Flight Report : EK A380 DXB-BKK (Business Class)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
capetown

Flight Report : EK A380 DXB-BKK (Business Class)

Post by capetown »

Hi,

in the second half of April, I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks of holiday in South-East Asia :) . Spent about 1 week in wonderful Laos (Luang Prabang), and 1 week in Southern Thailand. To get to Thailand in the first place, I opted for EK - as they fly that fabulous A380 between DXB and BKK (the flight then goes on to HKG). I flew the DXB-BKK route last November, and was so thrilled by the A380 experience, that, this time, I booked the trip in Business Class. What a great experience this was.... :thumbup:
What follows is a short report on the DXB-BKK flight EK384 I enjoyed on April 15th. (FYI - I flew an EK 777 to DXB from AMS).

Don’t look for technical details in this report. It’s more about showing you how amazing this EK A380 business class experience is.

So, here are the flight details according to the template suggested by the webmaster :

Flight: EK384
Date : 15 04 2011
Aircraft: Airbus A380-800 reg. A6-EDK
From-To: Dubai - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (DXB-BKK)
Seat: 23K
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 03:15 / 03:40 (GMT + 4)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 12:25/12:40 (GMT +7)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 06 hrs 10 mins/ 06 hrs 00 mins

So, after a rather smooth flight from AMS, I arrived at DXB at around midnight local time. The airport was crowdy as always around this time, as many flights from Europe, Africa and North America come in and flights to Asia are leaving …

After plenty of time spent in the rather spacious EK Business Class Lounge (occupies quite a considerable section of the first floor of Terminal 3) and after, hm, a couple of glasses of champagne, it was time to board the A380 with reg.nr. A6-EDK at gate 232.

Here's a pic taken from one of the upper ramps used for boarding first & business class passengers. Very smooth process after all.
FIMG_2557.jpg

Ok, once on board, the spaciousness of EK's Business Class configuration is striking. With the help of some specialized websites, I had found out that 23K would be one of the 'best' seats available in business (not too far from, but also not too close to the lounge bar in the back - which, according to what I read - is a great place for socializing so it can get a bit noisy back there ;)).

So here I am, all set in 23K. Very confortable seats, with massage feature, and, of course, they go fully flat.
FIMG_2561.jpg

People are still boarding (not a full flight (at least, not in business)) :
FIMG_2564.jpg

Time for a (well, yet another :twisted:) glass of champagne, and have a look around ...
Some other fellow passengers waiting for take off.
FIMG_2563.jpg

Obviously, a little movie tells a lot more than 2 pics so here we go :

Movie starts with a close up of my own personal minibar ... non-alcoholic drinks - for the ‘real’ stuff, ask your favourite flight attendant or go to the back and grab a cocktail in the lounge bar...
PS Don't mind my feet at 0:40" - they're just very enthusiastic about all the space they'd get during this flight :P

By the way, you also get your own Emirates travel kit (with a selection of Bulgari products inside...)

As the flight wasn't full, and there was a small delay due to heavy traffic at DXB, I sneaked a bit more towards the front of the cabin, and took this picture from another seat (row 20) - gives you a better idea of how spacious this whole setting is. I also like the mood lighting system. Relaxes you even more (on top of the massage features of your seat, and the champagne, of course )...
FIMG_3051.jpg

Talking of champagne, here's an excerpt from the inflight menu - wines section... :)
FIMG_2570.jpg

Not the sharpest picture, but here's a hint at what the inflight dining experience looks like :
p2571
IMG_2571.JPG
Ok, ready for take-off. First push back and taxiing: for the best experience, put on the TailCam on your Inflight ICE entertainment system !

And now the real stuff - take off and climbing out over Dubai... One of the lavatory doors wasn't well shut, and that is the rattling noise you hear on this video. The noise shouldn't have been there, of course, but it's really an eye (or should I say, "ear") opener as to how silent this aircraft really is : you just barely hear any engines at all ... that's proven once again towards the end of this movie, when you hear the flight attendant announcing the languages spoken by the crew on this flight (first in arabic, then in english).

