SN502: JFK-BRU in C with Brussels Airlines (10JUN2012)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Bralo20

SN502: JFK-BRU in C with Brussels Airlines (10JUN2012)

Post by Bralo20 »

Flightreport 10JUN2012 Brussels Airlines SN502 JFK-BRU

Departure: JFK
Arrival: BRU
Flightnumber: SN502
Plane: Airbus A330-300, OO-SFM
Seat: 5A, business
STD: 17h15
ATD: 18h08
Runway: 22R?
Loadfactor: C: 100%, Y: 100 % (290 on board, incl. regular crew & deadheading crew (2 extra))
Cruise altitude: 38100 feet

1) Check-in

Personnel of Swissport USA handled checkin in terminal 1, lane H. They adequately checked us in and provided me with an upgrade to business class*. Our bags were labeled and our boardingpasses were issued. The staff of Swissport USA is quite friendly and responded quickly to all my questions.

2) Embarking, take-off, IFE, service

The embarking of the flight went smooth even though the flight seems to be completely full. Business class passengers can board at their convenience. A friendly staff of Brussels Airlines did welcome me with a big smile at the door of the plane and guides me towards my seat. When you enter the plane it’s like you enter a factory new plane, everything is just brand-new. If one wouldn’t know he or she would think that this plane was actually delivered last week instead of 19 years ago when it was one of the first A330’s which rolled out of the factory. Brussels Airlines and Lufthansa Technics in Malta did an astonishing job by refurbishing these planes, it allowes Brussels Airlines to compete on this very competitive route across the Atlantic ocean. Actually, Brussels Airlines does offer the best product ex-BRU towards the USA (and ex-JFK to BRU). The seats, even in economy, are top of the line and are very comfortable. But that’s not all what Brussels Airlines makes the best, the best of the whole experience wetter it is in economy or in business class, is the staff. Brussels Airlines’ staff is among the best in the world and a passenger on board of a (longhaul) Brussels Airlines flight will notice it right away. This is just top service, nothing less, nothing more! Airlines can learn from Brussels Airlines. As a guest of them I felt like I was a king.

About an hour after departure the crew started with the dinner service which had following options in business class:

Starters

- Marinated shrimp over fennel salad
- Herbed sliced beef served on a bed of roast pumpkin

Main

- Beef porcini stew offered with onion mash potatoes and caramelized julienne vegetables
- Seared Arctic char accompanied by lemon butter sauce, re bliss potatoes and baby turnip
- Vegetable cannelloni in basil Alfredo sauce

Cheese

- Camembert, Gruyère and Cranberry Wensleydale

Dessert

- Lemon Cheese cake
- Coffee or tea

Fresh fruit is available at any time

Breakfast

A light breakfast will be served before landing at Brussels

- Croissants, a selection of warm bread rolls, a fresh fruit salad and yoghurt, accompanied by coffee, tea or fresh orange juice.

Wines

Champagne: Laurant-Perrier Brut

Special Selection: De Kluizen, Cuvée 2009/2010 (white, Belgium)
Seasonal choice: Stassen Premium Belgian Pear Cider (Belgium)

White:

- Les Vieux Murs, Loron et Fils 2009, Pouilly-Fuissé (French)
- Clay Station Viognier 2011 (USA)

Red:

- Chateau Rochemorin, Pessac-Léognan (France)
- Tenuta Frescobaldi di Castiglioni 2008 (Toscane, Italy)

Alcohol:

- Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt
- Johnnie Walker Black Label 12yo (blend)
- Four Roses Bourbon
- Smirnoff Vodka
- Campari
- Bacardi, white rum
- Gordon’s Dry Gin
- Martini Rosso
- Baileys Irish Cream
- Martell VSOP Medaillon Cognac
- Croft Port 10yo
- Mandarin Napoleon
- Cointreau
- Calvados Pear Brandy

Monthly cocktail (Caipi One):

“Tropical Mix”

Every month Brussels Airlines offers you a special cocktail from Caipi One. The fresh ingredients such as limes, strawberries and passion-fruit are grown on Brazilian Caipi One fruit fiels. As soon as the fruit is ready to be picked it is processed instantly to prepare you the finest cocktail.

Belgian Beers:

- Jupiler
- Leffe

Non Alcoholic Beverages:

- Orange, Apple, Tomato, Cranberry Juice
- Mineral Water
- Sparklin water
- Sprite
- Coca-Cola
- Coca-Cola Light
- Schweppes Tonic

Hot Beverages:

- Coffee / Deca
- Assorted teas
- Hot Chocolate

I chose the herbed sliced beef and it was presented with a delicious fresh salad. The beef itself was tender and tasted very good. Together with the starter a warm bread roll was presented. Like previous flight this all was presented by the crew with a big smile.

For the main course I chose for the Seared Arctic char accompanied by lemon butter sauce, red bliss potatoes and baby turnip. I always have a bit of luck with fish and this time wasn’t different. The fish tasted absolutely delicious, it was as they had catched it a couple of hours before the flight. The size of the portion was decent and the potatoes were seasoned right.

After the main course a cheese platter was offered and this had some Camembert, Gruyere and some Cranberry cheese together with some nuts and some nicely fresh grapes, a warm bread roll was also offered. I asked for the port with the cheese and it tasted good with it, Brussels Airlines definitely made a good choice.

A small lemon cheesecake was being offered as a dessert with some coffee. Needless to say but also this cheesecake was prime quality. It was amongst the best I’ve eaten during the past couple of days.

After the dinnerservice the crew commenced with the sale of duty free items, I bought a replica of the A330-300 to put on my desk, for only 15 EUR It’s a bargain.

Even thought the plane is completely full (actually the flight is overbooked with every single seat taken and 2 additional dead-heading SN crews flying on crewseats), it’s remarkable that the service on board of the plane remains very consistent and the crew is even willing to make some time to have a talk about their experience with the NY flights. According to the crew the flights ex-JFK are consistently full while the flights out of BRU are rather low on loads (110 to 120 pax on average but the last days this seems to be increasing to approximately 220 on board). Fortunately for Brussels Airlines nearly all of them are paying customers with few upgrades or non-revs on board.

Now, let’s talk about the seats for a minute.

The seats are like previous stated brand new and are similar in business class to these to be found in Swiss International Airlines fleet. The seats feature a 15” big touchscreen with about 40 movies, 32 TV series, dozens of music channels and games, enough to keep everyone, from small to big, from young to old, busy during the flight. The system works quite well though sometimes there seems to be a small delay. Nothing to serious and certainly nothing to worry about, probably some minor glitches that can be fixed in the future. The system works very smooth and is a big step up from the past and it’s even one of the best systems available today since it doesn’t need a big IFE box under the seats which also saves some precious weight on the plane. The content is locally stored on flash memory and is frequently updated with recent content. The system features also a nice flight tracker which gives information about the heading, the speed, the altitude, the wind, it even gives a virtual view around the plane.

Let’s be honest, the best seats in business class are the single seats, you’ll have the same seat as the rest but you’ll have 2 tables beside you where you can put your stuff on. The minor disadvantage is the fact that you aren’t directly besides the window (in the case of a windowseat and only when you like to take picture like I do) but on a night flight there’s nothing to see outside so there’s no reason to wine about this. Now, while typing this report I’ve been sitting for several hours into this new seat and I can be honest, they are quite good. As a big wide and tall guy I’m quite comfortable in my seat. I’m more then happy to spend 8 or plus hours into these seats, no doubt about it. The only issue I personally have with the seats is the fact that your legs will be in a sort of a cocoon when the seat is transformed to a bed. Like said, being a tall wide guy it’s not always easy. Being tall means unfortunately that I wear shoes size 51 (US 17 I think?) and my feet just don’t fit into the cocoon. But no worries, it’s not Brussels Airlines fault that I live on big foot (like we say :D). And even I can find a more then confortable spot in the seat. I asked a few people their opinion and all say the same thing: the new seats are awesome and one of the best offerings on the transatlantic route.

I also want to discuss the staff a bit. Like written in my previous report I noticed that the crew on board went beyond the call of duty as I like to call it. From the moment you board to the moment you disembark the plane, you’ll notice that the crew is very very attentive and willing to do anything to let you, the guest, feel at home. Regular checks if something is needed, making time for some chitchat, helping you with issues (for example the seat to name something), and many many more… At all time the crew is ready to help, always with a big smile and this big smile is an honest one, not one they put up but a true honest smile. You’ll see that Brussels Airlines’ staff is very proud to work on this flight and for the airline. Also important to mention is the fact that the crew is perfect in the 3 languages spoken on board of the plane, it doesn’t matter if it’s English, Dutch or French, they’ll answer you in your own language. The crew deserves most of the credit of the lovely experiences I had on the flights. After the inauguration lays a week behind us it is nice to see that the crew is still going for the best service. I hope that Brussels Airlines brings over my congratulations to the entire crew, they really deserve it.

Now regarding the flight itself, for the most part is was uneventful until we where somewhere halfway across the Atlantic. A that point we hit some turbulence which wasn’t to pleasant but fortunately not to bad either (It felt like riding on the famous Flemish cobblestones).

To conclude this report I have to say that I can recommend Brussels Airlines for (long haul) travel in both economy and business class. The newly refurbished A330's are great to travel into (and that's me talking as a Boeing lover) with a top product in both classes. But the real charm is the staff on board of the planes, they are just top class who are as good and even better as the crews on board of the world top airlines. At these times I'm proud to be a Belgian, proud to have an airline that can make a difference in the always deteriorating quality of inflight service throughout airlines across the globe.

Minor remarks:

- AVOD IFE system can sometimes respond slow on the touchscreen input
- AVOD IFE: More recognizable music choices would be nice, to much rather unknown artists.
- As a "Belgian" airline some additional Belgian beers would be nice, certainly in business class, maybe add a premium beer?
- Amenity kit: A body lotion or something to moisturize the skin would be nice

Final Note:

To conclude I would like to recommend Brussel Airlines any time, any day for (long haul) travel to anyone who ask about it. Brussels Airlines had some ups and downs since their start after the bankruptcy of their predecessor Sabena but now they are (IMHO) on the right track. Their long haul product is top notch and can certainly compete with nearly every carrier across the globe. They'll still need to work on their short and mid haul product but at least their long haul product is what it needs to be. The lovely staff on board makes it even better and make you feel a guest rather then an ordinary client. I truly hope they can succeed on the JFK route and hope to see some expanison on TATL routes in the future.

* The commerical upgrade to business class was provided by Brussels Airlines in order to give me the chance to review their new business product. They noticed I've written a report about the new economy class and contacted me if I was interested in an upgrade. Originally I had booked the promo fare of 400 EUR which booked in the lowest economy class "K".

Some pictures:

Lufthansa business lounge in Terminal 1 at JFK:

Gate 10, terminal 1 (at least the logo's are correct, apparently some old Sabena logo's could been seen in the previous days):

My seat: 5A

Amenity kit:

Amuse Gueule:

Starter:

Silverware with Brussels Airlines logo:

Main course:

Cheese:

Dessert:

Breakfast:

Sky:

15" AVOD IFE system:

Zorba

Re: SN502: JFK-BRU in C with Brussels Airlines (10JUN2012)

Post by Zorba »

Thanks for the review! Seems the route is doing great.

An upgrade just because they noticed you did a review on their first flight, seriously? :lol: That's lucky.
Tot hier en verder

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

That's really nice of SN to to upgrade you to C so you could review it too. Especially considering you bought the cheap promo fare.
Now, as the Belgian airline, I was secretly hoping SN would serve some Belgian white wine (the one from "De Limburg" whose name slipped my mind) in C too. I agree that a couple more "premium" beers (along the lines of Duvel, Delirium Tremens, etc) would be nice too.
All in all though, I think I know who I'll fly across the pond now :)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Zorba wrote:Thanks for the review! Seems the route is doing great.

An upgrade just because they noticed you did a review on their first flight, seriously? :lol: That's lucky.
The route is indeed doing great, at least ex-JFK where planes are rather full but ex-BRU seems to be slow according to the crews. I assume a lot of people are using the ex-JFK flight to connect to SN's AFI ops so I'll expect the numbers ex-BRU to increase in the next couple of weeks.

Well, I had some contact with SN in the past and I'm not the only one who got the upgrade, Bart Lapers a respected travel blogger/photographer did also got the upgrade to review the product. Hey, you can't expect I say "no" when offered an upgrade ;)

I truly hope that this route succeeds, SN deserves it. The biggest advantage for SN is IMHO not the state of the art product (which is obviously nice) but the crew on board of the plane. SN's crews are amongst the best I even experienced and this alone makes a big difference... This is something that customers will notice time after time, the seats are nice but we'll get used to it... However, the personal service is something that people will always notice.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Bralo20 wrote:The route is indeed doing great, at least ex-JFK where planes are rather full but ex-BRU seems to be slow according to the crews. I assume a lot of people are using the ex-JFK flight to connect to SN's AFI ops so I'll expect the numbers ex-BRU to increase in the next couple of weeks.

