Stuck on FR 737 in Rome, emergency ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
luchtzak

Stuck on FR 737 in Rome, emergency ?

Post by luchtzak »

SMS from André inside his Ryanair aircraft.
Blocked in FR plane at FCO for more than 2 hrs now because of emergency landing of another plane. Can you find out what happened?

liege-bierset

Re: Stuck on FR 737 in Rome, emergency ?

Post by liege-bierset »

Bomb threat on Fly Niki .

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

La Repubblica reports that one of the passengers noticed a pedometer in the hands of his seatmate and asked what it was. The suspect reportedly answered that was a “remote control to detonate a bomb,” causing panic. The passengers warned the pilot and the suspect again confirmed he had an explosive device in his bag.

The flight commander immediately warned the control tower and parked the plane in an isolated area at the end of runway, ANSA news agency reports.

The suspect was taken by police for questioning while transport safety units and a fire brigade surrounded the aircraft. A security check that was carried out according to standard protocol has found no explosive devices on board, according to AGI news agency.

Rome Fiumicino was temporarily locked down, with only one of its three runways operating for outbound flights and causing major delays. The inbound flights were reportedly being diverted to Ciampino International Airport.

http://rt.com/news/222739-rome-fiumicino-bomb-threat/

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

What is it with people that when they are being asked a routine security question at an airport, they suddenly feel the irresistable need to give the most stupid answer possible?

I hope he or she gets a good fine for doing this and you got at least one round of free refreshments while waiting.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:and you got at least one round of free refreshments while waiting.
You just cant help yourself, can you? :roll:

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:
Inquirer wrote:and you got at least one round of free refreshments while waiting.
You just cant help yourself, can you? :roll:
Help myself to a round a free drinks, is that what you mean :?: :?: :?:

I wasn't even on the plane, you know.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I will write a trip report later.
Inquirer wrote:you got at least one round of free refreshments while waiting.
Before addressing this, I would like to stress that the Brussels-based crew handled the whole situation very professionally. The pilot gave regular updates of the situation, but without ever mentioning a bomb threat (either because he was not told by the tower or because he did not want to create a panic). Passengers were allowed to phone and to leave their seats. The 3 stewards and the lone stewardess stood by their galleys and sold food and drinks to all passengers who wanted it. But Ryanair being Ryanair, nothing is free...! On my side, I asked for a hot cappuccino (hot water was available!) and a bar of Snickers.

This being said, once they had sold a drink to a passenger, it might have been difficult to give other drinks away for free, although fresh water to everybody would have been a nice gesture: in similar cases, Brussels Airlines does it, no questions asked.
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sn26567 wrote:The 3 stewards and the lone stewardess stood by their galleys and sold food and drinks to all passengers who wanted it. But Ryanair being Ryanair, nothing is free...!
According to EU regulation in force here, drinks and snacks should have been provided for free as soon as it became clear the delay was potentially going to be at least 2 hours.
Not sold at a profit; given for absolutely free to everyone.
Ryanair is no exception to the EU regulations.
sn26567 wrote:it might have been difficult to give other drinks away for free, although fresh water to everybody would have been a nice gesture: in similar cases, Brussels Airlines does it, no questions asked.

Abiding by all possible EU reguations is the minimum standard you should expect from any airline you trust your life to when flying. Legally, you shouldn't have been asked to pay for any refreshment while waiting on the ground for so long, period.

On top of all that, selling goods from the trolleys while still parked in outstation is also a violation of fiscal law. 8-)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

It's always advisable to carry a small bottle of water and something to eat when travelling - on any airline and as a rule on any trip even on terra firma.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

tolipanebas wrote:
sn26567 wrote:The 3 stewards and the lone stewardess stood by their galleys and sold food and drinks to all passengers who wanted it. But Ryanair being Ryanair, nothing is free...!
According to EU regulation in force here, drinks and snacks should have been provided for free as soon as it became clear the delay was potentially going to be at least 2 hours.
Not sold at a profit; given for absolutely free to everyone.
Ryanair is no exception to the EU regulations.
sn26567 wrote:it might have been difficult to give other drinks away for free, although fresh water to everybody would have been a nice gesture: in similar cases, Brussels Airlines does it, no questions asked.

Abiding by all possible EU reguations is the minimum standard you should expect from any airline you trust your life to when flying. Legally, you shouldn't have been asked to pay for any refreshment while waiting on the ground for so long, period.

On top of all that, selling goods from the trolleys while still parked in outstation is also a violation of fiscal law. 8-)
First of all it wasnt clear that it was going to last longer than 2 hours.

Secondly it is not a violation of the fiscal law when you pay the relevant taxes owned, which is done as proven by the tax code on every receipt issues when buying something on board.

Thirdly, from the moment the delay lasts longer than 2 hours with that same receipt you can try and claim part of your purchase back depending on what and how much you bought.