Owkay, airborne (with some 25 minutes delay) : waiting for another drink, then "breakfast" (always quite a weird experience when you travel long haul through different time zones : most people travelling from Europe are still in "late night" mode and tend to order red wine with their breakfast :roll: ), and then : OFF TO THE LOUNGE BAR ! :twisted:

But before doing so, I was in doubt whether to take my inflight entertainment system with me : yes, you can : besides your personal TV screen, you have a portable device which you can use both for manipulating your seat, reading lamp etc.., AND to watch TV, movies, etc... (ICE has about 1200 movies available - I watched some episodes of my favourite show Family Guy ;) ).

Here's me playing around with this device. Sorry once again but image not as sharp as it should be ...

Finally, left the device at my seat and went off to check out the bar ...

And here it is : the lounge bar ! There’s a list of approx. 12 cocktails (plus straight liquor,including Hennessy XO, and other great stuff), but ask for any cocktail and the crew will do its utmost best to give you what you want ...

Here's flight attendant Sonia from Spain serving a Russian passenger.
FIMG_3052.jpg
Then doing the same thing with two US retired servicemen on their way to "exciting Thailand, man. We’re gonna have a party time, man!" :P
FIMG_3053.jpg
The thing is, when in the bar, chatting with the crew and other passengers, time really passes by (or should I say : time flies?) … here we are, flying south of India’s Gujarat state, heading towards Mumbai…
IMG_2581.JPG
Well, and so this went on and on and on … spent about 3.5 hours in the bar, having the time of my life.
Here’s another movie giving you an overview of this unique place in the sky.

Went back to my seat approx. 1.5 hours before landing in BKK – it would be a shame not to have tested the seats in fully flat position. And believe me, it’s a real treat. Had sweet dreams just to wake up in sticky hot Bangkok, landing at 12.40 pm local time (36c at noon, April is the hottest month and the period you should avoid Bangkok alltoghether – but in my humble opinion, Thailand is not a place to be avoided at all – lovely people, lovely food, and a beautiful place )…

Thanks for reading , and, if one day you think about doing this : just DO it – you only live once !

Cheerz … :P

sn26567

Re: Flight Report : EK A380 DXB-BKK (Business Class)

Post by sn26567 »

Great report (and great airline). Thanks for sharing.
André
ex Sabena #26567

fretn

Post by fretn »

That bar looks awesome, something I will surely save for as soon as I start working!

regi

Post by regi »

You lucky B...
No envy, good that you had this experience and shared it with us.
Carpe Diem !

capetown

Post by capetown »

Well, yeah, lucky B- indeed ;) - But this being said (and without wanting to restart a topic on Emirates' and other Gulf carriers' alleged unfair competition) - the ticket price is very affordable. I don't think it is a common thing to discuss prices on this forum, but let me tell you : return fare (in EURO) in business class was obviously a 4 digit number, but it started with a "1", whereas before booking, I checked similar flights with European carriers and with both TG and SQ, and there, fares would always start with a "2" (followed by a "6" or higher), and frequently, even with a "3". So the Carpe Diem experience in the A380 lounge bar should be within reach for most aviation enthusiasts... :P

regi

Post by regi »

capetown wrote:Well, yeah, lucky B- indeed ;) - But this being said (and without wanting to restart a topic on Emirates' and other Gulf carriers' alleged unfair competition) - the ticket price is very affordable. I don't think it is a common thing to discuss prices on this forum, but let me tell you : return fare (in EURO) in business class was obviously a 4 digit number, but it started with a "1", whereas before booking, I checked similar flights with European carriers and with both TG and SQ, and there, fares would always start with a "2" (followed by a "6" or higher), and frequently, even with a "3". So the Carpe Diem experience in the A380 lounge bar should be within reach for most aviation enthusiasts... :P
That was a nice pick. :)
Besides of some rarerities as Mahan Air, Biman and similar "no no's" , I have only seen those very low business class tickets at certain times, to some destinations with Turkish.
And has it not been mentioned here already that Turkish its expansion program is so similar to what Emirates is doing? Hakan can tell us more about it, I suppose.

Flanders

Post by Flanders »

regi wrote:Besides of some rarerities as Mahan Air, Biman and similar "no no's" , I have only seen those very low business class tickets at certain times, to some destinations with Turkish.
And Egypt Air but their Business Class product is not exactly as good as that of the well known Middle Eastern Carriers. You can earn M&M miles with Egypt though, which is a plus.

Very nice report btw!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice report! I am also dreaming of a flight with the A380 ;-)

capetown

Post by capetown »

Thanks to all for your nice comments.
Flanders wrote:regi wrote:
Besides of some rarerities as Mahan Air, Biman and similar "no no's" , I have only seen those very low business class tickets at certain times, to some destinations with Turkish.

And Egypt Air but their Business Class product is not exactly as good as that of the well known Middle Eastern Carriers. You can earn M&M miles with Egypt though, which is a plus.

Well, I don't earn any commission on EK or QR flight tickets sold, but nevertheless, just try both airlines' website, and check (just as a benchmark) their prices for flying business from Europe to Bangkok. You'll see that their fares are really very competitive (although EK does increase its fares during European summer season (fares after August 20th drop by almost 35%) - AMS-DXB-BKK (and DXB-BKK on the A380!) is then available at 2018 EUR (small increase compared to when I booked but probably due to increased fuel prices and/or exchange rates) ; QR does not seem to have this European summer price increase and offers (taking all circumstances into account) very reasonably priced business class flights all year round - although, with them, you won't be flying the A380 (yet), AND you'll have to transit through crappy Doha airport (although the new airport scheduled to enter into operation in 2012 should be a major improvement) - (positive) reverse side of the medal - direct flight ex-BRU)... ;)

regi

Post by regi »

2018 € for Ams- BKK with a stop in Dubai in business sounds nice.
But when you compare it with our booking with Qantas in July for 1500 € all together for 2 adults and a child in economy Bru-LHR-BKK, you start to think: is it worth?
Yes, it is worth it if you can pay it, if you want to pay it, and if you appreciate the goodies.
Parallel worlds...
Still, nice experience you had.
( about the Egypt air reply: do they offer business class long haul for < 2000 € ?)

capetown

Post by capetown »

regi wrote:2018 € for Ams- BKK with a stop in Dubai in business sounds nice.
But when you compare it with our booking with Qantas in July for 1500 € all together for 2 adults and a child in economy Bru-LHR-BKK, you start to think: is it worth?
Yes, it is worth it if you can pay it, if you want to pay it, and if you appreciate the goodies.
Parallel worlds...
Couldn't agree more. I only took this decision (I was traveling for leisure) because I love that airplane so much, I wanted to test the business class product of EK on the A380 (succeeded magna cum laude - although that only applies to the A380, the 777 seats were less comfortable, especially in the upright position), I travel solo (went to visit some thai friends of mine), and its just fantastic to fly this gigantic airliner which, for the time being, is still rather "unique" in the skies... The pitfall, however, is that there IS a considerable difference in comfort - you arrive on your destination much more relaxed. Quite a difference. Same for the treat EK gives you (lounge access, priority boarding, priority customs control at BKK airport (which really is nice given the sometimes aweful queues...) Not sure whether I will ever be able to go back to economy class long haul again - except for budgetary reasons, that is ;) !

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Capetown, the B777 seats were less comfortable because on the AMS route they put one of the older 777's. I always fly first and except for the showers and the bar I could not find any difference between the 380 and 777.

capetown

Post by capetown »

Flanders wrote:
regi wrote:Besides of some rarerities as Mahan Air, Biman and similar "no no's" , I have only seen those very low business class tickets at certain times, to some destinations with Turkish.

Very nice report btw!
The cheapest business class offer available on the AMS-BKK route seems to be China Airlines (approx. 1640 EUR return ticket, high season - European summer, that is). Remember, this is a direct flight. The reviews, however, are not incredibly positive about the product. Still worthwile keeping this one in mind...

regi

Post by regi »

capetown wrote:
Flanders wrote:

Very nice report btw!
The cheapest business class offer available on the AMS-BKK route seems to be China Airlines (approx. 1640 EUR return ticket, high season - European summer, that is). Remember, this is a direct flight. The reviews, however, are not incredibly positive about the product. Still worthwile keeping this one in mind...
I enjoyed once the thick leather cushions of China Airlines AMS-BKK. Just once. But nice. :P Thanks to a free upgrade because of overbooking.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

capetown wrote: The cheapest business class offer available on the AMS-BKK route seems to be China Airlines (approx. 1640 EUR return ticket, high season - European summer, that is).
The Egyptair (mentioned befor) is even cheaper this summer from AMS-BKK : 1506 Euro. I read very different reviews, some very bad, some very good. Seems ok if you fly in one of their new aircrafts.

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
capetown wrote: The cheapest business class offer available on the AMS-BKK route seems to be China Airlines (approx. 1640 EUR return ticket, high season - European summer, that is).
The Egyptair (mentioned befor) is even cheaper this summer from AMS-BKK : 1506 Euro. I read very different reviews, some very bad, some very good. Seems ok if you fly in one of their new aircrafts.
Friends who took Egyptair to BKK ( mostly from BRU) had mixed reactions from "Never again" to "I have booked my next flight already"
First of all: you have about 5 hours transfer in Cairo. That is a bit long.
Secondly: if something goes wrong at Cairo, it doesn't help a lot that Egyptair is in the Star Alliance group. (they won't fly you back to FRA on a LH flight to travel further with LH or Swiss or Thai ) Friends got stuck for 2 days in a hotel which they were forbidden to leave. Great. :roll:
Third: yes, there is a huge difference in quality depending on the airplane you travel.
If I would travel alone and want to pay for business class, I would certainly opt for the China Airlines ticket.
But again - as always - first check in persona with your travel agent. He might have a hidden deal, nowhere anounced on the internet. 8-)

capetown

Post by capetown »

regi wrote:
andorra-airport wrote:
Friends who took Egyptair to BKK ( mostly from BRU) had mixed reactions from "Never again" to "I have booked my next flight already"
First of all: you have about 5 hours transfer in Cairo. That is a bit long.
Secondly: if something goes wrong at Cairo, it doesn't help a lot that Egyptair is in the Star Alliance group. (they won't fly you back to FRA on a LH flight to travel further with LH or Swiss or Thai ) Friends got stuck for 2 days in a hotel which they were forbidden to leave. Great. :roll:
Third: yes, there is a huge difference in quality depending on the airplane you travel.
If I would travel alone and want to pay for business class, I would certainly opt for the China Airlines ticket.
But again - as always - first check in persona with your travel agent. He might have a hidden deal, nowhere anounced on the internet. 8-)
Given that the price difference is rather limited between CI and MS, I'd definitely opt for CI too - direct flight versus flying over Cairo with long transit hours to kill ... Although apparently, MS's 777's are rather very confortable - what i read about business class on CI's 747-400s is less promising (as already posted). Or did you enjoy the leather cushions on an A340 (or different), Regi ?

http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/ci-f.htm

regi

Post by regi »

no no, it was quite some time ago, in old style leather seats, in the days nobody even dreamed about flat beds.
hold on a second, I try to get a picture somewhere...
It looked a bit like this:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Mahan-Ai ... 0e9b601c02

capetown

Post by capetown »

regi wrote: It looked a bit like this:
Wo-how !! That looks really "vintage" ... any idea what the reclining angle of these seats was ? I might try this next time flying from BKK, Mahan Air flies its 747 from there to Tehran :|

regi

Post by regi »

capetown wrote:
regi wrote: It looked a bit like this:
Wo-how !! That looks really "vintage" ... any idea what the reclining angle of these seats was ? I might try this next time flying from BKK, Mahan Air flies its 747 from there to Tehran :|
I don't think that it was 45 ° But it didn't matter. I was a young chap who on his 4th long haul flight accidentally ended up in business class. And the idea alone was already a great experience. I just remember that it were thick leather cushions, champagne and nice food being served by heavenly immaculate stewardesses, nymphs of the sky.

Mahan air...euh...well, the problem is that they are forbidden to fuel at Düsseldorf, under the embargo. So they stop at Belgrade, and all this hassle interferes heavely with the shedule, which was OK before.
A friend used Mahan Air to move to Thailand because it allowed him for 850 € in business class to take 60 kg.

I would avoid Mahan because of the embargo problems.