AMS-MIA-SJO, SJO-MIA-AMS with martinair

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
EBOS87

AMS-MIA-SJO, SJO-MIA-AMS with martinair

Post by EBOS87 »

Here is the flight report, pictures will be soon available.

After having slept in the IBIS hotel in Badhoevedorp – you have there a fantastic view on the airport – we could go to San José (Costa Rica) via Miami with Martinair Holland, the flightnumber was MP645. Check-in was quick (we were there 3 hours before departure), but I was quite disappointed because all the window seats were already occupied. The MP-lady said it was due to the high amount of transfer passengers from some KLM flights. Luckily she could arrange some window seats for the return flight…
Our plane was the PH-MCH (Prins Constantijn – 1990) and it stood already at our gate (G8). Schiphol is according to me the most beautiful airport of Europe, you can see there so much beauties…. Next to our plane stood first an Singapore airlines Megatop and afterwards an Garuda 747. I saw as well an Holland Exel aircraft passing (PH-AHQ). Before boarding we had to pass some other security checks. Boarding went not so fast, but I could reach my seat fast, unfortunately my seat was at the end of the aircraft (39B). Load factor was 100%. Push back was one hour too late because an economy class chair had to be changed to a star class chair. So departure was at 10:50. The captain informed us that we had to fly 9 hours and 40 minutes… It was a long time, but it was an excellent flight: seat pitch was OK, comfortable chairs, good entertainment, good food, friendly crew. Some people say that Martinair is old-fashioned, but I like in fact there planes and livery. I even have to admit that they are much better than other vacation airlines.
Arrival at Miami was half an hour too late and there we had to pass the immigration desk and afterwards we could sit in an ugly transfer hall. Miami International is the ugliest airfield I have ever seen and the staff there is unfriendly!! Departure from MIA was as well 30 minutes too late. The flight to SJO lasted 2h30min. The load factor on that flight was only 60%, so I could change to another seat(s)… The service was again typical for MP, this means ‘ALL INCLUSIVE’! Arrival was a bit too late in San Jose Juan Santamaria International Airport (very good airport).
After two weeks of vacation we had to return to Belgium. The return flight was the MP646. At the check-in counter they told us the plane had an delay of 3 hours because the immigration in MIA had checked everyone very good…. The plane landed indeed 3 hours too late in SJO, it was the PH-MCI (Prins Pieter-Christiaan –1991). Boarding went now very quick, my seat was again in the back of the plane (39A => window seat!!). Load factor was now 70%. We flew 2 hours 20 minutes to MIA. In Miami we had to pass (at midnight) a lot of checks and controls, it was terrible :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . I have never experienced something like that. There were there some ladies of Martinair and they helped the people very good. The flight to Amsterdam lasted 8hours 15 minutes, we arrived there 2hours too late (the plane could fly very fast: 1020km/h 8O ). Service was again excellent and they made an effort to let the people as long as possible.

This was the second time I flew with Martinair and it was again perfect. Martinair is my favourite airline because they offer a good flight for a low price (+-€800). I would also like to congratulate MP with their care for kids and their great ‘Keep on moving’ videos. These are some exercises with your arms, legs and head to avoid the economy class syndrom. It was so funny…
:P :P

Stefan

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Great report, EBOS87!! Martinair is a nice airline. I've flown them a long time ago to Heraklion, Crete (MD11/B767). Although they are operating mostly as a charter, they offer a Business Class.
Push back was one hour too late because an economy class chair had to be changed to a star class chair
Very extraordinary. I've never heard of such an action. Do they this frequently? ;)

EBOS87

MP to SJO

Post by EBOS87 »

Here are the pictures:

http://users.skynet.be/burke/martinair.htm

Stefan

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Interesting report indeed.
Nice to hear the MP was fine, as I had heard other, less positive experience, which was the reason why I elected to fly BRU-EWR-SJO-EWR-BRU with Continental two years ago (also +/- 800 EUR). It was a rather nice experience - but as you I found the immigration experience a nuisance...they do not seem to have transit halls in the US - why immigrate if you are going to leave again a few hours later.
EWR was very good for spotting (I had a 4 hours stop over).
SJO is indeed an intersting and newly refurbished airport...as to Costa rica I have little to say as I stayed there for hardly 48 hours :-(

Air_Lac

A318

Post by A318 »

Nice report but I don't understand you reasons to complain about immigration in MIA. I never had any problems and the staff stays as friendly as possible, just don't play with them since that will end the friendly part. Don't forget MIA is one of the bussiest airports in the US and they have to deal with everything in high amounts, illegals, drugs and cocain smugglers and biggest fear for them now are terrorist attacks. I should not stand with a smile there also but just be concentrated at my job. Biggest plus from MIA in my opinion, finally an airport that checks you shoes!
Besides all this I do agree MP is a nice airline but the seat pitch with KLM and the quality of food is just a higher standard........so is the price, also higher ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very nice report Stefan :P

The pictures are also very nice ;)

Chris

moons

Post by moons »

I flew Martinair 3 years ago to Orlando on their 767 called "Koningin Beatrix" , if I'm not mistaken this plane lay-out has been decorated with Pokémon figures :lol:
Service was indeed good

luchtzak

Re: MP to SJO

Post by luchtzak »

EBOS87 wrote:Here are the pictures
Stefan,

would you mind sending me some bigger pictures of those airlinemeals with a short description?

greetings and thanks!

Bart
:rock: