SAS HAM CPH CRJ 900

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
TheFlyingSultan

SAS HAM CPH CRJ 900

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

Summer greetings fellow aviators and welcome!

Introduction

Here’s a trip report on one of my favourite tail-engined jets, the CRJ-900 series of Bombardier. I do not only find them good looking but also the cabin comfort and large windows are appreciated. Sure there’s the higher noise level in the back of the cabin - obviously caused by the presence of the engines - but on short flights this is not an issue for me. A set of perfect fitting earplugs is an essential part of my travel gear.

I’ve flown this plane type a few times before, on Estonian Air, Eurowings, SAS and now this one on Cimber (which is technically speaking also SAS). There are other variants in this family, the CRJ-1000 or CRK (logged last year with HOP!) and the CRJ-700 (which to my knowledge isn’t active anymore in Europe, correct me if I’m wrong :)).

Without further ado, herre’s the route (thanks to Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L Schwartz).

HAM

Just minutes ago I stepped of a VLM Airlines F50, coming from ANR. With a self scheduled connecting time of only 35 mins, I powerwalk my way from the bus arrivals area to the departure gate for the next flight. Luckily HAM is an efficient airport for connecting flights as there’s no extra security screening when flying intra-Schengen and also the walking distances are not too long. The gate area is on ground level, obviously we’ll be driven to the aircraft by bus. Boarding conveniently starts just as I make my way down the stairs. With no time to wait I board the former public bus. Next to me sits a family with small children, the son has about the age of my own son and is full of excitement on the happenings and surroundings. I cannot withhold a big smile... :)
The bus drives off and we’re treated to a free apron tour! The ride lasts only a few mins or so and as always when disembarking the bus, everyone wants to get on first - but me :mrgreen:

HAM to CPH
SK 646
CRJ-900 OY-KFM ‘Fafner Viking’
STD-STA 9:25-10:15
seat 23A

On board flight SK 646

I take my time on the apron to absorb as much fresh A1 as possible ans make my way onboard the integrated stairs as one of the last pax. The FA at the door acknowledges my presence with an undercooled ‘welcome’ and I make my way to the before last row in the cabin. A 2nd bus load of pax joins us and in the end the total load is 3 quarter full. The seats next and behind me remain empty :thumbup:

The preflight checks are carried out by the crew and after a nice and short welcome by the man behind the wheel, we taxi off under our own power towards runway 33. There’s an endless wait at the threshold before the vacuum cleaners finally spool up and after an unremarkable takeoff run, we’re airborne. On the way to HAM, the cloud layer proved low and dense and that has not changed, we’re above the murk in just a matter of seconds. We level off and the crew is released for the service. Well, service... we only recive a tiny piece of mint chocolate, sans drinks. Understandably for a flight of this length.

The cruise phase of the flight is short. The nearer we come to Denmark, the more the clouds dissolve and when the captain comes on the blower to announce our landing in CPH, the skies are clear. As such, the descent into CPH is a memorable one, so scenic!

Eventually, we land on runway 22L 15 minutes ahead of schedule and taxi to a gate at pier A. Deboarding is again via the planes own stairs and after that it’s a few steps into the terminal building.

Conclusion

Thank you SAS for a punctual and scenic flight. The lack of a drinks run - coffee and tea are free on SAS - didn’t bother me. The FA’s did the job but nothing more than that. All in all, your typical SAS flight!

Here’s the full video of this short hop:

TheFlyingSultan

BAAV

Re: SAS HAM CPH CRJ 900

Post by BAAV »

thanks for your report!

Fyi, Adria still has a CRJ700 and one 200, the rest are 900s, not sure why that is

as to comfort it is indeed nice if nobody is sitting next to you but if two tall people sit next to each other it is very cramped. I had it last week but fortunately the purser saw our predicament and my neighbour could move to row two just before takeoff

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for another nice new report, Sultan.

So this was your first visit to HAM? Nice airport indeed: the gateway to the Airbus plant where a group of Luchtzak avgeeks landed a couple of years ago.

A good apron tour in an old-fashioned but comfortable bus. You wrote that the CR9 was a Cimber aircraft, but it's all painted in SAS colours! It is a comfortable plane indeed (I used the Estonian one recently) and I didn't feel cramped like BAAV suggests here above.

And by the way, nice views of the Baltic before landing at CPH, the place where I met with you ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

TheFlyingSultan

BAAV wrote:thanks for your report!
No problem BAAV, glad you enjoyed.
BAAV wrote:Fyi, Adria still has a CRJ700
Ah, OK, so still 1 at least flying around Europe. Lufthansa has ditched theirs a while ago already.
BAAV wrote:as to comfort it is indeed nice if nobody is sitting next to you but if two tall people sit next to each other it is very cramped
Nobody next to you is indeed the way to go but tbh I never felt cramped when having someone next to me either - try that on an ATR or so ;)
sn26567 wrote:Thanks for another nice new report, Sultan.
Hi André, thanks for you reply!
sn26567 wrote:So this was your first visit to HAM? Nice airport indeed: the gateway to the Airbus plant where a group of Luchtzak avgeeks landed a couple of years ago.
My first time there indeed. A likeable airport and easy for transfering, me like!
sn26567 wrote:You wrote that the CR9 was a Cimber aircraft, but it's all painted in SAS colours!
It’s rather the other way around, a SAS aircraft painted in SAS colours but operated by Cimber Air.
sn26567 wrote:It is a comfortable plane indeed (I used the Estonian one recently) and I didn't feel cramped like BAAV suggests here above.

I agree with you in full.
sn26567 wrote:And by the way, nice views of the Baltic before landing at CPH, the place where I met with you ;)

I remember very well, a nice day in March that was!

TheFlyingSultan

Reg E S Potter

Post by Reg E S Potter »

CRJ700's are still operated by HOP (Brit Air) who have 12 or 13, if memory serves.

TheFlyingSultan

Reg E S Potter wrote:CRJ700's are still operated by HOP (Brit Air) who have 12 or 13, if memory serves.

Of course, how could I forget! Brit Air have 13 examples flying.

TheFlyingSultan