Flight Report - AMS-DXB-BKK ; BKK-REP (part 1)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
capetown

Flight Report - AMS-DXB-BKK ; BKK-REP (part 1)

Post by capetown »

Hi,

What follows is a short report on a couple of flights I made recently on my holiday to fabulous Thailand and Cambodia.

First a disclaimer ;) : don’t expect too much technicalities : I like flying, I like planes, but I am not so much an addict that I would consider myself a spotter … So for those who expect all kinds or reg’s and other stuff – you better stop reading now :)

Ok, here’s are the flights covered (all flown in economy class):

October 30th, AMS – DXB with Emirates (EK 146, departure AMS 15.30hrs, arrival DXB 23.59 hrs), B777-300 ER ;

October 31st, DXB – BKK with Emirates (EK 384, departure DXB 03.15hrs, arrival BKK 12.05 hrs),
A380-800 :thumbup:

November 3rd, BKK – REP (Siem Reap, Cambodia) with Bangkok Airways (PG913, departure BKK 13.55 hrs, arrival REP 14.55), A320

1) EK 146 : AMS – DXB
After a smooth ride with Thalys from Brussel-Zuid / Bruxelles Midi (Dep. 09.50 hrs, Arrival AMS 11.27hrs), I immediately got to the Emirates check-in area. A bit too early though, check-in only started at approx. 12.45 hrs. After some queing, I got checked in rather fast, and was all free to explore AMS airport on my own.

After a couple of glasses of red wine (I said I like flying but nevertheless always apply a limited amount of alcohol to myself just for in case really bad turbulence would strike :twisted: ), I got to the gate.

Here she is, one of Emirates’ many triple 777’s (777-300 ER, but they also fly the 777-200 LR).
IMG_1932.jpg
Quite impressive by the way if you see their widebody-only fleet at DXB airport (you’ll see other pictures further in this report).

I prebooked a window seat in the back of the plane (row 48A), with just one seat next to me (which was occupied – by a very sympathetic dealer in white truffles – too bad he didn’t have any samples on board). It was a full flight.

During taxiing, not that many exotic birds @ AMS, except maybe for this Surinam Airways A340-(?)300 (sorry for the poor quality and framing of the pic but I had to be quick as this taxiing was done at a respectable speed...) :
IMG_1936.jpg
Also not sure what this Virgin Atlantic pax 747-400 was doing here :
IMG_1940.jpg
We took off on time, and the take off (as the whole flight) was very smooth :
IMG_1942.jpg
IMG_1944.jpg
Here’s a link to a little movie I shot, climbing out of AMS and turning left (almost 270°) to get on track for DXB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P94_gGCPPag

The route takes you over the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, the Black Sea, Turkey, Iraq (close to Iran), the Persian Gulf into DXB. It’s a 6.5 hours flight approximately.

Nothing particularly spectacular about in flight meals.

The ICE inflight entertainment system did an excellent job, with a vast array of movies, CD’s, TV programmes and Radio podcasts.
IMG_1933.jpg
But as my neighbor was such a nice guy, we spent most time talking to each other, having a drink and looking from time to time at the flight map (which is what I generally chose on my inflight entertainment system, even if the movie choice is plentiful). Here’s me somewhere above the Shatt – al – Arab, the border between Iran and Iraq, about one hour before landing in DXB.
IMG_1952.jpg
Landing perfectly on time in DXB, where I headed for the Merhaba lounge – free drinks and food , however extremely crowded as around midnight is the time where most flights inbound from Europe and Africa land, and have their passengers transferred to connecting flights to Asia. Anyway, I managed to find a place and sample some houmous and other Middle Eastern delicacies.

On to the gate then for the “pièce de résistance”, my long anticipated flight on the A380. (see part 2)

sn26567

Re: Flight Report - AMS-DXB-BKK ; BKK-REP (part 1)

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report. Sharp pictures, especially views from taken through the window: you had a clear day to enjoy the scenery.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sikiri

Post by Sikiri »

Virgin Atlantic 747-400's are actually pretty normal visitors at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. They visit AMS to receive maintenance at KLM E&M (Engineering & Maintenance). Hope this helps.

rix

Post by rix »

Hi Capetown,
Thanks for the trip report.
May I ask you how much you paid for the Merhaba lounge ? Was it worth it?
Thanks

regi

Post by regi »

rix wrote:Hi Capetown,
Thanks
Interesting question about lounge acces and the price for it.
I had a very strange experience. We had as a family with 2 children a 8 hour transit time to span at Dubai. Too long to hang around in transit. The price for 4 people in the lounge was also steep. I didn't prebook anything.
I just went to the airport hotel and asked for a room. The price was quite high for those less than 8 hours. ( I think it was something about 150 US$ ! - maybe I can find it back in a previous post of some years ago )
But I agreed, just to be able to get some rest, a shower, clean toilet etcetera.
During check inn I had a very friendly chat with the Phillippino staff. I had to give my VISA card and during check out I would receive my bill. But that didn't happen. Something with the printer or what. I just had to sign a VISA paper slip.
After my holiday I saw on my VISA account that 80 or 90 dollars had been distracted. :P
OK, stil a lot of money for about 6 hours use of a (nice) hotel room. But I have never understood why I had to pay much less than what was originally said. Maybe my friendliness towards the Phillipino staff? (who complained enormously about their local bosses ...)

capetown

Post by capetown »

rix wrote:Hi Capetown,
Thanks
Well, I have a Diner's Club Card and Diner's Club Card holders have free access to the Merhaba lounge... So I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you when it comes to access fees. There are 2 Merhaba lounges, if I correctly recall one in T3, and one in T1. The T1 lounge offered better views of the runway action than the one in T3 (but I have to admit that I entered T3 lounge in the middle of the night so don't take my views for absolute wisdom :? )

regi

Post by regi »

Desert Rat wrote:Next time, you might sleep here...

http://solherrera.posterous.com/sleep-b ... ng-50-70-s
Good for the Japanese who are used to such things.
Wrong option in our case when we were with 4.
But anyway, thank you for the link. I keep it in mind, despite I have no real reason anymore to fly Emirates and to pass through Dubai.