Report of Dream flight offered by Jetairfly to stakeholders

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

Report of Dream flight offered by Jetairfly to stakeholders

Post by sn26567 »

Report of the Dream flight offered by Jetairfly to its stakeholders

Less than one week after the arrival of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner from Seattle, two days after the introduction of commercial flights with that aircraft, Jetairfly had decided to offer a free flight to its stakeholders: travel agents, press, frequent flyers, aviation geeks, etc.
Welcome banner
Welcome banner
Two trips, one from Brussels to Ostend, and one from Ostend to Brussels would enable to accommodate 600 passengers.

Flight: JetairFly JAF 9201 BRU-OST via LGG (Brussels-Ostend via Liège)
Date : 10 DEC 2013
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 reg. OO-JDL
Seat: 5C (aisle) then 5A (window), Premium class
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 10:45/11:20 (GMT + 1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 11:45/12:20 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 0 min / 1 hr 0 min

I arrived at the airport at 08:00, way too early, but I had reckoned with the usual delays on the Brussels Ring road. I was OK, but people coming from the West and the Southwest of Brussels were delayed for more than two hours by an accident and some didn’t make it on time.
Registration desk
Registration desk
Registration
Registration
I checked in among the first at the special Dreamliner desk, there where Jetair customers usually get their beach bag. I was surprised to get a Premium class seat. Behind the normal check-in desks, Jetair had prepared tables for the breakfast of the people leaving to Ostend by coach.
Breakfast for coach travellers
Breakfast for coach travellers
Special flight to Ostend - rather unusual
Special flight to Ostend - rather unusual
Some 300 people would check-in this morning. At Gate A45, another breakfast had been prepared for these travellers.
Breakfast
Breakfast
Boarding started late: Jetair had decided to delay the departure by half an hour to enable latecomers blocked by the accident on the Brussels Ring to arrive. Nice gesture!
Some "luchtzak" members boarding
Some "luchtzak" members boarding
Welcome aboard by the stewardesses sporting their new hat: classy!
Zaynab Debaïeb is her name
Zaynab Debaïeb is her name
Jetairfly COO Günther Hofman would then address an introductory message to the passengers.
Jetairfly COO Günther Hofman's address
Jetairfly COO Günther Hofman's address
I had a journalist of Focus-WTV next to me, at the window. After take-off, he would start filming throughout the aircraft and so I could move to the window.
Nice premium seat
Nice premium seat
Direction Liège at FL 60: not very high, thus splendid views of the Belgian landscape swept by a brilliant sunshine. At Liège Airport a splendid fly-by at only a few metres from the ground was applauded by all the passengers.
Low pass at Liège airport
Low pass at Liège airport
Up in the air again, at FL100, first along the Meuse (and above the house of my childhood) and then to Ostend via Brussels. During the flight a small bottle of cava was served to all the passengers and the stewardesses took pleasure in showing the mood lighting in all colours.
Cava for all!
Cava for all!
Mood lighting
Mood lighting
From the cockpit
From the cockpit
The plane reached the cost at Knokke and started circling above Zeebrugge and the Western Scheldt before slowing down to be filmed by photographers on board of a Cessna Grand Caravan, before finally making a fly-by at Ostend as well, followed by a perfect landing.
Zeebrugge seen from the cockpit
Zeebrugge seen from the cockpit
Cessna Grand Caravan with photographers on board
Cessna Grand Caravan with photographers on board
The fire brigade was there for the traditional water cannon salute.
Water cannon salute from inside
Water cannon salute from inside
Upon disembarkation of all the guests on the tarmac, TUI Belgium CEO Elie Bruyninckx (who had travelled in one of the two jumpseats) welcomed famous Belgian sculptor Panamarenko, the godfather of the plane: his signature adorned both sides of the aircraft. Panamarenko later christened the plane by opening a bottle of Champagne (but he didn’t throw it on the composite structure!).
Nice cabin crew (with captain André Berger)
Nice cabin crew (with captain André Berger)
Christening by Panamarenko with Elie Bruyninckx
Christening by Panamarenko with Elie Bruyninckx
Signature
Signature
On the tarmac in OST
On the tarmac in OST
The 900 guests (300 who flew from Brussels, another 300 who were going to fly to Brussels and 300 local people) then entered the main airport building hall for a reception and lunch with live entertainment.
Live entertainmant
Live entertainmant
Party lunch
Party lunch
I went back to Brussels by coach, together with many others. The 787 flew back to Brussels.

