CAG-FCO-BRU with Alitalia

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

CAG-FCO-BRU with Alitalia

Post by sn26567 »

I had booked a tour in Sardinia with a group from my University, with all 4 flights on Alitalia. The outbound flights from Brussels to Milan Linate and further to Alghero are described in this topic. This report describes the return flights from Cagliari to Rome Fiumicino and further to Brussels.

We arrived at Cagliari airport 2 and a half hours before departure. That was too early to check in for our flight and we had to wait half an hour before the check-in staff accepted us. Meanwhile, the scheduled departure time (19:25) was changed to an estimated 20:00. With only 45 minutes to change planes in FCO, this promised some trouble...

At 17:30 our group went to the 6 available Alitalia check-in desks, where all the staff collected and labelled our baggage (through to Brussels, with a bright orange label 'SHORT CONN' which was going to be useful) and distributed our boarding passes.

I asked for the usual window seat, and was surprised to get it for both flights (in Brussels the lady at the desk told me that all seats of the group had been pre-assigned and that she could not change).

After passing the controls (with the now usual beep due to my newly installed metal hip prosthesis), I bought the traditional Sardinian booze called 'Mirto' and settled in a seat for a rather long wait.

The incoming flight from Rome FCO arrived at 19:25, its due departure time from Cagliari. I thought it would be difficult to leave at 20:00 and was already planning for a night in Rome at the expense of Alitalia...

Flight: Alitalia AZ 1596 CAG-FCO (codeshared with Air France)
Date: 18 SEP 2011
Aircraft: Airbus A321 reg. EI-IXU
Seat: 31A
(window seat behind the wing)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 19:25/20:15 (GMT + 2)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 20:30/21:14 (GMT + 2)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 05 min / 0 hr 59 min

Boarding started at 19:52 and was completed at 20:13. Pushback at 20:15. Announcements in Italian and English. Service on board by three stewards with a 3-day beard (not allowed for SN staff, but very trendy in Italy) and one stewardess. The flight was full at 98%.

There was a slot for credit card on the back of each seat. I still wonder what this is for...

Again no meal service, but free non-alcoholic drinks accompanied by either salty or sweet cookies. I wanted to chose the delicious red orange juice, but this was not available anymore only after 5 rows being served, I thus setlled for a mango juice, which was also quite good, with salty cookies.

After a perfect landing, we stopped on the apron at 21:14, far away from the terminal, and had to wait a few minutes for two buses to pick us up and take us to the terminal. Time wa seeming VERY long, as our next flight was scheduled at 21:15.

But when the buses arrived at the terminal, a nice surprise: an Alitalia employee with a billboard "Brussels" was waiting for us and rushed us through the long corridors to Terminal D, gate 02, where our next flight was still waiting for us. 175 passengers were waiting for our group of 25. And for some older people in our group, it was a long walk.

Another Alitalia employee took similarly a few passengers to the Tel Aviv flight.

Flight: Alitalia AZ 164 FCO-BRU (codeshared with Air France)
Date : 18 SEP 2011
Aircraft: Airbus A321 reg. EI-IXO
Seat: 35A
(window seat in the next to last row)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 21:15/21:48 (GMT + 2)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 23:30/23:41 (GMT + 2)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 2 hr 15 min / 1 hr 53 min

The load factor was 100%, both in C and in Y, with some people on the waiting list who could not board the plane.

The 2 steward and the 2 stewardesses served the same “meal” as in the previous flights, together with non-alcoholic drinks, beer or wine (at no charge). This time I selected a well-earned beer with the salty cookies. But we didn't have any real meal since lunch....
Service on board of A321 AZ164 FCO-BRU
Service on board of A321 AZ164 FCO-BRU
No problems during the flight: the palne made up some of the delay and we had a nice landing on 25L and an arrival only 11 minutes late, a big surprise after departing 50 minutes late. The biggest surprise was that the baggage also made it, with less than 34 minutes of transfer time in Rome!

As a conclusion, good flights, despite the very late departure of the first one. Kudos for Alitalia for having well organised the very short transfer in Rome. But not exceptional flights, again because of the poor offer of food; only on the last flight was it possible to get beer and wine.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bob_Marcotte

Re: CAG-FCO-BRU with Alitalia

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

1) You were extremely lucky you made the connection in Rome.
2) You're even luckier the bags made it on the same plane as you to Brussels :o
3) Excellent trip report, enjoyed reading it !

regi

Post by regi »

I am totally flabbergasted by this so positive report. OK, no real food. But the rest was well organised. Who does run Alitalia these days? ;)
The matter of the credit card slots still has to be solved...

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

regi wrote: The matter of the credit card slots still has to be solved...
It is built in the seat so that it is possible for the airline to charge you for the IFE.

See an example here: (scroll down to the bottom) : http://www.jetblue.com/about/whyyoullli ... oviesnmore

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
regi wrote: The matter of the credit card slots still has to be solved...
It is built in the seat so that it is possible for the airline to charge you for the IFE.

See an example here: (scroll down to the bottom) : http://www.jetblue.com/about/whyyoullli ... oviesnmore
Is this offered by Alitalia, or is it because it is on airplanes that come from somewhere else where it was used?

Stij

Post by Stij »

"FCO", "bags", "connection"and "made it" in the same sentence???
It's miracle time! Evidence? Elio is getting a government on track and bags actually make connections in FCO! What's next, cancer cured?

Cheers,

Stij

Comet

Post by Comet »

Nice report Andre. Wish all planes had those screens so you could watch the map display, haven't experienced one of those since December 2006.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Comet wrote:Nice report Andre. Wish all planes had those screens so you could watch the map display, haven't experienced one of those since December 2006.
According to this article, the personal Alitalia IFE should give you the moving map (at least on some flights) :

http://cencio4.wordpress.com/2011/03/09 ... ic-routes/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I did get the map only on a small part of the flight between BRU and AHO. On the domestic flights, the screens were used only for safety demonstrations (bilingual Italian-English), and on international flights, besides the safety demonstrations, mainly for showing sport stunts (football, surfing, etc.).

A poor use of those screens, IMHO.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Last time we experienced the inflight screen was on an A319 of British Airways. Apart from the safety video before take off, it was used just to show the map from what I remember. I like to see the info the map provides, as well as route you also get height, outside air temperature and speed, which is nice to see, not forgetting miles and time to destination. We first encountered the maps on Air New Zealand, and they were good, especially on the long overnighter to SYD seeing all those exotic Pacific islands on the display.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise