Brussels-Dublin & return with Aer Lingus

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

Brussels-Dublin & return with Aer Lingus

Post by sn26567 »

1. Introduction

My previous trip to Dublin was with Ryanair (see trip report https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55585). I thus wanted to compare with its main competitor (and former subsidiary for 30%), Aer Lingus, now part of the IAG Group.

No problems to enter the airport. 1-2 minutes at the car control (it was a peek hour), nobody to stop me at the pre-check, where I did not even have to show my ticket: everybody could go in apparently.
EI631 to Dublin for me today
EI631 to Dublin for me today
IMG_3223.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 3707 times
Again 2-3 minutes at the hand baggage and body scanning in the Connector. Then to Pier B (Ireland is not Schengen) where for the first time my ID card was checked electronically (with a few police around to help people with problems: the electronic check is not very fast, to say the least).

The gate was not yet announced: a way to make you spend time in the shopping area! And finally I proceeded to gate B32 where the Aer Lingus A320 was already waiting. I could board almost immediately.
Airbus A320 EI-DVK at Gate B32
Airbus A320 EI-DVK at Gate B32
IMG_3224.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Time for boarding
Time for boarding
IMG_3225.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
2. Brussels-Dublin

Flight: Aer Lingus EI631
Date : 21 June 2016
Aircraft: A320 EI-DVK
From-To: Brussels - Dublin (BRU-DUB)
Seat: 14A (window, above wing)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 10:05/10:14 (GMT+2)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 10:50/11:08 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 45 min/1 hr 54 min

With a 60% load factor I had 2 free seats next to me. Boarding was completed and doors closed 10 minutes before STD, but we were slightly delayed by ATC.

Take-off from 25R, just behind the Ryanair flight with the same destination, due to depart at 09:50. B

Behind us was an Aviolet B733 operating the Belgrade flight on behalf of Air Serbia.
This Aviolet Boeing 737-300 YU-ANK was operating the flight to Belgrade for Air Serbia, taking off just behind us
This Aviolet Boeing 737-300 YU-ANK was operating the flight to Belgrade for Air Serbia, taking off just behind us
IMG_3226.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
I had pre-ordered an Irish breakfast and printed the voucher to obtain it. I was not disappointed:
I had pre-ordered a hot Irish breakfast, my sole meal for the day...
I had pre-ordered a hot Irish breakfast, my sole meal for the day...
IMG_3227.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Breakfast: Orange juice, wholewheat bread and butter, orange marmelade, sausages, hash brown, black and white pudding and tomato. Delicious!
Breakfast: Orange juice, wholewheat bread and butter, orange marmelade, sausages, hash brown, black and white pudding and tomato. Delicious!
IMG_3228.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Ryanair has Lavazza, Aer Lingus has Java Republic: excellent coffee!
Ryanair has Lavazza, Aer Lingus has Java Republic: excellent coffee!
IMG_3229.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Cruising at FL380
Cruising at FL380
IMG_3230.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
After an hour and three quarters we arrived at Dublin.
Ferry crossing the Irish Sea
Ferry crossing the Irish Sea
IMG_3231.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
On short approach
On short approach
IMG_3234.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Landing on runway 28 and then waiting 15 minutes for a gate to become available. It would be gate 410 in Terminal 2.
While waiting for a gate to become available, a BA CityFlier E170 ready to depart to London City
While waiting for a gate to become available, a BA CityFlier E170 ready to depart to London City
IMG_3238.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Arriving at gate together with sister aircraft Green Spirit promoting the Irish Rugby Team
Arriving at gate together with sister aircraft Green Spirit promoting the Irish Rugby Team
IMG_3240.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Our aircraft at gate 410, terminal 2
Our aircraft at gate 410, terminal 2
IMG_3241.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
And strangely enough, people could disembark from both doors: the front door to a jet bridge and the aft door through the stairs to the tarmac and other stairs in the terminal building. Quick ID check by border police, and then the bus to the city.
Itinerary EI631 on 21.06.2016
Itinerary EI631 on 21.06.2016
Capture d'écran 2016-06-22 15.40.55.png.jpg (358.52 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
3. Dublin-Brussels

