Ryanair luggage policy

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Stij

Ryanair luggage policy

Post by Stij »

Dear all,

I would like to warn you about Ryanair's luggage policy.

As most of you probably know, you have to pay for each bag you want to check in. One has to pay up to 20€/bag/flight. Fine, it's clear when you reserve and pay it, take it or leave it.

What some of you may not know (at least I didn't) was that when you pay for instance for 3 bags you still are entitled to the normal weight limit of 15kg, for all bags together, or about 5kg per bag. For the other kg, you pay 15€/kg. This is NOT mentionned on their website when you make your reservation, one has to read the small print (I admit, it's in there)

So, you guessed it, they had me! I had payed for 2 bags and showed up with one bag of 15kg and one of 9kg or 9kg overweight at 15€ = 135€. So as we made a round trip, that added up to 270€. Now, when you add that up to the original fare paid, 167.02€, I paid for my round trip 437,02€. Not so "The Low Fare Airline", I could have flown Bru Air in B Flex for that amount!!! And I didn't "forget" anything, no way I could have avoided these surcharges.

My advice to you: if you travel with more then 15kg a person, STAY AWAY FROM RYANAIR!!!!!!!! They aren't cheap at all, they're a rip off in that case!!!!!!!!!!!! They're only cheap if you travel really light!

On top of that, in CRL, they couldn't find the reservation for the prepaid second bag. After a phonecall it was straigthened out and I didn't have to pay another 20€. Only, he forgot to deduct the 20€ again, so in CRL, I payed 155€ instead of 135€. i was told to demand a refund for the 20€. So I did. I also asked a refund of the 270€, but I don't think I'll be succesfull.

Anyway, when I'm not 100% sure I can travel light with hand luggage only, no way I'll fly with them again, even if I have to change planes or whatever.

Cheers,

Stij

sabenatechnics

Re: Ryanair luggage policy

Post by sabenatechnics »

Don't forget to add when you arrive you'll have to pay the taxi or bus to go to the city which you would like to visit. I think it is cheaper to fly Brussels airlines then Ryanair

Stij

Post by Stij »

sabenatechnics wrote:Don't forget to add when you arrive you'll have to pay the taxi or bus to go to the city which you would like to visit. I think it is cheaper to fly Brussels airlines then Ryanair
True in most cases, however, in my case it's the opposite: My business destinations are

Between Bergamo and Verona, so BGY is easier then LIN or MXP (the horror)
North-east of Venice, so TSF is very near, VCE is not to bad either though but Bru Air's evening flight is already at 15:45
Carrara for which Pisa is easier then FLR.
East of Rome for which CIA is closer then FCO. One doesn't drive the "Tangenziale" for fun.

So for me the alternatice airports are actually more convenient then the main ones, how ironically it may sound...

Still, I'm so mad for the moment I prefer to drive then to fly with FR!!! I feel insulted, blackmailed and robbed.

Cheers,

Stij

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

it's a problem of bad communication. A huge problem, right.
But itdoesn't remove the big advantage of ryanair over expensive companies, just that it's maybe not the best for all cases ;)

I'm still happy to go anywhere for less than 100 euro with a backpack ;)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:it's a problem of bad communication. A huge problem, right.
But itdoesn't remove the big advantage of ryanair over expensive companies, just that it's maybe not the best for all cases ;)

I'm still happy to go anywhere for less than 100 euro with a backpack ;)
I can agree, but sometimes I think the "bad communication" is a bit on purpose and that's wrong!

Pay attention with the backpack as well! Don't buy anything to large from the airport shops that doesn't fit in the backpack or... 30€ surcharge!!!

But you're right, if you travel really light and pay close attention to the rules, it's a very cheap way to travel.

Cheers,

Stij

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Stij, I am sorry but it's clearly announced on the Ryanair website :

Each passenger is permitted to check-in up to 3 bags with a maximum combined weight of 15kgs)

The first bag costs 10 euros if booked on the website - 20 euros at the call center or at the airport.
The two other bags (still within the 15 kg combined weight) cost 20 euros each.
The excess weight (above 15 kg) costs 15 euros per kg, and is to be paid at the airport.
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

In addition, you may carry 10 kg in a cabin bag.
Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Handbag, briefcase, laptops, etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

That said, everybody has to carefully consider the prices offered by the different carriers and make his own choice according to his requirements and all other factors. Ryanair is not always the cheapest and most convenient, that is for sure. But it often is !

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

airazurxtror wrote:Stij, I am sorry but it's clearly announced on the Ryanair website :

Each passenger is permitted to check-in up to 3 bags with a maximum combined weight of 15kgs)

The first bag costs 10 euros if booked on the website - 20 euros at the call center or at the airport.
The two other bags (still within the 15 kg combined weight) cost 20 euros each.
The excess weight (above 15 kg) costs 15 euros per kg, and is to be paid at the airport.
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

In addition, you may carry 10 kg in a cabin bag.
Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Handbag, briefcase, laptops, etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

That said, everybody has to carefully consider the prices offered by the different carriers and make his own choice according to his requirements and all other factors. Ryanair is not always the cheapest and most convenient, that is for sure. But it often is !
Yes, it is mentioned and I think many people are aware of it by now because it has been mentioned and reported (thankfully) on many forums. However, to me it is still just an unbelievable rip-off. Nobody who is no Ryanair frequent flyer but who does know the usual rules of other scheduled or charter airlines will believe this .... And do not forget you as well cannot combine your luggage if you travel with two or more persons (one pax with one bag of 10kg and a second pax with a bag of 17kg will still mean you have to pay for the 2kg 'overweight'). I can only confirm the recommendations: If you need to check-in luggage, stay away from Ryanair. Look for a cheap deal with B.Air, IB or even LH, BA or AF/KLM and; depending on your destination you might very well pay much less than Ryanair would have charged you (after all, they have to get your money any way as well, otherwise they could not be a succesful company).
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:Stij, I am sorry but it's clearly announced on the Ryanair website :
Hi Airazurxtror,

As I wrote in my original post, yes, I know, it's in there, but not on the reservation screen, and as the "consequences" are rather big compared to the fares paid, I find it only fair to mention it in the booking engine and not just far away in the "Travel Questions" section.

In fact, "Small Print" should be there for the exeptions, like golf bags, ski's... Ryanair finds it apparently standard that when one pays for 3 bags one checks in 3 bags of 5kg. I find it more normal that when one pays for 3 bags, he shows up with 3 bags of 15kg.

But my main point of posting this message was not to make Ryanair change the policy, but to warn other members about it so that they don't encounter big surprises in Charleroi when they fly with there complete family for two weeks to Italy. OK, I wrote it also to let the steam of a bit!

Cheers,

Stij

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I'm sorry, but is not burried in the fine print, it's clearly mentionned on your 'ticket' wich ryanair urges you to read and print.

From my ticket to Shannon (only in Dutch)
In te checken bagage
Elke passagier mag maximaal 3 tassen met een totaalgewicht van 15 kilo inchecken, waarvoor de desbetreffende kosten voor ingecheckte bagage in rekening worden gebracht. Het combineren/delen van de ongebruikte bagagehoeveelheid onder de limiet is niet toegestaan, ook niet binnen een groep die op dezelfde reservering reist.

They also have a link to this information in their boooking engine right below the bag-booking option.
I agree they might make it more visible, but I wouldn't say they purposely hid it...

I am a big fan of Ryanair, but when I recommend them to someone who hasn't flown them, I always make sure they read the fine print, and they don't expect to much.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Buzz wrote:I'm sorry, but is not burried in the fine print, it's clearly mentionned on your 'ticket' wich ryanair urges you to read and print.

From my ticket to Shannon (only in Dutch)
In te checken bagage
Elke passagier mag maximaal 3 tassen met een totaalgewicht van 15 kilo inchecken, waarvoor de desbetreffende kosten voor ingecheckte bagage in rekening worden gebracht. Het combineren/delen van de ongebruikte bagagehoeveelheid onder de limiet is niet toegestaan, ook niet binnen een groep die op dezelfde reservering reist.

They also have a link to this information in their boooking engine right below the bag-booking option.
I agree they might make it more visible, but I wouldn't say they purposely hid it...

I am a big fan of Ryanair, but when I recommend them to someone who hasn't flown them, I always make sure they read the fine print, and they don't expect to much.
Dear Buzz,

Right, on your ticket, isn't that a bit late? You already paid!

Cheers,

Stij

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In Ireland, you can find a book where are gathered hundreds of O'Leary choicest utterances. A few of them, about baggage (pp 18 - 19) :

"The purpose is not to make money from checked-in luggage - the purpose is to get rid of them altogether."

"We want to get rid of hold baggage. it's one of the biggest costs we have. If people feel they must take a lot of luggage, they can fly with our higher-fare competitors. If they want to fly round Europe with us for 5 or 10 pounds sterling, they will have to do it Ryanair's way."

"Half of our passengers don't check in any luggage. Packing luggage into aircraft takes time. If you are a hand-luggage passenger,you will no longer be cross-subsidising passengers with bags. We are not just streamlining check-in, we are eliminating it."

"Paying for baggage is logical, because if we can persuade people to fly with what they can carry, we can carve another chunk off costs and take fares lower still. But, yes, it generates publicity, and every time we get publicity, good or bad, bookings spike up."

Paul Kilduff : The little book of Mick - Gill & Macmillan, Dublin, 2008.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Stij wrote: Dear Buzz,

Right, on your ticket, isn't that a bit late? You already paid!

Cheers,

Stij
It is indeed, that's why I also stated it could be found right in the booking engine itself.

I just wanted to point out that although they might not publisize it everywhere you look, you can't blame Ryanair for the fact that you did not knew about the 'max 3 bags, max 15 kg' rule.

It's not the customer-oriented way of doing business, but it's the Ryanair way, and it is proving to be very succesfull for them.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Buzz wrote: I just wanted to point out that although they might not publisize it everywhere you look, you can't blame Ryanair for the fact that you did not knew about the 'max 3 bags, max 15 kg' rule.

It's not the customer-oriented way of doing business, but it's the Ryanair way, and it is proving to be very succesfull for them.
I am sorry, but I do blame them. Because it is not customer orientated. Do not tell me they put it in the small print or somewhere at the edge of the screen 'by mistake'; come on: They are living on those things. They cannot make (enough) money with the fares they ask you to pay just for the flight. Whatever MOL says, he is happy about every, from his point of view 'stupid', passenger who has to pay the extra fees for luggage as this kind of fees is what makes his company profitable ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Stij

Post by Stij »

Buzz wrote:
I just wanted to point out that although they might not publisize it everywhere you look, you can't blame Ryanair for the fact that you did not knew about the 'max 3 bags, max 15 kg' rule.
Hi Buzz,

so if I follow your reasoning, I should read the small print of every ticket I buy! Ryanair's, Wizzair's, SkyEurope's, Bru Air's. And I should read them everytime, because they change all the time!

Come on, that can't be right!

Anyhow, I think we know now each others opinion and I don't think our opinions are gonna change. I'm already happy people on the forum now know more about FR's policy and won't encounter surprises as I did.

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

Traveling with hand luggage only has become much less convenient since the EC in their infinite wisdom decided to ban liquids from the cabin. It's difficult if not impossible, and certainly very inconvenient, to have to search for various items in small canisters, for example your favourite shaving cream, and to pack them separately in a transparent bag.

And why does Ryanair have a 10kg limit on hand luggage? I much prefer easyJet's 'if you can lift it, you can bring it' policy.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

euroflyer wrote: I am sorry, but I do blame them. Because it is not customer orientated. Do not tell me they put it in the small print or somewhere at the edge of the screen 'by mistake'; come on: They are living on those things.
Stij wrote:
so if I follow your reasoning, I should read the small print of every ticket I buy! Ryanair's, Wizzair's, SkyEurope's, Bru Air's. And I should read them everytime, because they change all the time!

Come on, that can't be right!
Call me crazy, but every time I book a ticket I check the small print before I check the box 'I have read and accepted the Terms and Conditions of Travel' (or something like that). I know what kind of airline FR is and I know they will make me pay if I don't follow their (sometimes stupid) rules. Don't check the box if you don't accept the Terms and Conditions...

Stij

Post by Stij »

For those of you who have been following the story since the beginning...
Ryanair ansewered today...and...
decided they would refund the money to me!

I'll fly them again, taking into account the weight limits of course!

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

Stij wrote:For those of you who have been following the story since the beginning...
Ryanair ansewered today...and...
decided they would refund the money to me!
...and then you woke up?

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

If I want to fly from Marseille to Marrakech it's better and cheaper to use Atlas Blue-who allow 10Kg of hand-luggage and 20 Kg of checked in luggage..at fares cheaper than Ryanair if I wanted to fly with 20Kg of luggage..
It's a no-brainer to use other airlines if one has some items to transport..
On top you get a meal ..

Exhausted

Post by Exhausted »

I don't understand all this. I have just printed out the 'Checked Baggage Allowance' from the Ryanair website. It clearly states: "Each passenger is permitted to check in up to a maximum of 2 bags with a maximum weight of 15 kilos PER BAG (subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees)."

In light of all that various people have had to say on this, the printout will be coming with me to the airport where I can show it to Ryanair personnel in case of any difficulty.

However, I must say that I find flying with this airline absolutely exhausting with the amount of research that has to go into preparing for a simple flight.

Also - I have telephoned Ryanair with regard to the post saying that if you have paid for luggage to go into the hold you cannot check in online. Ryanair say this is NOT so, that they prefer their passengers to check in online which is a facility for all passengers, with or without checked in bags.

Cheers.