Well, I had some contact with SN in the past and I'm not the only one who got the upgrade, Bart Lapers a respected travel blogger/photographer did also got the upgrade to review the product. Hey, you can't expect I say "no" when offered an upgrade ;)

I truly hope that this route succeeds, SN deserves it. The biggest advantage for SN is IMHO not the state of the art product (which is obviously nice) but the crew on board of the plane. SN's crews are amongst the best I even experienced and this alone makes a big difference... This is something that customers will notice time after time, the seats are nice but we'll get used to it... However, the personal service is something that people will always notice.
Of course not, an upgrade is very nice indeed. And you do write some thorough reviews so they chose smartly ;)

You are right, people do appreciate friendly and attentive cabin crew. Let's hope SN crew can keep up this attitude.

Next time we go to NY will be with SN, no doubt :)
Tot hier en verder

Duke

Post by Duke »

Lucky you indeed to get an upgrade to review the business class product...

Now I think Brussels Airlines will have to speed up the refurbishment of the other A330's, as the contrast between the new and the old interiors is huge.
Anyone flying to Brussels to get a connection to Africa might be seriously disappointed (except on the Cameroon flights where the refurbished plane(s) seems to be allocated to in priority).
Last month, on OO-SFO the reading lights above my seat didn't even work, on a night flight...

Does anyone know the planning of the refurbishment?
According to FlightRadar, every A330 seems to be active, none in Malta...

As soon as all A330 will be refurbished, Brussels Airlines will indeed be a serious competitor, both on the Africa flights as on the transatlantic flights..

Regards,

Duke

regi

Post by regi »

You lucky bXXX :)
Well Bralo, great that you persisted to write the second report, despite a certain member placed a negative reply. I bet that this member will become berserk if he is reading your marvellous report with the upgrade.
OK, we all read the press about restructuring at SNBA. But your report is the best marketing for SNBA. In the mid to long turn, this will mean that more people will be needed.
Great detail: that they offer a Belgian wine on board !
http://www.domein-de-kluizen.be

Dear members: it is our duty to join Bralo and send in our flight reports as well.
( to the webmaster: maybe you can strike a deal with that wine maker and offer a bottle of that wine for the best report :P )

Stij

Post by Stij »

regi wrote:( to the webmaster: maybe you can strike a deal with that wine maker and offer a bottle of that wine for the best report :P )
Maybe we should organise an annual Luchtzak award for the best flight as well! And to avoid all discussions: in 3 caterogries: LCC, Charter and Full service! ;-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

C class on SN now is better than F class 20 years ago, when I used to fly regularly to the US and get upgrades from C to F from Sabena. "Le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le sourire de la crêmière" is a wonderful combination for less than 400 euro!

About beers, before offering some more Belgian brands, they should think about their American customers and present Budweiser or Michelob, if they want to stick with AB Inbev brands.

About wines, I would not offer Belgian bottles yet: they are not likely to get a big success, especially among foreign passengers.

But congratulations to SN for the nice product!
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

The commerical upgrade to business class was provided by Brussels Airlines in order to give me the chance to review their new business product.
And
From the moment you board to the moment you disembark the plane, you’ll notice that the crew is very very attentive and willing to do anything to let you, the guest, feel at home.

It's the time-honoured and classical way the PR people treat journalists and the like.
Now, is it a guarantee of an impartial report, or will the reporter be grateful and favorably influenced ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:Now, is it a guarantee of an impartial report, or will the reporter be grateful and favorably influenced ?
If somebody made this insinuation about me, I would feel insulted. One thing is for sure however, by making this remark you proven yourself not being impartial.

Cheers,

Stij

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

airazurxtror wrote: It's the time-honoured and classical way the PR people treat journalists and the like.
Now, is it a guarantee of an impartial report, or will the reporter be grateful and favorably influenced ?
To be honest I was thinking a bit the same, although I would not use those strong words. Lets say it different: would the report be exact the same if he paid 2000+ €, instead of an free upgrade from a 400 € ticket? I have my doubts.

Still a nice and detailed report, and no , I'm not an SN basher.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

@Airazurxtror

You can rest assured that my reports are completely impartial. I was even prepared to pay the difference between my economy ticket and the business ticket to review the new business class (which was my original plan btw from the start). Actually I do feel a little insulted by this. I'm probably one of the most impartial persons on the planet, you can ask any of my suppliers to confirm this.

