SN501: 01JUN2012, BRU-JFK inauguration

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Bralo20

SN501: 01JUN2012, BRU-JFK inauguration

Post by Bralo20 »

Flightreport inaugurationflight Brussels Airlines SN501 BRU-JFK

Departure: BRU
Arrival: JFK
Flightnumber: SN501
Plane: Airbus A330-300, OO-SFW
Seat: 32H/32K exit/economy
STD: 10h20
ATD: 10h47 +/-
Runway: 25R
Loadfactor: 90% (estimated guess)
Cruise altitude: 11.636 meter / 38.165ft – 12.220m/ 40.100ft (landfall Canada)
Cruise speed: 864km - 885km/h

1) Check-in

Check-in wasn’t opened yet when we arrived at the counters, SN staff needed to figure out how the computer systems worked to check the ESTA and passport validly. After a small amount of time (give or take about 20 minutes) check-in was opened, our lugage was weighed and tags were applied. Carry on items were also labelled and a “real” boarding pass was handed upon request. Gate T61 was assigned to our aircraft but when we tried to pass the automatic gate at pier A (T is a closed section of A where SN’s AFI and now also TATL ops depart and arrive) denied access and send us to the B-pier. After a quick visit to SN’s counters they guided us and other passengers through the gate. Apparently there was a computer glitch that held us from entering the A-pier.

At gate T61 (just after customs) we were welcomed by SN’s friendly staff and everybody was invited to get a drink and a mini donut. CEO Bernard Gustin and the US ambassador to Belgium Howard Guttman gave an inauguration speech to celebrate the historic moment of Belgian’s national airline “Brussels Airlines” now to re-unite Brussels again with New York. Brussels-New York was the flagship route of the late Sabena, Belgian’s national carrier before they filed for bankruptcy back in 2001. Sabena, the second oldest airline in the world was one the first Europe based airlines to connect the European mainland with the United States. The first route was to JFK’s predecessor Idlewood Airport which later became JFK. Now after more then 10 years of absence a “SN” flight will land once again on JFK. Brussels Airlines carries a lot of his predecessor, it not only holds the same IATA code “SN” but it operates planes that once where used by the late Sabena while loads of people working at Brussels Airlines are former “Sabeniens” like they are called. Brussels Airlines also carries on the tradition to care about their passengers. The service is held upon high standards and passengers are feld welcome right from the moment they arrive at the airport. Every single SN agent wetter it was a desk agent, a gate agent, a flight attendant , purser or pilot welcomed us with a friendly smile while making time to have a small chit chat.

2) Embarking, take-off, inflight

The embarking of SN501 was quite smooth and the staff welcomed us with a big smile while giving us directions to our seats. Some of SN’s A333’s have already received the interior upgrade. This upgrade involves a complete new interior throughout the plane, award winning business seats with a 180° full flat bed, a 15” AVOD IFE system with connect ability for personal devices like iphones or ipads. The seats are nearly identical to these of sister company Swiss International Airlines but with some nice upgrades (bigger screen, etc…). In economy class you’ll notice the new seats that are a bit slimmer to the old seats and thus give more legroom for the passenger. The economy passenger can now rely on a 33” seat pitch witch is more then other airlines offer in economy. A new AVOD IFE system, with hours of entertainment with 10” screens has also been installed. The IFE system features an USB port which will load your personal devices like an iPhone or iPad. Unfortunately, compared to business class where one can actually look at their content on the IFE system, the port is only used to charge devices. Never less compared to the old offering (monitors throughout the cabin and no personal IFE) it’s a big step up from what it has been. Actually with the new seats, the AVOD IFE system and the very nice service from the cabin members you can actually say that SN is offering one of the best products on the Atlantic routes. As a frequent United Airlines flyer myself occasionally travelling with British Airways I can say that SN’s product in economy is the best around. Personally I don’t like flight cuisine as I shall name it, most of the time, even when flying business class, it’s edible but that’s all one can say about it. The offering is 90% of the time “chicken or pasta” and taste like “sh*t”. However, as I’m writing a report about the inauguration flight of Brussels Airlines flight 501 to New York JFK, I find it my duty :mrgreen: to have a taste of the food on offer. SN’s offering from BRU to JFK was an African Coriander Chicken or a Fish Ragout. The rare occasions I ate fish on a plane I found it quite reasonable however my luck runs mostly out on the chicken that is often dry and even chewy. So there we go, we take the chicken, pray to God and hope for the best yet prepare for the worst. As the dish was delivered it offered a decent sized (yet cold) bread, a nice fresh salad with chicken and parmesan cheese, a piece of Camembert cheese, a small cake and the main dish, the chicken dish. It all looked quite decent (remember, travelling in cattle class), and after tasting the salad I was quite surprised about the quality offered. It was certainly up to standards but don’t rush it I thought to myself, the main dish can be quite different. The chicken dish is a normal economy sized dish however I was quite surprised that there were quite some pieces of chicken in the dish together with a good amount of rice. After taking a bite of the rice and the chicken (which was in a sort of curry sauce) I was again surprised about the quality offered. The chicken tasted delicious, it was soft, moist and had a good taste to it. The rice was still moist too and tasted also delicious.. Never thought I would say this but damn, this was a decent quality meal. SN made quite an impression with it. 2h out of New York a genuine Belgian “Frisco” (icecream) was offered. An hour before landing a "wrap" or something was offered as a snack before arrival. SInce I don't like such wraps I've no idea if it's edible but I guess it wont be to bad.

