BRU - FRA - SFO - PHX and SFO - FRA - BRU on LH

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Kapitein

BRU - FRA - SFO - PHX and SFO - FRA - BRU on LH

Post by Kapitein »

This time I went to the USA for a roundtrip of 3 weeks with friends. I booked on a promotion fare with LH BRU – SFO – PHX via FRA and return SFO – BRU also via FRA. Flights to and from SFO where with the A380.

Flight: LH1025
Date: 30/04/2012
Type: Boeing 737-300 D-ABXS
Route: Brussels – Frankfurt
Flighttime: 40 minutes
Loadfactor: 60%

A rather short flight so also a short report for this. Flight departed ontime and everything went on without a problem. Service started shortly after take-off. Everyone received a candybar with a warm and/or cold drink served. Small but enjoyable.

We landed on the on the newest runway in FRA, 25R. Wich is pretty far for the taxi. The pilot had the same toughts I guess because he braked like hell to get a shorter exit. ;)

FRA Airport

We arrived at a remotestand, deboarding by bus and a nice drive to the terminal. Always interesting to drive around in FRA, with all those wide-bodys standing there in the morning.
When entering the building the flights weren’t yet on the screens so we didn’t had the exact gate for our next flight to SFO. But no problem, we needed to be in the C-terminal so we began our walk to screening and bordercontrole. We arrived at the screening wich wasn’t that crowded so it went rather quickly also border control was fast and we continued to the gate. That one was really crowded, so a completely full flight would follow. Gate area was quite nice and after a 30 minutes waiting boarding started. The boardingpass is read by a scanner, doors automaticly opens and you can enter. There are 3 entries for the A380, 1 for the upperdeck, 1 for the first rows in Y and 1 for the last rows in Y. Everything went very smoothly and we where seated really fast.

Flight: LH454
Type: Airbus A380-800
Route: Frankfurt – San Francisco FRA – SFO
Flighttime: 11 hours
Loadfactor: around 100%

We where seated in a exitrow so legroom we had more then enough. Pushback ontime and then a short taxi to runway 25C and a direct take off towards SFO. All this is perfectly visible on the cameras mounted in the aircraft. You have 1 tailcamera, 1 nosewheelcamera and 1 camera that looks down. Nice feature to follow everything outside. We climbed to the North heading to AMS, Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Canada and back South again towards SFO.
What me surprised is that you don’t hear or feel a lot in the A380, very comfortable aircraft to fly with.

On cruising altitude service began.
They started with drinks and biscuits. You could choose between a soda-drink or something stronger like Gin or Wodka even champagne was available. After that the foodservice began and we could choose between a pasta or a chickenmeal. Again drinks where served and now you could have also red or white wine with it. I took the paste with a soda and a red wine wich was very delicious even as the meal itself, very tasty. A second time they came by with the wine. First service was perfect and after service they came with a digistiefke, Cognac or Bailys was the choice or coffee. So time to relax and explore the IFE.
IFE was very good, nice films, a good choice of music and musicvideo’s. You had no time to get bored on the flight.

Flight went on, nothing happened not even turbulence so perfect for me.
When we had around 1,5 – 2 hours to go they started again with a service. Same as the first one, all drinks where available and again you could choice between pasta or chicken. This time I took the chicken wich was also very nice. Second service also perfect.
Time to start our landing at SFO, also visible on the screens thanks to the cameras. Landing on 28R and a slow taxi to our gate. Deboarding went rather fast and there we went.

SFO Airport

We arrived at the bordercontrole, together with us a SQ flight. So quite a lot of people where waiting to pass the border. I think we waited around 1 hour before it was our turn. Wich wasn’t a problem because we had to wait around 5 hours for our next flight to PHX. This was the second time I flew to SFO and I knew the TSA people are very friendly there, they even can smile. So this time same as before. With a little chat and a smile my papers where checked and the last part of our flyingtrip could began. We took our baggage of the belt, past customs without a problem and of we went towards the US Airways check in. Since we already had our boardingpass we only needed to put our baggage on the belt and waiting could began.
All this took around 2 hours so we still had plenty of time.
Heading for our last flight we past screening again. Wich was done by the newest type of scanners. Fast and effective. To the gate area we went and waited for our flight to PHX