After a full day in Dublin, I somewhat miscalculated my return to the airport, where my bus arrived barely 20 minutes before the STD. After a run through the terminal, a difficult baggage check and body search, I finally arrived at gate 419 5 minutes before the STD. Only to see that the flight was delayed by 30 minutes and the incoming plane was not yet present.
Back at the airport, to see my flight delayed...
Back at the airport, to see my flight delayed...
IMG_3278.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
The incoming aircraft (from Geneva) arrived at 18:20, much too late to allow for a departure announced at 18:30.
Incoming flight from Geneva (Airbus A320 EI-EZW) at gate 419 at 18:30, so no chance to leave with only 30 minutes delay
Incoming flight from Geneva (Airbus A320 EI-EZW) at gate 419 at 18:30, so no chance to leave with only 30 minutes delay
IMG_3279.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
Again next to Green Spirit!
Again next to Green Spirit!
IMG_3280.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
In fact, it was at 19:10 that it could finally push back.

Flight: Aer Lingus EI638
Date : 21 June 2016
Aircraft: A320 EI-EZW
From-To: Dublin - Brussels (DUB-BRU)
Seat: 8A (window)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 18:00/19:10 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 20:35/22:07 (GMT+2)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 35 min/1 hr 57 min

Full plane (100%). After push-back we proceeded to Runway 28, where we were held up for 30 minutes. The pilot announced the arrival of a VIP plane for which all traffic was stopped. I could take a picture of which was no less than Air Force Two!
Waiting for 30 minutes before runway 28...
Waiting for 30 minutes before runway 28...
IMG_3281.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
The reason for the delay: Air Force Two landing with U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden and his daughter Ashley !
The reason for the delay: Air Force Two landing with U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden and his daughter Ashley !
IMG_3282.JPG (819.81 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
Here they were disembarking from Air Force Two (Picture from The Irish Independent)
Here they were disembarking from Air Force Two (Picture from The Irish Independent)
biden .jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
After the dust was settled, we could finally take off. With a nice view of the airfield.
Shortly after take=off: Dublin Airport and its two runways 10/28 and 16/34
Shortly after take=off: Dublin Airport and its two runways 10/28 and 16/34
IMG_3284.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
The crew was friendly, but quite inefficient. It took until the Belgian Coast before I could get a sandwich and a beer (they offered me a Heineken, but after I said I wanted a real beer, they came up with a Stella Artois).

The rest of the trip was uneventful. Landing on 25L in Brussels before docking somewhere at Pier B.
Itinerary EI638 on 21.06.2016
Itinerary EI638 on 21.06.2016
Capture d'écran 2016-06-23 17.56.48.png.jpg (370.78 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
André
ex Sabena #26567

TheFlyingSultan

Re: Brussels-Dublin & return with Aer Lingus

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

Hello André,

Good to read your story on Aer Lingus to and from DUB, a route that I’ve also taken many times. Nice to see BRU back to almost normal, you went through all the checks without any delay :thumbup:

Brekkie on EI looks nice although only 1 slice of bread?

On the return you seemed very lucky with the delay, otherwise you might’ve found yourself stuck and looking for the next flight home. Had that once too in BRU, due to my train being 5 mins late, I missed the connection in Mechelen and was too late at the airport. Luckily my flight to MXP on EZY was delayed 1h too :)

TFS

Stij

Post by Stij »

André, nice trip report!!!
sn26567 wrote:After a full day in Dublin, I somewhat miscalculated my return to the airport, where my bus arrived barely 20 minutes before the STD. After a run through the terminal, a difficult baggage check and body search, I finally arrived at gate 419 5 minutes before the STD. Only to see that the flight was delayed by 30 minutes and the incoming plane was not yet present.
Then you fly enough, sooner or later this happens!

when I commuted to London, I sometimes flew BMI, and sometimes BA and always returned with the last flight. BA's last flight was an hour before BMI's last flight: Yup, I was booked on the BA, and had the BMI schedule in mind.
The rest you can imagine...

Cheers,

Stij

convair

Post by convair »

Nice report and pictures indeed André!

You seem marked by the March events: for both legs of your trip you mention 21 March although you clearly traveled on June 21! ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Oops! Indeed. I correct right away.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Nice report, André ! The transit time from downtown Dublin to the airport can sometimes be longer than expected due to the trafic, and also the time difference between Brussels and Dublin can add some confusion when on a daytrip...
An alternative to the onboard breakfast is having a buffet breakfast at Kylemore's just in from of the Spire in downtown Dublin, where the shuttle bus from the airport make a stop.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TheFlyingSultan wrote:Nice to see BRU back to almost normal, you went through all the checks without any delay :thumbup:
I would say everything is back to normal at BRU, and I can't understand people making big efforts and spending a lot of time and money to go to alternative airports abroad.
TheFlyingSultan wrote:Brekkie on EI looks nice although only 1 slice of bread?
No, two slices, of a hearty bread. I certainly didn't feeel hungry after that, and I did not eat anymore before my return flight.
TheFlyingSultan wrote:TFS
Tenerife South, Canary Islands?
Stij wrote:Then you fly enough, sooner or later this happens!
But this time I had exaggerated: the Old Jameson Distillery, followed by the Guinness brewery. In both, extensive tasting! I might have abused, which confused my mind.
airtrainer wrote:Nice report, André ! The transit time from downtown Dublin to the airport can sometimes be longer than expected due to the trafic, and also the time difference between Brussels and Dublin can add some confusion when on a daytrip...
The confusion resulted from other circumstances (see above) ;)
airtrainer wrote:An alternative to the onboard breakfast is having a buffet breakfast at Kylemore's just in from of the Spire in downtown Dublin, where the shuttle bus from the airport make a stop.
Well, I had breakfast on the outbound flight, and certainly didn't have enough time to get a meal before the return flight... :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote:But this time I had exaggerated: the Old Jameson Distillery, followed by the Guinness brewery. In both, extensive tasting! I might have abused, which confused my mind.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Thanks for sharing this nice report. I appreciated your pics regarding the "green spirit rugby" aircraft of Aer Lingus... and also the info regarding the irish breakfast... looks tasty!
Btw, what are EI/FR respective market shares on the BRU (& CRL) - DUB route? What would be your choice, flying again to DUB?
Any chance to see brussels airlines flying this route in the future... just as KLM will do from AMS?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Btw, what are EI/FR respective market shares on the BRU (& CRL) - DUB route? What would be your choice, flying again to DUB?
Any chance to see brussels airlines flying this route in the future... just as KLM will do from AMS?
I flew both Ryanair and Aer Lingus on the route. I don't know their respective market shares, but the load factors on my flights were comparable. My choice would be EI: although a little more expensive, they are somewhat more comfortable (larger seat width and legroom).

Sabena flew the route in the past, in codeshare with EI. It should be possible for Brussels Airlines to do the same (although they are in different alliances, but this is also the case for the EI/KL codeshare).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Great report André ! Very happy you didn't miss your flight.
I feel like they have become very easy with the security checks in Brussels.
Will the tents stay at Brussels airport ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Shengenzone wrote: Will the tents stay at Brussels airport ?
Definitely not. Let's wait for the future design of the departure zone.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

sn26567 wrote:
Shengenzone wrote: Will the tents stay at Brussels airport ?
Definitely not. Let's wait for the future design of the departure zone.
Thank you for the info André
I hope a new Kiss and fly will be made because with the hight restrictions in P1 & P2 of 1M90 andP3 with 2m10, it gives a lott of problems for the taxicompanies who use minivans like the mercedes sprinter...

TheFlyingSultan

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:Nice to see BRU back to almost normal, you went through all the checks without any delay :thumbup:
I would say everything is back to normal at BRU, and I can't understand people making big efforts and spending a lot of time and money to go to alternative airports abroad.
Me neither!
sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:TFS
Tenerife South, Canary Islands?
Ha ha didn't think of that yet!

The FlyingSultan

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Great report! I fly this route very often with both airlines.
Interestingly Aer Lingus are changing their schedule for the first time in many many years, so that the evening flight time matches the Ryanair schedule (>1 hour earlier). I will still prefer Ryanair though, less risk of delays.

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

Another great report André

I did AMS-DUB and DUB-AGP with EI and pretty much had the same expercience as you.
DUB-AGP was on the A330, wich was a nice expercience as well.

here is the vid of my AMS-DUB flight