That would be all 8-)

White Light

Post by White Light »

The usual boring luchtzak discussion is on again !!!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sean1982 wrote:First of all it wasnt clear that it was going to last longer than 2 hours.
When it is clear to your much improved airline? At 1:59:59? And then what at 2:00:00?
Obviously, still nothing then, because everything was sold out (illegally, btw). :roll:
sean1982 wrote:Secondly it is not a violation of the fiscal law when you pay the relevant taxes owned, which is done as proven by the tax code on every receipt issues when buying something on board.
You really have no clue, do you?
It really shows you fly just regional flights only.
A small hint: when parked at the gate, you are not in flight, so local law applies, not the Irish one...
Where are salestaxes paid on all those drinks and snacks purchased on board again?
And I am sure alcoholic drinks sold by your airline on Italian soil all carried an Italian fiscal seal too, right? ;)
sean1982 wrote:Thirdly, from the moment the delay lasts longer than 2 hours, you can try and claim part of your purchase back depending on what and how much you bought.
The EU regulation is pretty clear to me:
meals and refreshments need to be OFFERED for free, not REIMBURSED later
(and especially not reimbursed depending certain conditions left to the appreciation of the carrier).
(EC) 261/2004, article 9, is pretty easy to understand, I should think?
sean1982 wrote:That would be all 8-)
Indeed, all are violations of EU regulations as well as local (in this case: Italian) fiscal law.
Well done. ;)
Last edited by tolipanebas on 15 Jan 2015, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Actually the taxes ARE paid in italy on flights emerging from italy (as proven by the italian tax seal on the receipt) so the one who hasnt got a clue here would be yourself :D

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

As I pointed out ... We didnt make any errors. The extend of the delay wasnt clear and the taxes owned were paid in italy. I only took you one post btw to call me clueless (eventhough I've been in this profession for 11 years and involved in training) and to call FR's operation "regional" :lol:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:First of all it wasnt clear that it was going to last longer than 2 hours.
Indeed. But from a certain moment (let's say after 1 hour), it was becoming clear to the crew that it was not going end soon. So the crew had to stop selling drinks much earlier, to keep some for free distribution.
sean1982 wrote:Secondly it is not a violation of the fiscal law when you pay the relevant taxes owned, which is done as proven by the tax code on every receipt issues when buying something on board.
Once you have landed, local laws apply. That's why every drink trolley and tax free goods must be sealed before landing, I remember from my IATA training (agree, it was 30 years ago, but the principle hasn't changed).
sean1982 wrote:Thirdly, from the moment the delay lasts longer than 2 hours with that same receipt you can try and claim part of your purchase back depending on what and how much you bought.
Yep. Italian customs are known for their willingness to pay back Irish VAT to Belgian tourists...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sean1982 wrote:As I pointed out ... We didnt make any errors. The extended of the delay wasnt clear and the taxes owned were paid in italy.
As pointed out...
the 2 hour delay needn't have happened already, its likeliness is enough.
meals and refreshments needn't be SOLD, they need to be provided for FREE.
your fiscal interpretation is dead wrong, but on that front you have an excuse there that you are not used to dealing with this matter on a routine basis.
the 2 other cases are definitely very much errors, but of course, if you start every reply with 'we didn't make any errors', then all I can say is: keep up the good work! :roll:

BTW- you could be helpful to André and provide him with the detailed and easy to follow (sic) procedure to claim back all of his expenses he was forced to make because of your airlines uncompliance with EU regulations...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Passenger wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Thirdly, from the moment the delay lasts longer than 2 hours with that same receipt you can try and claim part of your purchase back depending on what and how much you bought.
Yep. Italian customs are known for their willingness to pay back Irish VAT to Belgian tourists...
Compared to the effort to get back the rest of the expenses from ryanair itself, the VAT recuperation is going to be a walk in the park, I am sure. :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Gentlemen, please! I would like to stop the discussion here. Everything that was sold was sold before we were two hours on board. After exactly two hours, the (Belgian) captain told us the the tower would allow him to depart within 25 to 30 minutes (in fact, push-back occurred 10 minutes later), all the garbage was immediately collected, passengers were asked to fasten their seat belts and nothing was sold anymore.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

White Light wrote:The usual boring luchtzak discussion is on again !!!
indeed, I am already sorry I asked about it.... :(

OTOH, it seems my feeling was right and you were entitled to something to drink for free.
All those wasted times reading these posters in the airports does lead to something after all then. :D

Just out of curiosity, André (and also in the hope of bringing back some sense to this discussion), did you not know about this passenger right, or didn't you dare to ask for it because they didn't make the first move? Will you try to claim back the expenses made, or just leave it as is?

I know it's just a few euro, but I find the reason you seem to have to give in to their attitute (i.e. nothing for nothing at Ryanair) a bit to easy, sorry.

They now fly 'on the big routes' too and want to compete directly with full service companies, claiming they have much improved in order to win over passengers, so this was a good time for them to live up to the newly set expectations.

When in Rome, do like the Romans would be a very appropriate phrase to say to them, in this context. ;)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Trying to stay neutral here, but try to get reimbursed form ANY airliner in case of delay or cancellation, they'll almost ALWAYS claim it's act of God...

Busy guy this God!

Cheers,

Stij