As a fleet manager for rather a large company I do have a big fleet of cars, vans, trucks, heavy machinery, specialized equipment etc... On regular occasions I do get stuff to test (it can be cars, vans, trucks, even machinery) and my reports (or the reports of my co-workers) are always impartial. I don't mind at all to throw a supplier out of our company even if it's a supplier that delivers for more than decades. For vans and trucks for example I kicked Mercedes out of the company despite of having a fleet that was a couple of hundred big. I replaced them with Iveco. Why? Not because Iveco got me a free trip to the Bahama's or something, no, Iveco gives us nothing at all compared to Mercedes who gave us trips, gifts, etc... I made the decision because from a technical and financial point of view Iveco was superior to Mercedes (we do buy, don't lease and have our own maintenance facility while everything is being used at their designed (or more) capacity so resale value is of little use). And today, years after I made the switch it's clear it was the right decision. As I'm a direct customer with the importer (as to Mercedes where I needed to go through a dealer) I do get better offers, being an important customer I do get better service and I'm not considered a number, service is still personal. Does this mean that Iveco is a saint? Nope, I've written dozens of mails with complaints/advice/recommendations about their products. And today, I'm happy to see that some of those complaints/advices/recommendations resulted in some changes in their products.

Some of my suppliers are using us as a test facility, we do get some new stuff to test, not because they like us so much but rather because we do give them honest non-biased reports of our findings. I couldn't care less that supplier X doesn't like me because I wrote a negative report. If it's good, it's good, if it's bad, it's bad. (or anything between). I'll always write what's on my mind and on my tongue. Not for a million EUR I'll change my opinion.

So again, you can be sure that this report is 100% accurate and my travel companion who flew back in economy to BRU can actually confirm this.

And it's not all positive, I've written some remarks but maybe you didn't notice them? ;)
Last edited by Bralo20 on 12 Jun 2012, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

andorra-airport wrote: To be honest I was thinking a bit the same, although I would not use those strong words. Lets say it different: would the report be exact the same if he paid 2000+ €, instead of an free upgrade from a 400 € ticket? I have my doubts.

Still a nice and detailed report, and no , I'm not an SN basher.
Guys,

I can show you my communication with SN where I was asking about a PAID upgrades to business class (that's the way I do it with United btw, I book cheap economy tickets and upgrade on the airport to business class which is in UA's case much cheaper then buying a normal business ticket). It was only after this question and after my report came online that I was offered a commercial upgrade.

Would my report being the same if I paid for the ticket: I can honestly say YES (and that's in capital letters folks). My report would be exactly the same.

My flight report from BRU to JFK was maybe even more positive, this was before I was offered the commerical upgrade and with a regular paid ticket. I wonder why nobody doubts that report?

Something to think about?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bralo20,

I am sure your report is totally impartial. There is no doubt about it. I think that what airazurxtror and andorra-airport meant is that SN knew that you were going to report about your trip and that therefore you got a better treatment on board. I do not think myself that this is the case, but it is well known that journalists in general receive a good treatment in order to report nicely about airlines.

I think that in your case everybody on board (at least in business class) was treated in the same way. Although it is not mentioned specifically in your report, it is at least how I feel it when reading you.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Honestly, with a 100% full flight I doubt it there is much to change about the service... I'm an easy customer btw, I don't botter the crew if it isn't necessary and from what I've seen every single person in C did receive exact the same treatment. And according to my travel companion the service in Y was at the same level as the inauguration (with 20% more people on board.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Bralo, you don't need to explain to those vinaiger pissers...they only thing they do is being negative.
When there is something positive appearing about SN, they get personal to the person who brings the news..
Or they are just jealous they have to fly cattle in low cost...LOLOL
Great report, keep them coming. At least you are contributing in a positive way to this forum...

regi

Post by regi »

OO-ITR wrote:Bralo, you don't need to explain to those vinaiger pissers...they only thing they do is being negative.
When there is something positive appearing about SN, they get personal to the person who brings the news..
Or they are just jealous they have to fly cattle in low cost...LOLOL
Great report, keep them coming. At least you are contributing in a positive way to this forum...
Exactly. And I am a bit disappointed that those strange reactions came from those other 2 members, while I expected a big fart from our nimbus/nemesis Nr. 1. :evil:

Look Bralo: great report and you are the final winner with that free upgrade.
And I can not imagine that the FA were only smiling to you from start to finish, if they were not genuinly friendly. ( or it must be that they had a group discount of bottox injections combined with a massive overload of Prozac :) )

Stij

Post by Stij »

Stij wrote:
airazurxtror wrote:Now, is it a guarantee of an impartial report, or will the reporter be grateful and favorably influenced ?
If somebody made this insinuation about me, I would feel insulted. One thing is for sure however, by making this remark you proven yourself not being impartial.
euh... just for the record... the "you" in my post was airazurxtror...

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Apparently according to folks on airliners.net and flyertalk.com my report read a bit to much like an advertisement for Brussels Airlines, which in the end I can agree to. I should have written it different but also in the end, I stand by everything in my report. ;)