[Trip Report] A flight to SN's new destination Dubrovnik

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

[Trip Report] A flight to SN's new destination Dubrovnik

Post by sn26567 »

1. Introduction

Going to a tour of Montenegro during one week, our group of 18 had selected Brussels Airlines to Dubrovnik (which is in Croatia, but close to the border of Montenegro), a nice opportunity to test that new destination in its portfolio.

Arrival at the airport two hours in advance. The first thing I saw on the blackboard was that the flight was delayed by 45 minutes. A few minutes later I got confirmation of the delay through an SMS sent by Brussels Airlines: nice gesture to apologise.
Message announcing delay
Message announcing delay
I later got the explanation: the planned A319 aircraft was OO-SSG, but this aircraft was blocked in Naples, from where it departed with four hours delay. We thus had to wait for an alternative aircraft to arrive in Brussels, and the first opportunity was with a flight from Seville with OO-SSE, which anyway would arrive too late for an on-time departure.

I had already checked in on Internet, but this time, I had more than hand baggage and I experimented for the first time the automated baggage-labelling machines at the check-in counters: you first scan the QR code on your boarding pass, the machine asks for your agreement (is it the correct flight and the right person), prints your label: you have to peel it, apply it to your bag, print your receipt and send your bag to the baggage band.
Self service baggage labelling
Self service baggage labelling
Quite simple, but the first time always takes much longer!

And then to the passport control of Terminal B (Croatia is in the EU, but not yet in the Schengen zone), and through the body and handbag scanning to the newly assigned Gate 05 (my boarding pass uploaded the previous day said B10). A lot of time for spotting...
Egyptair to Cairo was more than one hour late. No surprise...
Egyptair to Cairo was more than one hour late. No surprise...
EuroAtlantic Boeing 767 operating on behalf of Jetairfly to Djerba and Enfidha
EuroAtlantic Boeing 767 operating on behalf of Jetairfly to Djerba and Enfidha
The flight was still announced 45 minutes late, and that increased to 55 minutes when it was time to board. Interestingly, a Jetairfly E190 flight scheduled to depart at 17:30 (thus 25 minutes before our scheduled time) was exactly on time.
Also 45 minutes delay at the gate
Also 45 minutes delay at the gate
Meanwhile, the incoming flight arrived at 18:10 at gate B05 and passengers coming from Seville were transferred by bus to Schengen Terminal A. The turnaround would last exactly 45 minutes.
A319 OO-SSE, inbound from Seville, would be our plane, replacing OO-SSG which was stuck in Naples
A319 OO-SSE, inbound from Seville, would be our plane, replacing OO-SSG which was stuck in Naples
2. Flight SN3351 BRU-DBV

Flight: Brussels Airlines SN3351 (codeshared with UA7256)
Date: 30 May 2015
Aircraft: A319 OO-SSE
From-To: Brussels-Dubrovnik (BRU-DBV)
Seat: 5F
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 17:55/18:50 (GMT+2)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 20:15/20:52 (GMT+2)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 2 hr 20 min/2 hr 02 min

Friendly greeting by the purser. One row for C class was empty, two rows for economy flex were half full. I was (with many other passengers) in the light&relax section which was pretty full. Not sure how many people were in the lowest travel class at the back.

Boarding was completed rapidly and the plane pushed back with 55 minutes delay. Due to works on Runway 25L, unusual take-off from Runway 19.

Waiting at the airport had made me thirsty and hungry, hence I ordered a Stella Artois (33cl, the real thing from Leuven, unlike on easyJet) and a Panos Brie sandwich. But the billing equipment failed to accept my Brussels Airlines Amex card, for which the crew apologised confusedly.
Snack: a Stella Artois (the real stuff) and a Panos Brie sandwich
Snack: a Stella Artois (the real stuff) and a Panos Brie sandwich
The rest of the flight occurred without further problems at FL350, although I couldn't see anything on the ground because of a steady haze. The pilot was able to make up some of the delay.
Descent towards Dubrovnik at sunset
Descent towards Dubrovnik at sunset
The itinerary was very close to the great circle
The itinerary was very close to the great circle
Capture plein écran 31052015 215621.bmp.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
3. Dubrovnik

