Brussels - Bilbao R/T Brussels Airlines A319

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Duke

Brussels - Bilbao R/T Brussels Airlines A319

Post by Duke »

Hi,
My wife and I did a return flight Brussels-Bilbao (SN 3713 on September 10th 2015 - SN 3714 on September 13th 2015).
I don't have the time to write a full trip report, didn't make any pictures, let alone a video, but here are some observations.
Both flights were operated by OO-SSM.
At the gate in Brussels suddenly our boarding passes were changed, instead of the previously assigned seats 16 A and B, we were given seats 23 B and 24 E. So, two middle seats in the back of the plane, and not on the same row, so my wife and I had to sit separately.
Not one word of explanation, it just happened at the entrance of the gate.
Inside the plane, I asked an explanation of the sudden change of seats, and I was told the flight was overbooked... Not one seat was free indeed, but luckily, two people were kind enough to change seats so we could sit together..
The flight left the gate with about 50 minutes delay.
During the whole flight not one word from the flight deck, not an excuse or an explanation about the delay, not a word about the routing.
At the start of the gate, the screens above the seats went down, but immediately they went up again, not to be used during the whole flight.
As the flight was around noon, I expected to be able to buy something to eat... By the time the flight attendant got to our row, there was nothing left to buy, only a browney.. all the sandwiches were sold...
The return flight was a bit better.
We could keep our preassigned seats although the plane was again full. There was enough food (we were sitting in the middle of the plane now with a window seat), the flight was on time (even ahead of schedule), and we had some welcome words from the flight deck at the start of the flight. Also, upon arrival in Brussels, info about connecting flights was given; I was surprised to see how many passengers were taking a connecting flight, to various European destinations.
So, my conclusion : Brussels Airlines seems to be doing well in passenger numbers (both flights were full), but nothing is done to make the flight enjoyable (no use of the inflight entertainment or moving maps on the screens, limited food and drinks, nothing is free, not even water, limited information from the flight deck). Brussels Airlines is setting itself in the market as a rather cheap, quite efficient airline (although with some delays), but not much effort is done to give some extra to the passengers.
Best regards,

Duke

OO-ITR

Re: Brussels - Bilbao R/T Brussels Airlines A319

Post by OO-ITR »

Dear Duke

Feel free to send your feedback to Brussels Airlines by using the feedback/complaint form on the website :
www.brusselsairlines.com
then click on Contact us (at the bottom of the page).

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Thanks for the trip report, seems to be growing trend with Brussels Airlines these days. I've been on the wrong end of some seats changes as well, mostly to be an issue with the 4 class seating when they have to move blight pax sitting in flex seats etc, can be very annoying. I also agree with punctuality that seems to have taken a dive recently.

Also my advice is to Tweet them as it happens as they seem to respond quicker, I guess the complaints are a bit more public and take higher priority.

Rgds,
Speedy

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Duke wrote:nothing is free, not even water
Hi Duke, I like to hear the feed back and I thank you for that, however about the food and drink I do not agree because there are different type of service on your aircraft. You decided to book your flight on Light and relax or Check and go this was your own choice. If you really want to have a proper service with food and drink there were the Flex and fast or Bussiness class. So saying Brussels Airlnes doesn't give anything is not true, Brussels Airlines give what passenger ask for (and pay for).

About the lack of food I agree with you as it happen from time to time, SN is working on it. Actually every time someone ask for food and there is not the item anymore, the flight attendant put it on the computer as a discrepancy to make that brussels airlines know what they could have sold to adapt the catering later.

The flight are actually very full this time, I really think it's time to switch from the A319 to the A320 and adding some A321.

Thanks for your report ;)

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

I had the same experience with Brussels Airlines to Bordeaux. Brussels to Bordeaux : cabin crew was just ok, not one word from the cockpit, return flight cabin crew was very friendly and captain was very polite to the passengers. I don't understand that some pilots have difficulties to say THANK YOU to their pax. (= customers = salary for them)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passengers considered as "guests"?

"We go the extra smile"?

Come on, SN, a little effort please.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

As with every airliner: a lot depends on the crew... a smile doesn't cost a thing...

The reseating thing however always feels really bad especially when travelling with a group or family. I really really hate it. Even when travelling alone: you select a window seat in the front during online check in and then you get the middle seat on the last row.

In other words: I understand your frustration.

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

And also, when departing about one hour late, the minimum would be to give some explanation other than "for operational reasons" ! I realise that the crew don't always know the reasons, but a call to the operations centre would quickly give the answer.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Crosswind

Post by Crosswind »

sn26567 wrote:[...]but a call to the operations centre would quickly give the answer.
No. As simple as it is : no.

We, as crew, are far away to be informed about what happened exactly to lead to a given delay.

Fact.

Consequences ? Say anything : congestion, pax missing with bags, ATC, Weather, handling... Whatever, it will be part of true.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

A crew in any airlines always know the reason, but sometimes it's better to say "operational reason" in order do not stress the passenger, it's better to avoid to say everything, mainly when it's related to a technical issue. Sometimes it happen that we don't know the reason for example if the crew is on layover taking over an aircraft which arrived late on outstation, in this case we say the truth, "due to the late arrival of the aircraft"

kimdaenen

Post by kimdaenen »

Hi Duke,

I'm very sorry to read this and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused during your flight with us. We do our utmost to limit last minute seat changes as much as possible, but unfortunately we have no other choice in certain cases. The communication to our passengers is one of our biggest priorities, and I truly regret you weren't informed properly during your flight. I'll make sure to report your feedback regarding the communication at the gate and on board of the plane, and regarding the fact there wasn't sufficient food on board.

Kind regards,
Kim Daenen
Brussels Airlines
Kim Daenen
Social Media Manager
Brussels Airlines
Connect with us on Facebook or Twitter

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Big brother is watching :roll:

Apart from that: no bashing :) do you see that? It is possible