Brussels - Munich - Hong Kong with Lufthansa

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Zorba

Brussels - Munich - Hong Kong with Lufthansa

Post by Zorba »

After using the Brussels Airlines credit card to save miles, and some help of a relative, we accumulated enough miles to book a 'Miles And More bargain'. These bargains change every month but are very interesting: for our flight we had to use 'only' 70.000 miles instead of 105.000 for a return flight to Hong Kong, plus pay the taxes (around €500). Economy class bargains to various destinations are available as well.

Flight: LH2291
Date : 03 feb 2015
Aircraft: Embraer 195 D-AEBP
From-To: Brussels – Munich (BRU-MUC)
Seat: 2A/2D
Scheduled Time of Departure: 17:55
Scheduled Time of Arrival: 19:15
Scheduled Duration of the flight: 1:20
Actual Duration: 00:57

Starting 2015 we have a direct train from Bruges to the airport, so we opted to take the train. Dropped the luggage off at the desk and went to the new Brussels Airlines 'The Loft' business class lounge.

The new lounge is absolutely fantastic: lots of (natural) light and beautiful interior. More than enough choice of food and drinks. Though the lounge is quite large, nearly all seats were occupied. We loved the lounge chairs offering a nice view over the apron.

The flight itself was uneventful, though we did not get a welcome drink (which I normally always appreciate). Business class is 'middle seat free', but since the E195 is 2-2 config, you actually get a free seat and hallway :) The meal was delicious.

Flight: LH730
Date : 03 feb 2015
Aircraft: Airbus A340-600 D-AIHB
From-To: Munich – Hong Kong (MUC-HKG)
Seat: 3H/3K
Scheduled Time of Departure: 22:15
Scheduled Time of Arrival: 16:40
Scheduled Duration of the flight: 11:25
Actual Duration: 10:29

Transfer in Munich was fast, they have automated passport checks for EU citizens which work flawlessly. The Lufthansa Business lounge is nice but the choice of food was rather small, too bad.

It was unsure whether we would get the new Business class seats Lufthansa is currently installing in its fleet, but we were lucky. The old seats really looked dated, so I really looked forward to trying the new seats. Boarding was on time and we were welcomed by a very friendly crew. We first had to pass through First Class which looked absolutely beautiful.

We chose seats 3H and 3K, on the first row of the new business class, as expected. I really like the design of the seats and cabin in general. I prefer this look a lot over the dark wood materials used by EK for example.

This time we did get a welcome drink. I guess it is much easier handing out drinks when Y class passengers don't have to pass through the other cabins.
Pushback was on time, I think. We are on vacation so time is not the issue here. Taxi and de-icing before a smooth take off. Not much engine noise in front, which I liked.

Meals again were of good quality and delicious with lots of choices. The menus are online, if you are interested. (No picture of the main course).

Slept through the rest of the flight and woke up right before breakfast. Early arrival into hazy Hong Kong (as usual) thanks to the tailwind.

We really liked Lufthansa and the transfer in Munich. The new business class is fantastic, very comparable to Brussels Airlines which should be no surprise. Flight attendants were also very friendly and helpful.
Tot hier en verder

sn26567

Re: Brussels - Munich - Hong Kong with Lufthansa

Post by sn26567 »

Although I did not have the chance to fly the new business seats, I also very much appreciated my flight in the LH A340-600 business class from Dubai to Munich last year.

I still find it a shame to ask for more than 500 euros in taxes and fees: the fuel surcharge should be completely eliminated now, with low oil prices.
André
ex Sabena #26567