BRU-LCY on Fantastic VLM

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BRU-LCY on Fantastic VLM

Post by Comet »

The worst part of going on holiday is having to come home, and our trip to Oostende was over too soon. We packed up after breakfast on the 13th September, and then caught the train to Brussels Airport via Zuid station (the only time we ever use that station).

We arrived at the airport at 11:30, and soon discovered that we would not be able to check in until two hours before scheduled departure time (17:10, so check in at 15:10 and all that time being lumbered with luggage!) That is the only disadvantage to VLM is the restricted check in time at BRU.

When we eventually did check in, we were allocated seats 11A and 11B, near the back of the aircraft. Finally we could go through into the lounge - that is the shortest spotting time I've had in BRU so there is a serious lack of photos and videos taken before we boarded our plane.

The morning BRU-LCY-BRU flight had been seriously delayed owing to bad conditions at LCY, and we hoped that would not happen to us.

Our flight was to depart from gate B29. It was operated by Fokker 50 OO-VLR appropriately named "City of Brussels" (that name has also been worn by other planes in the VLM fleet, recently by OO-VLQ).

OO-VLR waits for passengers at the gate.

There was a larger crowd waiting for this flight than the one the previous week. Boarding was called at 16:50, and we boarded outside via the aircraft's own steps.

We were greeted by the very pleasant VLM cabin crew, once again consisting of a steward and a stewardess. Someone was sitting in our seat so the steward asked him to move, and then we sat down. Our view was the back of the wheel bay and "Stinker" in the distance.

The view from our seat, with "Stinker" the next aircraft along, a few gates away.

I read a copy of the inflight magazine while we waited to leave. It is mainly business-orientated but has some interesting restaurant write ups inside.

The magazine.

We had the safety demonstration whilst we waited to push back.

The safety card. The advice about beware of the prop is to be heeded, I was brought up to have a very healthy respect for props after my Grandad told me of the damage they could do!

Before push back, the crew handed out sweets, something very rare these days, the last time we saw it was in 2003, also on VLM.

We pushed back at 17:25, after the Captain apologised for the delay owing to heavy traffic - and we saw a good example as we waited to take off, there were loads of planes in front of us. He told us the flight would be expected to last 50 minutes. There was cloud near BRU, but nice weather expected along the route with some light winds.

At 17:41 we took off after various RJs and an Airbus had gone. There was cloud after take off, but we were soon above it.

A view after take off.

Inside the Fokker 50.

The crews on VLM are very efficient, and soon we were offered the choice of a bacon or a cheese sandwich - that is the first time I've had a bacon sandwich on a plane, but it was very good, with tomatoes in as well, and a small pot of rice pudding, a nice chocolate and orange juice to drink. This is what you call good inflight catering, we had not seen much, if any, since 2003!

The bacon sandwich, rice pudding and chocolate.

This accolade is hardly surprising - Regional Airline of the Year 2006 - well done VLM, you deserve it!

There was alot of cloud along the route, but it was clearing by the time we approached England.

Just entering England.

We had some good views as we approached London.

Not too far from London here.

We had a smooth descent, with some hazy weather, but it looked murkier near LCY. The wheel came down at 17:32 and after a relatively gentle drop, we touched down at 17:34. I adore flying at LCY but leaving it is more fun than landing in it, the reverse is true of BRU. We had a superb flight, with a very professional and polite crew. No VLM for us in December but there certainly will be next September!

A very good value experience for £109 return - excellent crews, nice clean planes, good onboard catering which is actually edible and has some choice and variety. Those who prefer to pay double the price for a "low cost" experience do not know what they are missing!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

once again a very good report from you ;)

This makes we want to fly VLM even more, just such a pity their fares are so expensive...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks sab. Our flights this year made me realise again just how good VLM are. I would not call their prices expensive - for just over £100 (I don't know how that would translate in Euros) you get a full service flight with a choice of food and departure at a civilised time (mid-morning out and afternoon return).