Landing at Dubrovnik on Runway 12. Nice little modern airport, but we had to be bussed to the terminal. Passport control was quick and other bus was waiting to take me to Herceg Novi, our first stop in Montenegro.
Disembarking at Dubrovnik
Disembarking at Dubrovnik
To border control for international flights
To border control for international flights
Waiting at the baggage belts
Waiting at the baggage belts
Just for the story, Croatia and Montenegro used to be part of the same country, Yugoslavia. Now there are two huge border control buildings on the road at 1 km distance from each other. Croatia is in the EU, but still uses its own currency. Montenegro is not in the EU, but has the Euro as its official currency!

Did you say "Contrasts"?
André
ex Sabena #26567

YYZ727

Re: A flight to SN's new destination Dubrovnik

Post by YYZ727 »

A lot of time for spotting...

IMG_9528.JPGEgyptair to Cairo was more than one hour late. No surprise...
I remember Egyptair flying to BRU with their 747-300's... Sad to see them using a babybus nowadays....

TheFlyingSultan

Re: [Trip Report] A flight to SN's new destination Dubrovnik

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

Hey André,

What a good idea to test/fly this new SN destination - I thought it was a seasonal one, right? Any idea what happened in Naples with your scheduled plane going tech or whatnot?
For the rest it seemed like your standard SN flight althoug the takeoff from runway 19 provided a nice change of habits. The works on 25L/7R take quite a while I read.

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TheFlyingSultan wrote:I thought it was a seasonal one, right?
I think indeed that DBV is a seasonal destination. I guess it may count on many bookings through Thomas Cook
(since Jetairfly is flying a similar seasonal route on its own with an E190).
TheFlyingSultan wrote:Any idea what happened in Naples with your scheduled plane going tech or what not?
Still no idea. The outbound flight to NAP was on time. Maybe an SN insider can help?
TheFlyingSultan wrote:For the rest it seemed like your standard SN flight although the takeoff from runway 19 provided a nice change of habits. The works on 25L/7R take quite a while I read.
Yes, I like to take off on 19, especially when I sit on the right of the plane, which was the case.

Anybody who could tell me the reg of the return flight SN3352 on 6 June?
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

the NAP-BRU flight was delayed due to operational difficulties at the airport
sn26567 wrote:
Anybody who could tell me the reg of the return flight SN3352 on 6 June?

OO-SSG is scheduled
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks CTBke
André
ex Sabena #26567

an-148

Post by an-148 »

sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:I thought it was a seasonal one, right?
I think indeed that DBV is a seasonal destination. I guess it may count on many bookings through Thomas Cook
(since Jetairfly is flying a similar seasonal route on its own with an E190).
Thomas Cook is also flying to DBV with own iron ;)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

and there's only one hour difference between the two flights SN leaves one hour before HQ.
Citybird
The flying dream

an-148

Post by an-148 »

CTBke wrote:and there's only one hour difference between the two flights SN leaves one hour before HQ.
exact

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:Any idea what happened in Naples with your scheduled plane going tech or what not?
Still no idea. The outbound flight to NAP was on time. Maybe an SN insider can help?
The aircraft was severely delayed because it was damaged on the ground during the turn around.

Now, for my return flight tomorrow (SN3352), there is no way to check-in online from Dubrovnik.How can I secure a window seat???
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Nice report Andre - that Panos sandwich looks good!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

go early to the airport to get a window seat at check in, as it's a new destination it's not yet possible to check in online.
Citybird
The flying dream

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Comet wrote:Nice report Andre - that Panos sandwich looks good!
Yes they are, you need to try the Belgian meat ball too, it's yummy yummy :-)

Comet

Post by Comet »

crew1990 wrote:
Comet wrote:Nice report Andre - that Panos sandwich looks good!
Yes they are, you need to try the Belgian meat ball too, it's yummy yummy :-)
Never had a meatball sandwich before :mrgreen:

This is what I usually have in Panos (there is a nice chocolate one as well but I couldn't find a photo) http://www.panos.be/nl/producten/goeien ... 0blueberry

I would be very happy if I could have one on my next SN flight :mrgreen:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise