paid to reserve our seats on BA months in advance as I wanted a window seat and knew I wouldn't be able to check in online and print a boarding pass once we were in Poland, and BA don't have check in machines at KRK.

We had a nice sweet muffin on our flight home but there was nothing sweet on the outward flight, only the croissant sandwich.
Louise

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

The Thomson Dreamliner reg. G-TUIB flight TOM4763 from Larnaca to LGW diverted to LHR due to runway closure at Gatwick 'caused by hole'.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Comet

Post by Comet »

quixoticguide wrote:The Thomson Dreamliner reg. G-TUIB flight TOM4763 from Larnaca to LGW diverted to LHR due to runway closure at Gatwick 'caused by hole'.
Thanks for that information :mrgreen: I was wondering why it was there. Nice to be in the right place at the right time to bag that visitor!
Louise

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Very informative review, good job !

Comet

Post by Comet »

Shengenzone wrote:Very informative review, good job !
Thank you :mrgreen:
Louise

b720

Post by b720 »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

... ( no Muslims it seems what puts the recent wave in another light.. off the record ;) ) ...

CXB
Cathay, Your " off the record " statement is offensive.. It is neither appropriate on this forum, nor elsewhere..

And Comet, thanks for the very nice report..

Comet

Post by Comet »

b720 wrote: And Comet, thanks for the very nice report..
Thank you b720. I shall start preparing my return report soon.
Louise

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
Not meant to be offensive, just to point out about the main focus is on muslims in europe nowadays and the polish are really beaten up in the UK right now, quite a difference,..
Don't see more in this than what I meant to say,..
I can hardly see terrorists as muslims,.. They are just bad, ....
If you see this inappropiate ,... Sorry wasn't meant to be at all,..

CXB

Comet

Post by Comet »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
Not meant to be offensive, just to point out about the main focus is on muslims in europe nowadays and the polish are really beaten up in the UK right now, quite a difference,..
Don't see more in this than what I meant to say,..
I can hardly see terrorists as muslims,.. They are just bad, ....
If you see this inappropiate ,... Sorry wasn't meant to be at all,..

CXB
None of what you said had any relevance to a flight report. I wasn't offended, I saw your comments as completely irrelevant to a report about LHR-KRK. If you want to express anti-British views then this is not the place to do so.
Louise

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Moderator -wtf- delete all my comments ,..
Seems they all misunderstood,..
Have no anti British feelings at all !
Was just shocked by the wave of anti Polish people and the attacks to them in UK ...
Was on the radio1 here in Belgium , this related to your post about poland ...
Didn't expect these actions against a group of european citizins in a (non europe ) but neighbour country in a time of terror by another group ... I condemn both actions and terror,..
This could be politics in aviation maybe,.. I call it life as politics and these actions do have a real impact in aviation ! More polish more uk flights, more terror less pax,...
Hope I made myself clear now about what I meant,..
Cxb

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ladies and gentlemen, take a deep breath and relax. Nobody didn't want to offend anybody.

And now let's go back to aviation. E.g. by posting the report of your return trip, Louise. :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
And now let's go back to aviation. E.g. by posting the report of your return trip, Louise. :)
Will try and get the return report posted this week Andre. I am back at work tomorrow so I don't have as much time to get it sorted, hopefully I can post it on Thursday though :mrgreen:
Louise