On-line check-in on Brussels Airlines: 24 hrs in advance?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

On-line check-in on Brussels Airlines: 24 hrs in advance?

Post by sn26567 »

It is now 10:25 on Sunday, May 20, 2007.

I fly with SN 2173 to Manchester on Monday, May 21, 2007 (dep. 09:35).

I try to check in by internet, less than 24 hours before departure. Reply:
This flight cannot be checked-in on-line for the moment
This is not the first time this happens. Last week I had excellent experience of on-line check-in with LH and LX.

What is going on with SN? Sunday closed?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

11:35 h. Twenty-two hours before departure. Still no possibility to check-in on-line.

I am disappointed...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

12:10 hr. Finally possible to register. I was assigned seat 16A. Before printing the boarding pass, I wanted to change my seat in order to get closer to the front (I am in a hurry when I arrive at Manchester). Bad luck:
Loading complete
I then wanted to print my boarding pass:
We are sorry!
For technical reasons your request could not be processed.
Please try again later.
I thus tried later, and could indeed change my seat to 9F.
When I wanted to print this, the PDF file showed seat 16A!
That's where I gave up and accepted that seat and printed my boarding pass.

Oh yes, I got an e-mail confirmation with the PDF attached. The date of the message was 1/1/1970!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

I wouldn't be surprised if (after boarding) your seat turns out to be 9F. Just ask the agent at the gate to confirm your seatnumber.

Or, if you PM me your name before 20h00, I'll look up your seatnumber for you, just let me know what seat you prefer :wink:
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

And the story goes on for the return flight. This time, on-line check-in was available 24 hrs in advance. The initially assigned seat was 19A.

I tried to change it, but:
Loading complete
I then tried to print my boarding pass wuthout changing the seat, but:
We are sorry!
For technical reasons your request could not be processed.
Please try again later.
Childhood disease? Incompetence? The on-line check-in needs a lot of work...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Now about the flights themselves.

BRU-MAN SN2173 Avro RJ85 OO-DJQ
On-time departure and arrival.

I went to seat 16A, the number on my self-printed boarding pass. And, no surprise, somebody else came with the same seat number. Luckily there were still many seats available (load factor some 70%) and that passenger moved to another seat.

MAN-BRU SN2178 Avro RJ100 OO-DWL
On-time departure (after 30 min rotation) and arrival.

I had finally managed to print my boarding pass for seat 19A. No special problems, except that when the stewardess arrived at row 19 (next to last) there were no sandwiches anymore. And when I asked for a beer I was offered Maes, which I refused (that's no beer!).

No other problems during the flights, which were rather pleasant. The only remark is about the cost: 621 EUR for b.light is everything but light, and even so you get only 250 FF miles per segment. A few months ago I got twice 1500 FF miles for 420 EUR return. Quite a difference!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

André,

How were the loads in B.Flex ?

Chris

Established02

Post by Established02 »

sn26567 wrote:The only remark is about the cost: 621 EUR for b.light is everything but light, and even so you get only 250 FF miles per segment.
Did you consider to book b.flex instead of b.light?

If you would have paid the extra for b.flex you might have perceived more value for money.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:How were the loads in B.Flex ?
The load factor in b.flex was light, not more than 4-5 passengers in each way, as much as the fare in b.light was heavy!
Established02 wrote:Did you consider to book b.flex instead of b.light?
I did not consider it, but my secretary, who booked the flight through Expedia Corporate, did. She told me the fare would have been 1200 EUR, out of bounds for my company.

Expedia still considers b.flex as business class: apparently this is going to change soon. When this happens I might consider b.flex if the price difference with b.light is minimal.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Hi

Sorry to hear it. I fly with Brus. Air. to very soon and have some questions about that internetcheck-in which isn't clear to me:

1. Do you need a pasport for internetcheckin or is an 'identiteitskaart' also sufficient?

2. Can you still travel with checked luggage ('ruimbagage') with that internet checkin

3. Is it always possible to choose your seat, even with b.light?

4. How long should I be at the airport in front of the flight if I checked in on interhet

Tnx

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Qwerty wrote:Hi

Sorry to hear it. I fly with Brus. Air. to very soon and have some questions about that internetcheck-in which isn't clear to me:

1. Do you need a pasport for internetcheckin or is an 'identiteitskaart' also sufficient?

2. Can you still travel with checked luggage ('ruimbagage') with that internet checkin

3. Is it always possible to choose your seat, even with b.light?

4. How long should I be at the airport in front of the flight if I checked in on interhet

Tnx
1. Identity card sufficient (but it depends from where you are flying to: some destinations countries require a passport). Anyway your identity card number is not necessary during your internet check-in, only at the airport passport control and before boarding the plane.
2. Checked baggage allowed. You will find a baggage drop-off at the SN check-in desks at the airport.
3. Seat selection available for b.light, normally 24 hrs before departure.
4. Since you have already checked in, 45 minutes before departure should be sufficient.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks for the quick answer. It is on for a flight to FCO (Rome).

edit: it isn't a problem either if on of the passenger is 16 years old?. BTW, do you know if it is allowed to have dSLR camera in your handluggage and to make pictures in the aircraft and on the airport

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I have checked in few seconds ago. All went well. I was, as a b-ligt-flyer, assigned seat 4A. 4A!?!

Only 3 b.flex rows?

Comet

Post by Comet »

Personally I think that online check in sounds a nightmare - too much can go wrong and if there is a problem there is no helpdesk where you can ask.

I prefer the self service check in machines - very straightforward, very quick and if there's a problem there are helpdesks not too far away.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Qwerty wrote:I have checked in few seconds ago. All went well. I was, as a b-ligt-flyer, assigned seat 4A. 4A!?!

Only 3 b.flex rows?
I was on SN2901 to Vienna yesterday. Load factor 100% for the Avro 100, but only 3 rows out of 20 for b.flex as well.
Comet wrote:I prefer the self service check in machines - very straightforward, very quick and if there's a problem there are helpdesks not too far away.
I agree, but 24 hr advance check-in by internet gives you a wider choice of seats.
André
ex Sabena #26567

EBBR_Based

Post by EBBR_Based »

sn26567 wrote:I agree, but 24 hr advance check-in by internet gives you a wider choice of seats.
A big advantage of Brussels Airlines' b.flex product is that you can assign your seat far in advance. Used online check-in again today (without problems as usual) and got my assigned seat!

Online check-in will always be an important reason for me to opt for a certain airline, as you can just proceed to the gate if you arrive at the airport behind check-in closing time (which can always be the case if something unexpected happens).