BA off stand busing typical @ BRU?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
shogan1977

BA off stand busing typical @ BRU?

Post by shogan1977 »

I recently flew with BA to LHR to connect to a longhaul flight at LHR.

I was surprised to be bused from the terminal to our aircraft. Is this typical for BA at BRU. Are their not enough air bridges in the morning?

Megaman

Re: BA off stand busing typical @ BRU?

Post by Megaman »

What's the bad deal with busses? Everytime I pass through munich, I always get a bus to and from (except on Longhaul planes). It allows for a much more efficient use of available space no? (and is a lot cheaper I would imagine). No one seems to complain over there and the transit is always super efficient. I'm never offended. I prefer taking a bus if that means walking less (my main issue with BRU although I do like the GDF heat sensor in the underground walkway)

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

shogan1977 wrote:I recently flew with BA to LHR to connect to a longhaul flight at LHR.

I was surprised to be bused from the terminal to our aircraft. Is this typical for BA at BRU. Are their not enough air bridges in the morning?
Happens quite often on the flight around 9 AM, lack of space indeed. 204 Is usually occupied so they put the BA flight on one of the 3XX stands.
Mirror

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

BRU helps me stay healthy by forcing me to walk several kilometers every time. On the other hand that bus-thing is a scandal. We should get "frequent bus rider" miles every time they mess up with our health!
;)

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Try the bus with a stroller and a pair of children, not even talking about cold/rain/heat/snow.
Bridges are heaven!

I seem to remember BA making a point of using a bridge, and one as close as possible to the terminal I might add, unless they changed their mind, I think they will not be amused by this bus scenario.

regi

Post by regi »

To Megaman:
A BA A320 with > passengers on board, going in a bus. It is February and wet snow is whooshing around the airport.
It takes some minutes to disembark out of a normal temperature airplane outside in the cold. People in front of you are slow to decent from the stairs, wobbling around with those trolleys on the stairs.
Oops, first bus is full and the next bus has not arived yet. But hey, you feel fine with that rain and snow dripping along your neck because you have the idea that you save money. Good for you.
Next bus arrives and you can descent further from the stairs , walk in the nice smell of kerosine towards the bus , enter a bus with murky windows , being pushed a bit around and been shouted at by the driver to move to the back. Oh, such a great feeling that you help environment by filling the bus completely.
During the bus ride enfluenza infested co-passengers sneeze in your direction but you don't mind. A trolley lands on your foot, but no worry, all in the name of cost reduction.
Eventually you come at a building you have to enter, again in normal temperatures.
Walking down the terminal building , you see other passengers disembark through airbridges and you shake your head : "Stupid morons, you could have saved so much money"

Having been bussed in Gulf States, you can replace snow and rain by >40 °C temperatures which make you swet in a blink, great when you enter than an ice cold airconditioned airport.
And having been bussed at 6am in Johannesburg out of a utterly full 747, it took us 30 minutes standing there on a remote stand in a chilly wind, with summer clothes on.
All in the name of saving.

Almost forgot some special buss operations: in Turkey where we all had to hand pick our luggage from the tarmac. Or Saigon where guards shout at you not to take pictures of the highly sensitive secret Tan Son Nat airport.

Bus or airbridge? Come on, that is no choice.

cnc

Post by cnc »

regi wrote:To Megaman:
A BA A320 with > passengers on board, going in a bus. It is February and wet snow is whooshing around the airport.
It takes some minutes to disembark out of a normal temperature airplane outside in the cold. People in front of you are slow to decent from the stairs, wobbling around with those trolleys on the stairs.
Oops, first bus is full and the next bus has not arived yet. But hey, you feel fine with that rain and snow dripping along your neck because you have the idea that you save money. Good for you.
Next bus arrives and you can descent further from the stairs , walk in the nice smell of kerosine towards the bus , enter a bus with murky windows , being pushed a bit around and been shouted at by the driver to move to the back. Oh, such a great feeling that you help environment by filling the bus completely.
During the bus ride enfluenza infested co-passengers sneeze in your direction but you don't mind. A trolley lands on your foot, but no worry, all in the name of cost reduction.
Eventually you come at a building you have to enter, again in normal temperatures.
Walking down the terminal building , you see other passengers disembark through airbridges and you shake your head : "Stupid morons, you could have saved so much money"
i agree with you but did you know flightcare and aviapartner have stairs with a roof? some of them are fully closed on the sides too.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

shogan1977 wrote:I recently flew with BA to LHR to connect to a longhaul flight at LHR.

Correct. Around that time it's peak time for the wide bodies (all US carriers, 9W, AC). It's got nothing to do with cost savings

Also note the fact that in the afternoon some regional a/c are parked at a docking gates. Pax must then walk to to terminal.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

regi wrote:To Megaman:

Having been bussed in Gulf States, you can replace snow and rain by >40 °C temperatures which make you swet in a blink, great when you enter than an ice cold airconditioned airport.
And having been bussed at 6am in Johannesburg out of a utterly full 747, it took us 30 minutes standing there on a remote stand in a chilly wind, with summer clothes on.
All in the name of saving.

Almost forgot some special buss operations: in Turkey where we all had to hand pick our luggage from the tarmac. Or Saigon where guards shout at you not to take pictures of the highly sensitive secret Tan Son Nat airport.

Bus or airbridge? Come on, that is no choice.
djeezes man, it's just a less then 5 min bus drive... even the big boys at Abelag get bussed to their private jets!

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

a not so serious thought: BA could lobby for the UK to join the schengen zone, than there might be bridge available at the a pier for them :D
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

BA should have the airbridges, the prices of their tickets are ridiculously high.
I think you would be thinking when leaving the aircraft and see the bus, and this what you get when you pay 378 euro paid for an return.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I fully agree with regi's and bright cedars' posts, yesterday and I think we should at least get double frequent flyer miles everytime we are bussed to or from an aircraft instead of having the convenience of a jetbridge.
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Post by regi »

It seems that I sounded a bit too sarcastic but I mentioned 4 times the temperature shock.
I am very sensitive for this, and I get very quickly a sour troat.
It is OK if you are prepared for it. But who expects to be bussed at Brussels or the new Abu Dhabi airport?
My worst experience was when I got pneumonia around New year, having been transfered in the cold 2 times, with just a sweater on. I was not carrying a winterjacket during a 2 week trip in SE Asia to be prepared for bad and cold weather upon return :|
It happens quickly, just some minutes is enough.
So to put it differently: stairs are a health hazard!

Oh yes, right, that is why at many colder airports there are (some) covered stairs available. But not for all airplanes, not for all the types.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

hi,
indeed i don,t care for bying bussed flying with ei or ezy,fr but i also didn,t expect this for a ba flight that aren,t that cheap eather,
it isn,t that bad in summer but in any other season ?
cx-b
and yes regi my trouth also reacts immediately on these facts and five days of suffering green stuff out of my body isn,t that fun !
New types flown 2022.. A339