Flight: US408
Type: A320 N675UW
Route: San Francisco – Phoenix SFO – PHX
Flighttime: 1h45
Loadfactor: 50%

First time with US, so I didn’t know what to expect.
Boarding went fast since it wasn’t a full flight, push back and taxi to 28L began. After take off we made a 180° turn so I had a perfect view of SFO airport. Flight went on but with a little bit of “chop” like the American pilots like to call it.
A service began and I didn’t know if we had to pay or not for our drinks. But I saw quickly that it was for free and I took again a soda drink. The last domestic flight in the US I flew with the old UA and nothing was for free so thereby I was wondering if it was for free or not.
We past some nice scenery on our why to PHX, we even past Victorville storage field.
Landing in PHX was smooth and warm. We took our baggage, went to the car rental and the trip could start.

After 3 weeks our trip was over and time to go back home. This time it where only 2 flights SFO – FRA and FRA – BRU.

Flight: LH455
Date: 21/05/2012
Type: A380-800 D-AIMG
Route: San Francisco – Frankfurt SFO – FRA
Flighttime: around 10 hours
Loadfactor: 100%

After a little struggle at check in, because 23kg is not 24kg and bordercontrole we went to the gate area. Again a lot of people for our flight back. Same system for boarding as in FRA, 3 entrys into the plane wich makes it easy for everyone. This time I was seated in a normal seat. I must say, it was very comfortable. Even when the person in front of me reclined his seat I had enough space and I'm 191cm.
Again everything was visible via the camera system and of we went via 28R towards FRA.
Service was the same as on the previous flight, drinks with pasta or chicken and the after service wich was more than OK for me.
Flight went on and after we experienced some turbulence everything went calm again.
Just like on the previous flight, 1,5 – 2 hours before landing they started to serve our breakfast. Wich was a omelette wich tomatoe and coffee, again very tasty.
Landing in FRA was on 07R and a short taxi to the gate. Deboarding and up to our final flight back to BRU.

FRA Airport again

This time we needed to go to the B-terminal wich is a good walk from the C-terminal where we arrived. So up and away again. We past bordercontrole pretty fast and then to the last screening where it was very crowded. After 30 minutes we where past it and up to the gate for our flight.

Flight: LH1012
Date: 22/05/2012
Type: 737-300 D-ABEC
Route: Frankfurt – Brussel FRA – BRU
Flighttime: 40 minutes
Loadfactor: 50%

Again a short flight back home. Departure on runway 18 and then left turn towards BRU. Service was the same as before, a candybar and the choice between soda drinks, beer or coffee.
We arrived in BRU perfectly on time.

All in all:
Legroom: perfect for me, don't know what it is in a 747 or A330/340 but for the A380 I was happy with it.
Service: more then perfect, tasty, good choice for drinks.
IFE: also good indeed
Again with LH?: ofcourse, it was the best longhaul flight that I did the past few months, it was even better then QR for me. And I will recommend them to to other persons.
A380: perfect aircraft, you don't have the feeling that you are packed in Y. Smooth and silent it is

Next flight, TG to BKK and HKT

capetown

Re: BRU - FRA - SFO - PHX and SFO - FRA - BRU on LH

Post by capetown »

Nice report, thanks! And glad to read that you share my view on the level of comfort aboard the A380 (engine noise close to non-existent ...). (I flew the A380 twice on the DXB-BKK route (EK), and was - and remain - really enthusiastic about this wonderful airplane). Quite interesting to read that you put LH ahead of QR when it comes to inflight service :o

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report. I had visited the LH A380 when it came to Brussels, but I still had to read a report on an actual flight. This is done now.

Not yet bored of "pasta or chicken". Not very professional of LH to serve twice the same choice on the same flight...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

sn26567 wrote: Not yet bored of "pasta or chicken". Not very professional of LH to serve twice the same choice on the same flight...
It was indeed twice chicken or pasta but both times it was very different. First time the pasta was ravioli and the second time it was something else but I can't remember what it was.
Same with the chickenmeal, both times completly different.

Bob_Marcotte

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

Not really looking forward to pasta or chicken ( x 2 ) but from your comments it sounds the A380 was a rather pleasant experience. Looking forward to my own trip on the A380 in October (also FRA-SFO) :D .

Thank you for a very detailed trip report 8-).