The next day, it made its first flight to Tenerife South, and it knew its first diversion: to Las Palmas! But that’s another story…

Link to many more pictures will be posted later
André
ex Sabena #26567

Apuneger

Re: Report of Dream flight offered by Jetairfly to stakehold

Post by Apuneger »

Hi Andre,

Excellent trip report of the Dreamflight from BRU to OST.

I also had the pleasure of being invited by Jetairfly for this very unique Dreamliner Event. I was invited for both flights, ie BRU-OST via LGG and OST-BRU via CRL.

Jetairfly JAF 9201 BRU-OST
Date: Tuesday December 10th 2013
Flight: JAF9201 BRU-OST via LGG
Aircraft Type: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Seat: 6J (Premium Club)
STD/ATD: 10:45 / 11:20 LT (blocks off)
STA/ATA: 11:45 / 13:06 LT (blocks on)

As André already wrote an excellent trip report, I will just add some of my photos:

The Flight Crew Members discussing their final preparations for the flight BRU-OST via LGG during boarding

Inside the Premium Club

Effect of a dimmed window

Close-up of the right wing shortly after takeoff from BRU

Showcasing the Sky Interior mood lighting

The bar is opened. Travelling to OST in style...

Reaching the coastline

Flying in tight formation with Cessna C208B Grand Caravan PH-JMP of Nationaal Paracentrum Teuge

Smooth landing on RWY 08 at OST

Ceremony at OST

As André already mentioned, the Dreamliner's christening was done shortly after landing by Belgian famous artist Panamarenko. Afterwards, all passengers had the opportunity to take some unique photos of the aircraft parked at OST, before going to the terminal building for a party lunch.

Artwork by Belgian artist Panamarenko on the fuselage of OO-JDL

Parked on the OST apron shortly after landing

Close-up of the Dreamliner tail section

Close-up of the GEnx engine

CEO Mr Elie Bruyninckx giving a speech to all invitees in the OST terminal building

Jetairfly JAF 9202 OST-BRU
Date: Tuesday December 10th 2013
Flight: JAF9202 OST-BRU via CRL
Aircraft Type: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Seat: 3A (Premium Club)
STD/ATD: 14:45 / 15:58 LT (blocks off)
STA/ATA: 15:45 / 16:55 LT (blocks on)

As the sun was already starting to get lower on the horizon, boarding commenced soon for the return flight to BRU. Since some of the passengers weren't on the first flight and hence hadn't had the opportunity to get some photos of the aircraft, they were also given a short opportunity to get some photos of the Dreamliner parked on the OST apron.

View of the forward fuselage and the moon high in the sky during our boarding for the return flight to BRU

Once boarding was completed, we were kindly welcomed again by the cabin crew as well as the flight crew via the PA. Both engines were started at the same time, and shortly after engine startup was completed, we turned away from the apron and taxied our way to RWY 26. Once we entered the RWY, we didn't backtrack but immediately started our takeoff roll.

Moments before engine startup on the OST apron

Climbout from OST gave us some additional nice views of the Belgian coast, especially now the sun was already starting to set. We climbed to FL90 and followed a straight route to CRL over the cities of Roeselare, Waregem, Oudenaarde and Geraardsbergen.

During the short cruise, Jetair's Distribution Director Mr Coussement as well as the COO of Jetairfly, Mr Hofman addressed all pax onboard of the flight. Afterwards the cabin crew offered the passengers a nice mini bottle of cava. A very tasty gesture from Jetairfly...

Passengers onboard the Dreamliner were given the opportunity to visit the flightdeck in groups of 4. It was explicitely mentioned that taking photographs with flash would not be allowed. Unfortunately not everybody got the chance to briefly visit the flightdeck whilst inflight, as in the meantime we had already started our descent into CRL. We were informed however that anybody interested would still have the opportunity to visit the flightdeck after landing in BRU.

Pilots at work on the 787 flightdeck

The approach to CRL went smooth and uneventful. We didn't do a low pass, but instead the flight crew decided to do a simulated missed approach and perform a go around out of CRL. As could be expected, lots of passengers enjoyed the go around, as the engines spooled up again and we climbed fast out of CRL.

Another view of the mood lighting inside the Dreamliner cabin

We climbed back to an altitude of 2.500ft and made our way to the approach of BRU's RWY 25L. The pilots informed us that they would perform a full autoland on the RWY, to showcase the highly advanced capabilities of this new aircraft, even with a visibility of just 75 meters.

Another look at the advanced Dreamliner wing during sunset

Landing on RWY 25L was very gentle, and we made a smooth rollout. As we taxied to stand 145 at the A-pier, we passed 4 JAF 737's which were all parked remote at the Satellite.

Around 16:55 LT the aircraft came to a complete stop at stand 145 and engines were shut down. On the horizon, the sun had already set and the sky turned out all orange and dark blue. A magnificent ending of an extraordinary day.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody at Jetairfly, Jetair and all other companies involved for organizing such a unique Dreamliner Event! Let the dream begin...

More photos are available on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87041388@N ... 621485853/

Best regards,
Ivan
Last edited by Apuneger on 16 Dec 2013, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Nice report and great photos. I'll complete the photos with a video from the second flight, taken from seat 6A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVO9Aek5EIo
If I see your photos, I think you were seated at 4A or something?

Comet

Post by Comet »

Nice report and photos! Love the one of Zeebrugge, I missed the place this year when I was stuck in Munich for the week - never again!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Sabena320 wrote:If I see your photos, I think you were seated at 4A or something?
For the flight BRU-OST I was seated at 6J. For the flight OST-BRU I was seated at 3A.
Very nice video by the way!

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

I was also invited for the Dreamflight BRU-OST :) .

Flight: JetairFly JAF 9201 BRU-OST via LGG (Brussels-Ostend via Liège)
Date : 10 DEC 2013
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 reg. OO-JDL
Seat: 26A (window), Economy+ class
STD/ATD: 10:45 / 11:20 LT (blocks off)
STA/ATA: 11:45 / 13:06 LT (blocks on)
Flight-deck: D. Schneidewind / A. Berger / F. Smet
FL: 110
Takeoff Runway: 25R / Landing Runway: 08

As mentioned before by Apuneger; André wrote an excellent trip report, so I will just add some of my photos and video's:

Registration

Dreamliner versus Audi, I choose the Dreamliner

Take off!

Above Brussels

On our way to Liège.

Testing of dimming the windows.

GO-AROUND in Liège Airport

Turning to the West

Starting exploring this beautiful airplane. ;-)

crew
crew rest area :-)

back of the plane
City of Ghent

Port of (Zee)Brugge

City of Ostend

Landing in Ostend

Upon arrival the Boeing 787-8 is being welcomed by the airport's Fire Department with a traditional water salute.

The cockpit

The engine

The fantastic cabin crew.

Ostend Tower

Antonov versus Dreamliner!

You can also check more photos on my facebook/flickr/youtube page.
http://www.facebook.com/quixoticguide
http://www.flickr.com/quixoticguide
http://www.youtube.com/quixoticguide

Thank you, Jetairfly for the great day!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I see that I forgot to post the itinerary. It is quite obvious from Brussels to Liège, and from there to the Belgian coast near Knokke, but there the pleasure began:
Itinerary of the Dream flight from BRU to OST via LGG
Itinerary of the Dream flight from BRU to OST via LGG
Above, I posted only the most significant pictures, but many more are available in the link hereunder, including on the arrival of the plane from Seattle:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10706635 ... 8042780753
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.