787 experiences?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
babolat-blast

787 experiences?

Post by babolat-blast »

Just flew QR's 788 and I'm really disappointed. I'm small and slim (1m67 and 55 kg to give you an idea) and it's the first time that I experienced what it was like to be squeezed in an airplane. They paid so much attention to details (bigger windows, lighting and a way too fancy IFE (didn't have a clue what to do with that second smaller screen/handset (luckily the other passengers in my area also seemed to touch it only once to never touch it again during the whole flight)) that they forgot about the basics. Only the cabin pressure and hydration was much appreciated, that really felt different to me.

Anyone else had the same experience? I've read the 788 was originally designed to have a 2-4-2 seating instead of 3-3-3 almost all airlines go for... That might explain a lot. I wouldn't mind flying it for a day flight in the 3-3-3 configuration, but if I can avoid it for a night flight, I will (even if I had to pay something more).

I'm curious to see if that's the general idea or just my only personal experience.

Please, don't turn this subject in a pro-contra 787 battle, just tell me your experience.
Last edited by babolat-blast on 11 Oct 2014, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Re: 787 experiences?

Post by sn26567 »

Flying the 787 on short- and medium-haul trips (LO, JAF) is a nice experience, even in a 3-3-3 configuration where I always requested a window seat, but I have never flown it long-haul. From what I have heard from other avgeeks, they don't like it long-haul, but maybe they never tried the 2-4-2 configuration which seems to be maintained only at the Japanese operators ANA and JAL.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I will add some info on your comment sn26567,

JAL on B787 was an overall very good experience.
Very roomy 2-4-2, pressure was great, a bit too dry IMO.

I hope that JL keep it 2-4-2, because I wonder about the economics on those long B788 routes. The aircraft feels ridiculously empty, as it carries less pax than FR's B738's in this configuration.
While JL is relatively cheap in Y on returns Europe-Japan generating in Europe (and paid in Euro, cheap Yen helps), they are ridiculously expensive out of Japan and on all premium classes (and very full).
That might make it more sustainable to keep this configuration.

Rival ANA is thinking to reconfigure its international B787's to 3-3-3. NH is more expensive than JL in Y out of Europe.

QR popped up in the search for cheap tickets, but given flight times owed to long detour and 3-3-3 configuration, they were never a viable option. I still went for the slightly more expensive JL tickets.

I've got another 6 longhaul B787 flights planned with JL and around Xmas time I'll try to post detailed TR's and less detailed ones to note the differences.

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

I agree with the 2-4-2 configuration. Though I don't have the experience yet with it, but that seems very reasonable. 3-3-3 is definitely a no go IMO for the long haul, trust me. The second leg of my trip was with a 773 (QR has 3-3-3 on the 773) and the difference was huge (ofcourse the QR 773 economy seat is one of the best in its category, while the QR 788 seat is one of the worst in its category). I really don't understand QR went for 3-3-3, but I guess it's all about the money (but why don't they go for 3-4-3 on the 773 then?). Weird...

capetown

Post by capetown »

I flew QR's 787 early september in business class (DOH-BRU).
QR's 787 business class cabin has the so-called "outward herringbone" layout, in a 1-2-1 setup.
I had a window seat and what I didn't like was the fact that you're sitting in a kind of "diagonal" angle to the window (and the window itself wasn't fully aligned with the seat, forcing me to turn my head in a strange angle to look outside). Maybe it's just me, but it's an unnatural position and I even got a slight nausea-like feeling when taking off. Other issue : the IFE screen : I found it way too big to watch from a small distance.
That being said, the fully flat bed seats themselves are very confortable, and the cabin crew was utmost professional. Food and drinks : outstanding. Nevertheless, I do prefer QR's business class in the 777, and flying the 787 for the first time did not give me the total wow - feeling I had when flying the (EK) A380 for the first time in 2011 ;)

Sai

Post by Sai »

I agree with you babolat-blast...I flew QR and JAF 787 both long-haul...very nice airplane but the 3-3-3 seating in economy downgrades the plane.
I liked the moodlighting, the big windows, humidity and pressure and certainly the fact it was the most 'silent' airplane I flew in.
But as I stated in another topic, related to seating space I would prefer QR 777 above QR 787.
With JAF Long-haul I would prefer the 787 above the 767 as it's better, more modern (IFE, humidity, noise, cleaner,faster,...)
The JAF 787 IFE screens were better and bigger then QR 787 in economy and also there are movies with Dutch subtitles which is nice as sometimes it's hard to have a clear sound with foreign movies with a simple headphone, but that would be something personal.
I guess the 787 is nice if you fly premium economy or business :?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sai wrote:With JAF Long-haul I would prefer the 787 above the 767 as it's better, more modern (IFE, humidity, noise, cleaner,faster,...)
... even if the 767 has a comfortable 2-3-2 seating?
André
ex Sabena #26567

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

sn26567 wrote:
Sai wrote:With JAF Long-haul I would prefer the 787 above the 767 as it's better, more modern (IFE, humidity, noise, cleaner,faster,...)
... even if the 767 has a comfortable 2-3-2 seating?

Sometimes I really wonder whether you are serious or not...