Cairo flight,pyramids?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
cathay belgium

Cairo flight,pyramids?

Post by cathay belgium »

Hello,

As I saw, I booked a JAF flight to Sharm El Sheikh this summer with a stop in Cairo,
is there any chance you can see the pyramids during landing or take-off and then
my question off-couse;
If yes! which is the best seat for a view/pic of them?

Any suggestions anybody I ?

Thx

Ciao CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

Cartman

Re: Cairo flight,pyramids?

Post by Cartman »

I remember a flight with BA from LHR to CAI in 2005. The final approach to CAI (it was already dark) went straight over the three great pyramids of Gizeh. They were beautifully illuminated, a really nice sight. As far as I remember I was seated at the right-hand window...
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

I usually fly LH. The approax is Alexandria - Cairo. I could see the pyramids each time but it also depends on final approach - I am usually seat 2A. Enjoy the view and fun in Sharm, diving paradise.

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

Last year I also went to SSH and I remember passing Cairo on the righthand side, but I can't remember seeing the pyramids. I do remember that there was a lot of heatsmog at that time, so possibly couldn't see them at all...

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

IF you get the right approach, on the left of the plane is the best place :). You usually get to see them quite well.

Jetairfly

Post by Jetairfly »

Hello JAFflyer

I've flown several times to both SSH and HRG.
In 2001, I took a Sobelair flight to HRG via ATH and LXR. The captain informed us that we would overfly the Pyramids of Gizeh. Unfortunately, it was already dark when we passed Cairo, so it was impossible to see it :s. During the daytime flight back to Brussels, I actually saw the famous landmark. The sight wasn't that impressive. You can't see much if you are 12OOO feet up in the air :s.

The last time I overflew the Pyramids was in 2008. I was told that any seat in the rear cabin of our plane (a Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium Airbus A320) was an excellent choice if I wanted to see SSH during take-off. I must admit that anyone who gives that information certainly knows what he's talking about :)! I overflew Gizeh about 50 minutes after take-off. I didn't have the opportunity to spot the archaelogic site beacuse it was only visible for the passengers sitting at the left hand side. Again, views weren't that good according to other passengers (I quote "Schatteke, ziede gij ook maar iet?").

I have experienced that flights that arrive around 17H45 to 19H30 in SSH or HRG give some impressive views over the holiday resorts. Flights become interesting once you have entered the Italian or Croatian airspace. Athens and Pireaus are often clearly visible.

I might see you arrive in SSH. I am going to spend my holidays at the Continental Garden Reef Resort near the airport in July!

Enjoy your holiday
Jetairfly

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the information,
I know what to do,
book a seat on the left side of the plain, x-A seats.
( Lucky that JAF has rhe in advance seat-booking ability ).
practice my earth from above view- skills on google earth !

Jetairfly I wont think to see you there because we're going 15-25 august,
Oasis Reef Resort.Pity.
Oh found already excursions by plane to Cairo (Egyptair) and Petra (Petroleum Airline Services).
Both expensive but worth the money they say, if someone has expierences with PAS,
let me know. ( Cairo is already a certainity I think -Egypt without pyramids?! )

Thanks again to all and Jetairfly have a nice holiday in SSH !
let me know if you're been lucky to see something,
of better post a report on 'luchtzak'!

ciao CX-B!

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Jetairfly wrote:Hello JAFflyer

I've flown several times to both SSH and HRG.
In 2001, I took a Sobelair flight to HRG via ATH and LXR. The captain informed us that we would overfly the Pyramids of Gizeh. Unfortunately, it was already dark when we passed Cairo, so it was impossible to see it :s. During the daytime flight back to Brussels, I actually saw the famous landmark. The sight wasn't that impressive. You can't see much if you are 12OOO feet up in the air :s.

The last time I overflew the Pyramids was in 2008. I was told that any seat in the rear cabin of our plane (a Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium Airbus A320) was an excellent choice if I wanted to see SSH during take-off. I must admit that anyone who gives that information certainly knows what he's talking about :)! I overflew Gizeh about 50 minutes after take-off. I didn't have the opportunity to spot the archaelogic site beacuse it was only visible for the passengers sitting at the left hand side. Again, views weren't that good according to other passengers (I quote "Schatteke, ziede gij ook maar iet?").
you only get to see them quite well when going to Cairo and landing on 05R, then you make a left turn almost exactly over the pyramids. Although from a pax window I can imagine it's more difficult to spot than from the front office ;)

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

For anyone intrested!
I booked preseats on the left side of the plane with extraordinary good view
over the pyramids during landing at CAI.
Saw them twice,better view on approach from BRU than from SSH.
No need to excersise your eyes with google earth haaha!
THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR ADVICE !! :P

Ciao,
CX-B
IMG_6232.jpg