During the flight the flight attendants came by frequently and were very attentive, they would offer drinks on regular times and with a small touch on the call button the were at your seat in less then a second. Being a big guy as I am I do tend to have a problem with regular economy seats when they are of the kind that are a bit small. I never have a problem on a Boeing 777 nor on a 767 and even not on a 757 but the A333 from SN does seem to feature quite small exit seats (yes, I choose exit seats because I’m also more then 2m tall). Seeing that it was a tight fit a flight attendant immediately offered other seats were the seat separation can be removed. I friendly declined this offer since I rather sit in a small chair, which is bearable then to sit into a cramped seat with no legroom. I find this very attentive of the FA’s and I thanked them for the kindness.

Seeing the FA’s busy on the flight and being friendly to all the passengers it reminded my to the old days of Sabena, right before Sabena became an acronym for “Such A Bad experience Never Again”. It reminded me to the old days of flying, the days when the customer was important, the days when an airline offered a decent product and where the customer was the king even when he flew in economy class (these days mostly called “cattle class”). Even in economy class every single beverage was free, wetter one would take a simple water or would take a gin-tonic of a scotch. I’ve enjoyed a very nice gin with some tonic that was offered with a small bag of pretzels and a napkin. While the beverages are offered in cups only (I didn’t ask for the can since they came by more then often to ask if one was thirsty) there were plenty of refill services available. When walking towards the galley to ask something they were just starting their meal. Since I didn’t want to disturb them I excused myself and tried to walk away but instead they insisted that they would help me. I rarely saw such a service, this gets more then 2 thumbs up from me. This level of standard would remain constant throughout the whole flight.

The flight itself was literally uneventful and was one of the smoothest flights I ever had in the past.

While SN’s A330’s are nearly the oldest birds flying they are very good maintained and fully up to standards. I only have a minor issue with the upgrade of the plane. While the planes received a complete overhaul of the interior with a brand spanking new interior it seems that they did actually forgot things and used them for the old configuration. While the interior of the lavatories were brand-new they did actually forget to overhaul the exterior and some parts of the “clothing” (think it’s a very thing layer of painted triplex wood) showing some wear. This could and should have been dealt with during the upgrade. I don’t understand how they could have missed that. However it has to be said that the plane was further in an immaculate condition.

3) Inflight Entertainment, aka IFE

Well, like said before SN is in the process of reconfiguring their long-haul fleet (A333 & A332 and this means that an state of the art IFE system was installed. It’s actually a quite unique system since it’s the wireless system of RAVE with all the content installed on flash memory build into the system. It features hours of audio (unfortunately they need to add more famous singers and groups to it since it’s content wasn’t to familiar to me (and I’m a big music lover). The system was loaded with loads of recent movies and Hollywood hits, thanks to the system one could choose from a couple of languages to have it dubbed or with subtitles. A lot of useful information about Brussels Airlines, the airports, etc… was loaded and loads of games were also available. The only minor glitch with the system is the fact that it’s sometimes a little slow in response. This could be improved but overall it’s a wonderful system that will provide sufficient entertainment for young and old on this flight

4) Inauguration

I’ve been on inauguration flights before and I attended inauguration events in the past. Al these events marked one thing. They were a happy celebration of a new flight, a new part in an airline’s history. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about SN’s inauguration of the JFK flight. JFK is and has been an important part in SN’s (Sabena / Brussels Airlines) history and they made very decent promotion about it. So one could say they were (initially) proud about this route. However, it seemed that this had vanished today on the day of the inauguration. Yes, they held a limited event with speeches of the CEO and the US ambassador, yes there was orange juice, coffee and donuts and there it stopped. If one wouldn’t knew about it nobody would ever know that today was the big day at the airport. Few banners reminded passengers that there was something to happen but if you didn’t look for it nobody would notice. One exception was the big amount of Belgian press at the inauguration, multiple camera crews and photographers were present to capture this true historic moment. Some of them flew with us to JFK and took some images during the flight. If one would think twice about it I would imagine that SN had second thoughts about it but they couldn’t back out of it and let it all happen. It wasn’t a true celebration, it was a formality and one that screamed “we do this because we have to” and not “we do this because we want to and we are proud about it”. I’m not sure what happened before the inauguration, are the bookings that bad? Every source is telling me that the bookings exceed expectations, that they are happy how things are going and that they are confident that it will be a successful route. However, today nearly told another story. What the reason is we don’t know but I’m guessing we’ll probably know it in the upcoming months. SN should be proud about this route, they are re-instating a flagship route, they are re-instating one of the original transatlantic routes and from what I see on this flight they have absolutely every single reason to be proud. The plane is nice, the staff is friendly (and they operate beyond the call of duty), the food is great, the load on this first flight is great, even the fares are quite competitive. What does an airline want more? God damn, be proud, be happy and f*cking celebrate this!

5) JFK

Totally beyond the control of Brussels Airlines lies the worst part of the trip... John F. Kennedy Airport... It all looked promising when the fire department gave us a watersalute but then the real JFK experience began. When we arrived at immigrations hundreds (and probably over a thousand) people were standing in line to pass immigration. An hour passed and we literally moved 5 meter during that timespan after nearly 2 hours they became smart and opened every single counter for every immigration and from that moment we were quite fast through but it took us from time to landing to the moment I picked up my luggage 3 hours... Way to much and JFK should do something about this. Normally I use IAD as my point of entry and the JFK experience tends to move me back to IAD again, even though SN's experience was much better then my previous flights with UA.

6) To conclude

To conclude this long trip report I would like to congratulate Brussels Airlines with the new route and the splendid service they are offering. I truly hope they succeed and that they will operate more TATL routes in the future. If they maintain this level of standard and if they get more connections at JFK I’ll be more then happy to dump United Airlines as my carrier of choice to cross the pond. I’ve always been a proud United Airlines users and they still are a great airline but for me, and this is not because I’m Belgian, Brussels Airlines exceeds every expectation that I had. For once in a long time I’m actually proud to say that I’m a Belgian and that Brussels Airlines is our national carrier (hopefully for the next couple of decades however I have may choose I would love it if they would bring the “Sabena” name back. Because let’s be honest, Brussels Airlines is and always will be (an improved) Sabena for many many people across the globe.

I'll add pictures later when I'm back at my hotelroom.

Bralo20

Re: SN501: 01JUN2012, BRU-JFK innauguration

Post by Bralo20 »

Some pictures:

Charlie Roy

SN501: 01JUN2012, BRU-JFK innauguration

Post by Charlie Roy »

Thanks for sharing those photos :-)

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Thx for the nice trip report!

Grtz

bruteboeing

Post by bruteboeing »

nice rerport and nice pics. thnx
Flown on: Boeing: 737 - 757 - 767- 777 | Avro: RJ85 RJ100 | MD-11 | L1011 | CRJ900 | Fokker 70 | Saab 2000

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

Many thanks for your trip report and beautiful photos! :D

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Very nice trip report report, Bralo20!
Good to see you've loved the SN experience and the new long haul product.
It is indeed by far the superior product on the market between BRU and NYC as you've come to experience first hand.

In fact, one of the good things about SN serving JFK is that it allows more people like you to get a first hand experience of what SN offers on long haul, because up until yesterday flying long haul on SN was something a little bit too exotic for most people around here, hence they had to rely on appreciations of alledged experts to get an idea of where SN stood and as you've experienced for yourself, those 'experts' really haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

FWIW, you've guessed the loadfactor fairly correctly: total load of your flight was 250 pax, or 87%.

Are you coming back in C like you had hoped, or will it be Y, because it would be great to have an early trip report from the premium cabin too...

travellover

Post by travellover »

:P The first trip report (in a series ...). Congratulations Bralo20 and thank you to give us your impressions and a taste of this very first SN ("come back") flight to JFK (pictures, JFK tower frequency with SN 501).
Last edited by travellover on 02 Jun 2012, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers

Skyman

r

Post by Skyman »

We can be very proud about this new flight. It's a new step for SN.

For Flanker: why are you here ? If it's only to be negative with all things about Brussels Airlines, please go away ! Is you life so boring to always put wrong and bad info in this forum ?

And before to speak about loadfactor, are you working for SN ?. I don't thing so , otherwise you'll know that :
- loadfactor are very good for the next 3 months !!!
- SN offers a very good product instead of the others airlines flying to NYC like UA, AA or US !!
- New and lovely uniform for cabin crew and ground operations agents : looks more dynamic

My dream was to work for Sabena, I know that it's will never been the same, but I'm proud with what happened now with SN, it's a new start and let's hope that a lot of new of successfull things like new flight to JFK wil happen in the next years !

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for excellent report. Just one small remark: JFK's former name was Idlewild, not Idlewood.

To Flanker: for as far as I know, SN works jup to the highest safety standards. This is confimed by several SN pilots that I know. And I used to work myself for SN Technics (which was not yet called so in my time) for which I also can confirm the stringent safety procedures.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

I suggest to bury this conversation, the airline has enough problems already as it is.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

tolipanebas wrote:
Are you coming back in C like you had hoped, or will it be Y, because it would be great to have an early trip report from the premium cabin too...
It will be cattle since I don't hope for a op-up and since UA won't upgrade my SN ticket with miles since only Y & B tickets (by SN) can be upgraded to business for UA.

I'd really love to cover both cabins but it just won't happen I guess... :(

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

Hey Bralo20 . Thx a lot for this great trip report. Now I'm definitely planning on going to the US with SN.
I hope SN can maintain that high level of service(because on an inaugural flight they'll always be doing their absolute best iso a 'normal day at work, which in most cases is a huge difference).
Will you also.be doing a RT trip report?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

THX for this great report !
Nice to have an 'insider' on this site for reporting this service !

Have a great time in the big apple !

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

It's nice to see SN doing so well, just a shame about the immigration at JFK. Also saw your TR pop up on Flyertalk, which is not entirely unexpected I guess.
still, now I know flying SN across the pond is definitely worth it, and it must be said, 33" pitch in Y is not bad at all.
That said, I hope you do manage to get a return in C somehow.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

@Treeper: I'll be making a report on the returnflight also. So I hope that SN does well on SN502 at 10JUN2012 :mrgreen:

@Cathay: Thx, but I think NYC isn't much for me, I'm driving arround grumpy as hell due the horrible traffic, driving is nuts here. Washington, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Montreal, etc... is much more fun to drive in then NYC. :mrgreen:

@WC_Eend: Yup, nice for SN and truly a shame of the immigration, nearly every passenger was complaining about it (2,5 hours wait is waaaay to much so it's normal people complain) but fortunately this isn't something that SN made a fault at. And I'm sure in the end all the passengers knew that.

Return will be in Y unfortunately, I don't believe in Saint-Nicolas anymore but I have to admit, I would love to write a report of SN's new C-class :( But fortunately return in Y is bearable if I get the same seat ;)

Next time (don't know if it will be this year) I'll probably book my tickets through United Airlines instead, that way I can upgrade with my miles and at this moment UA is even cheaper then SN on SN metal :mrgreen:

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Hmm, my returnflight has vanished from SN's site and it doesn't recognize my bookingreference. Do I need to start worrying? :mrgreen: Think I'll contact SN about this :lol:

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer »

t will be cattle since I don't hope for a op-up and since UA won't upgrade my SN ticket with miles since only Y & B tickets (by SN) can be upgraded to business for UA.

I'd really love to cover both cabins but it just won't happen I guess...
Good. Upgrades on promotional rock bottom economy fares are not the way to go if you want to make a X-Atlantic service work.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Happy landings,

Chrisflyer

Bralo20

SN501: 01JUN2012, BRU-JFK innauguration

Post by Bralo20 »

It works with UA and it's not "free". 30.000 miles + about 500 usd for a one way upgrade

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Thank you very much for your report... as passenger on this inauguration flight, I do totally share your opinion! It recalls me fond memories!