Now if you wanted to fly at a similar time on a certain "low cost" carrier which advertises "cheap" fares, you would pay more than £200 for nothing more than your ticket, no refreshments included, you have to pay extra for that! Even booking many months in advance, you do not get a good fare deal on the "low cost" carrier - £247 for a return MAN to BRU when not so long ago you could pick one up for just around £100 with full service included. That is £95 more than it would cost to fly on VLM at similar times of day. When we were looking for Christmas flights we saw that we would save around £100 by booking on bmi rather than forking out for a "cheap" ticket on Spotty Tail.

We have no intention of ever flying on Spotty Tail given their extortionate prices for little more than Ryanair style service.
Louise

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

Comet, I don't know where you get those 200 GBP fares from (unless you book close to the departure date of course).

Brussels Airlines has a low fare finder (just select the +/- 7 days button), and there is ample availability as from 96,7 GBP RETURN.

For this money you get a direct flight (which most people prefer anyway).

And in case you don't believe me, the 96,7 GBP offer is available on:
1) MAN-BRU: November 9/10/17/19/20/23/24/26/27/28/30; December 3/4/5/6/7/9/11/12/... This is only 6 weeks from now (and you plan your city trips far in advance anyway). If you book now for a flight within 4 weeks, you will pay +/- 7 GBP more one-way on average

2) BRU-MAN: November 11/12/13/14/15/16/18/19/20/21/25/26/27/28/29/30; December 2/3/4/5/6/7/9/10/11/12/13/14/...

As you see: within 5-6 weeks from now, you can book this 96,7 GBP return offer on almost all days.

And I don't agree that you get little more than Ryanair service ;) Either you fly Ryanair yourself some day (which you haven't done so far) to see the difference, or you book one of those 96,7 GBP return fares (giving you access to an assigned seat with 31-32 inch legroom, a direct flight, support in case something goes wrong, .......)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Some extra:

We had originally booked a flight leaving BRU at 14:00 but this was dropped from the timetable and VLM re-booked us onto the later flight. The reverse has happened for our trip in December - bmi contacted us to say that our flight was now leaving a little earlier - very early in the morning, earlier than I've flown for years but at least we should get to Brugge at a decent time and have a meal in Chagall (ate there again the other week - steak to die for, a huge slab of Belgian Blue cow cooked to perfection) where they also promote the Tongerlo Christmas, which I think is a very agreeable beer!

Also, VLM are very close to Sabena as far as the standard of service goes, they are the only airline which has ever come near to the late, lamented Sabena as far as I am concerned.
Louise

burner737

Post by burner737 »

You should try the LCY-ANR

ANR offers 15 min prior departure check in.
and is the home airport from VLM.

Regards Tim

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Tim. Only problem with ANR is getting from ANR into Antwerp for the train - those buses from ANR are not ideal when you have a load of luggage, we did it back in 2003. The issue of having to wait for ages because check in starts two hours before the flight is a pain when normally we'd arrived at BRU late morning and been able to check in right away, even for evening flights. Dragging three cases or pushing a trolley full is tiring after a while.
Louise

burner737

Post by burner737 »

I hope these kind of problems are going to be solved soon.
and hope to welcome you on our lovely airport again real soon.

Regareds Tim

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Very nice report, Comet! :D I always kind of wanted to try VLM, but havne't gotten the chance to.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks again for your comments Tim, and thanks to you too fokker_f27. I hope you get a flight on VLM sometime :mrgreen:
Louise

Tommypilot

Post by Tommypilot »

Hi Comet,

Many thanks for the kind report!
I am not surprised about the level of service VLM offers...for me the only Belgian company really offering A service (sorry Brussels Airlines).
Never heard complaints so far as exception that we can't book seats in advance.

I really still wonder why they implemented business class on the routes from and to Brussels. (LCY)

Going to fly them this month too for a business trip (with VLM people) to LCY.

Take care and please keep us updated!

Kind regards,
Tommy
The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary! - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comet

Post by Comet »

I don't see the point of Business Class on such a small plane on such a short route, I would not bother to pay so much extra for such a short flight, better to fly Business in a long haul aircraft with a proper dedicated Business Class cabin if you can afford to. When we flew VLM in 2002 there was Business, in 2003 it had been withdrawn and it came back before our latest flights.

The online check in is good because you can check in from 30 hours before your flight and change your seat if you want.

Enjoy your flight on VLM!
Louise