VLM Airlines, New And Improved! ANR-GVA

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
TheFlyingSultan

VLM Airlines, New And Improved! ANR-GVA

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

INTRODUCTION

Hello fellow (frequent) flyers,

A few weeks ago I took the opportunity to try out the resurrected VLM Airlines. As you may know, this airline ceased operations under its own name a few years ago but since Jan this year they are back in business, operating from ANR to GVA, a double daily flight on weekdays operated by the Dutch workhorse F50. Nicknamed the 'Geneva Express', this is the 1st route that comes back (they operated to GVA also in the past) and by now a bunch of new routes from Belgium have been announced as well: from ANR to HAM and SOU and also from LGG to AVN, BLQ, NCE and VCE. I'm most happy to see this airline back in the skies and operating from my home airport ANR :)

So, for a bargain € 39 I bought myself a one way ticket to GVA and what you'll find below is a report in video format from this very flight.

But first, let's draw a line on the map (courtesy of Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L Schwartz).

As already mentioned I live very close to ANR and that very morning, I take the 1st public bus out to the airport which conveniently stops almost in front of my doorstep. 20 mins later I arrive at the airport with ample time to spare.

ANR

No OLCI with VLM Airlines yet so I manually check in at the desk where the kind agent blocks the seat next to me on her own account. "You'll have more space sir and the plane isn't full anyway" That's a good start :thumbup:

As ANR is obviously very small it virtually takes no time to clear security and a short while later I'm in the airside waiting area. The flight is called for boarding and as there are no gate bridges in ANR, I leisurely walk to my plane over the apron. Ah, nothing like the smell of fresh A1 in the morning :mrgreen:

ANR to GVA
VG 121
Fokker 50 OO-VLF
STD-STA 07h15-08h50
Y class
seat 10A

ON BOARD FLIGHT VG 121

A warm welcome onboard by the sole female FA and I settle down in my seat 10A. The load is light, I count 11 pax. After the usual announcements, the props are fired to life and we taxi out for a runway 29 departure.

We takeoff in the murky Antwerp skies and when the seat belt sign is extinguished, the trolley comes out for the breakfast service. I'm glad VLM still delivers excellent service on that aspect, the croissant, fruits and tea are all fresh and delivered with a smile.

The remainder of the flight is uneventful and luckily the weather clears up for our arrival into GVA's runway 05. After landing a bit ahead of schedule, we taxi to one of the satellite terminals for disembarking.

VERDICT

VLM certainly didn't lose it imho. I paid peanuts - figure of speech - and got great service in return. In terms of convenience and value for money, this service certainly is a winner for me over the Brussels Airlines and easyJet services from BRU. Too bad ANR will soon be revamping its parking area and make it a paying service. This is/was a certainly also a major advantage over BRU, but I guess with the launch of the Jetairfly flights soon they must be smelling the $$$ lol!

Last but not least, here is the report:

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567

Re: VLM Airlines, New And Improved! ANR-GVA

Post by sn26567 »

I wonder whether such a good service for peanuts will continue for a long time if there are only 11 pax on a 50-seat aircraft (no wonder the check-in agent could block the seat next to yours! LF 22%). I hope it will, but the bean counters at VLM might have a different opinion.

By the way, nice video! I did like especially the shadow of the propeller on landing.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Thank you for the nice report, FlyingSultan.
The load is light, I count 11 pax.
On what day of the week was this flight?

TheFlyingSultan

Established02 wrote:Thank you for the nice report, FlyingSultan.
The load is light, I count 11 pax.
On what day of the week was this flight?

No problem Established02, glad you enjoyed! Flight was on a Friday. I had a chat with the FA and she told me generally the loads are above 50% so my flight was not representative.
sn26567 wrote:I wonder whether such a good service for peanuts will continue for a long time if there are only 11 pax on a 50-seat aircraft (no wonder the check-in agent could block the seat next to yours! LF 22%). I hope it will, but the bean counters at VLM might have a different opinion.

By the way, nice video! I did like especially the shadow of the propeller on landing.

Thank you André! Yeah - low loads and high service levels - just how we like it. No, seriously, I hope VLM can maintain standards and will have better pax yield.

TheFlyingSultan

Established02

Post by Established02 »

TheFlyingSultan wrote:Flight was on a Friday.
Luckily it was not on a Monday morning!

Other carriers will also face poor loads on a Friday morning.

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Very nice video report, wonderful view on the Alps!

Just curious on how you managed to get such a stable image when filming through the window!
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SpottairBRU wrote:Just curious on how you managed to get such a stable image when filming through the window!
Let me guess, Sultan (and sorry if I take the words out of your mouth): a GoPro fixed on the window?
André
ex Sabena #26567

TheFlyingSultan

SpottairBRU wrote:Very nice video report, wonderful view on the Alps!

Just curious on how you managed to get such a stable image when filming through the window!

Thanks a lot SpottairBRU for your kind words. I use this nifty device on the window:
http://www.pro-mounts.eu/en/pro-mounts- ... mount.html
sn26567 wrote:Let me guess, Sultan (and sorry if I take the words out of your mouth): a GoPro fixed on the window?

Sorry André, no GoPro for me :lol: I film with this funky little thing.

TheFlyingSultan
Last edited by sn26567 on 13 Apr 2015, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link corrected

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TheFlyingSultan wrote:I film with this funky little thing.
Wow! That looks very handy :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

an-148

Post by an-148 »

very nice video !

TheFlyingSultan

an-148 wrote:very nice video !

Thanks a lot an-148 :)

TheFlyingSultan

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Thank you for the "making-off" info, Flying Sultan, some nice and useful material you have there!
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

TheFlyingSultan

SpottairBRU wrote:Thank you for the "making-off" info, Flying Sultan, some nice and useful material you have there!
My pleasure SpottairBRU ;)

TheFlyingSultan