Just fly for the sake of it

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
MHG

Post by MHG »

I will be doing some more just for fun flights in may during my trip to the Philippines and back...

Mostly to experience "new" airlines i´ve never flown with before!

DUS-BKK (LTU A 330)
BKK-HKT/Phuket with OX = 1-2-GO (MD-83 or maybe B 757)
HKT-PEN/Penang FY (FIREFLY Fokker 50)
PEN - KBR/Kota Bharu vv. with FY FIREFLY
PEN - KUL MH (Malaysian A 330)
KUL- MYY/Miri (East-Malaysia) with AK = Air Asia (A 320)
MYY - Marudi vv. D7 = FAX (FAX = Fly Asian Xpress / DHC-6 -Twin Otter)
MYY - SBW/Sibu D7 (FAX Fokker 50)
SBW- KCH/Kuching MH (Malaysian B 737-400)
KCH - KUL AK (Air Asia B737-300)
KUL- TOD/Tioman Island vv. J8 = Berjaya Air (Dash-7)
KUL-CGK/Jakarta AK (Air Asia A320)
CGK - MFM/Macau ZG = VIVA MACAU (B767-200/300)
MFM - CRK/Clark, Philippines TR = TIGER Airways (A 320)
CRK - CEB/Cebu 5J = Cebu Pacific (A 319)
CEB -MNL/Manila - HKG 5J (Cebu Pacific A 319)
HKG - LGW O8 = OASIS Hongkong (B 747-400)
LGW - London Waterloo - BRU by train... (Eurostar)
BRU - FRA on SN (hopefully Avro 85/100)

Plus some local flights in the Philippines that i don´t want to book before arrival since e.g. YS-11 routes of Asian Spirit i need to check with airline´s OPS before booking...
Also Interisland Airlines YAK-40 is also still in the pipe...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

vinz57 wrote:
Leaving from Charleroi, there are a few "triangles" that you can do in one day. I think Charleroi-Barcelona-Milan-Charleroi was another one.
There is also Charleroi - Rome - Dublin - Charleroi, with rather comfortable gaps between the flights; I'll do it in the not too distant future...

regi

Post by regi »

succes with those triangles when flying Ryanair.
If you have 4 hours delay as I had at Glasgow, you probably will not close the triangle.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

regi wrote:succes with those triangles when flying Ryanair.
If you have 4 hours delay as I had at Glasgow, you probably will not close the triangle.
Agreed, you need a bit of luck to do that - delays can happen on Ryanair same as on any carrier ...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I have made it : CRL-CIA-DUB-CRL yesterday.

Charleroi - Roma Ciampino
FR6105 on EI-DAD ( "Nein zum Lufthansa Kerozinzuschlag")
Scheduled : 0630 - 0830
Actual : 0637 - 0836
In the air : 1 h 44 min

Roma Ciampino - Dublin
FR9431 on EI-DPA
Scheduled : 0955 - 1210
Actual : 1035 - 1233
In the air : 2h41

Dublin - Charleroi
FR46 on EI-DAZ
Scheduled : 1600 - 1835
Actual : 1606 - 1849
In the air : 1h22

A nice day, without any problem with the connecting flights - fortunately, the Italian ATC strike was the day before !

cathay belgium

Re: Just fly for the sake of it

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Gonna do this for my first time next december to Pisa (FR), and while looking for info
I found this old topic in the history listings of luchtzak and was wandering
if some of you could propose other possible trips of this/next year/months or some
other 'up-to-date' reports!

Looks fun!
:P
Cx-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

From Charleroi, with Ryanair, it's possible to do day return trips to Roma, Treviso, Bergamo, Madrid, Girona, Stockholm and Dublin - all these destinations have return trips scheduled on the morning and in the evening.
There is also a lot of triangles that can be arranged from CRL.
All this rather cheaply, by taking advantage of the promotions offered.
(I have just booked a CRL-Bergamo-Alghero-CRL for 37 euros all included).

sn26567

Re:

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:I have made it : CRL-CIA-DUB-CRL yesterday.
You didn't see much of Rome, did you?

What was the total cost of your triangular trip?
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

That is right, I did not see much of Rome nor of Dublin, unless through the window on finals - it was "flying just for the sake of it" !
Total cost was 39,28 + 15,50 + 15,50 = 70,28 euros (two years ago).
By no means a record : one could get it somewhat cheaper by taking advantage of the promotional fares when available.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

I "played" (but not booked) with the Ryanair website a while ago, an managed to get 8 flights within 2 weeks througout Europe for about 100 euro. (Starting and ending at NRN) Around the world in Europe so to say :D .

Talking about around the world, I found this article on the internet:

LONDON-DUSSELDORF RYANAIR £10.00
DUSSELDORF-LOS ANGELES AIR BERLIN £174.47
LOS ANGELES-SYDNEY V AUSTRALIA £242.68
SYDNE-AUCKLAND AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS £52.00
CHRISTCHURCH-BRISBANE JETSTAR £66.51
GOLD COAST-KUALA LUMPUR AIR ASIA £74.48
KUALA LUMPUR-MACAU AIR ASIA £23.26
MACAU-BANGKOK AIR ASIA £49.77
BANGKOK - KUALA LUMPUR AIR ASIA £39.00
KUALA LUMPUR - LONDON AIR ASIA £94.04
TOTAL £826.21

Do you think this is cheap or not? I know the "very cheap" times of Zoom and Oasis are long gone...

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

I don't travel for the sake of travelling but don't mind a little more inconvenience or paying a little more in order to travel through a particular airport, fly a particular plane or experience a particular airport.

Now you need to strike a balance because it can get a little out of hand. But it can be done!

Examples I can think of is flying BRU-LCY-MAN, (overall must have cost 20-30 euros more than if I had flown straight to Man and maybe 10 euros more if I had flown to Leeds airport my end destination), BRU-ZHR-ATH-FRA-MAN (Same), and soon IAD-BRU-MUC-IAD.

Sometimes you get lucky as the more troublesome route is usually the cheapest. (my MUC stopover was) , but sometimes you have to give up on the idea because it may have impact on other parts of your life. I'm going for example to Atlanta in 2 weeks time. Well I could have flown on 757 into DCA. Issue being that I would have had to take a 6h25 flight which meant sleeping in the airport (which is a no-no for done it and never again) Instead I'm taking the train from DC to Atlanta which in a way is also going out of my way to try something new, have a different experience :)

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Another year passed almost since last reply so I thought time to an update.
Which possibilities are there for this/next year below 100euro return ?

Does anyone knows a site where you can find all the promo's/promocodes of airliners...togheter?

I noticed a few promo's in 'METRO' but since I go to work by bike since 3 years..,
finding promo's isn't that easy..
But noticed (to late ) nice promo's of MALEV.. (B737-600 :? )..
( besides SN-FR-EZY-JAF.. which sites could be visited regarly )

So anyone a tip..
Checking each site/date/destination would be to hard for me :lol:

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

JUST FLY? NONE OF THIS IS ABOUT FLYING.

You only talk about being flown. Give me half an hour at the controls, every time, over hours upon hours of sitting "back there in the coach".

To drive a car is to steer it. All the rest is "to sit in it".
To fly a plane is to steer it. All the rest is "being flown".

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Luckily I'm not the only one who misses the point of doing triangular flights in Europe without leaving the airports...

Flying is so much nicer when you are at the controls ;-)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Don't put words in my mouth, DW! I did NOT say I miss the point of getting flown from one airport to the other - if I had time AND budget enough I might be tempted to it myself, and enjoy it!.
I do however protest the use of language - even if communication is the least important of the three basic skills AVIATE - NAVIGATE - COMMUNICATE - I still insist on correct vocabulary. To fly is to fly. To be flown is to be flown.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

jan_olieslagers wrote: I do however protest the use of language - even if communication is the least important of the three basic skills AVIATE - NAVIGATE - COMMUNICATE - I still insist on correct vocabulary. To fly is to fly. To be flown is to be flown.
Ok, maybe you should then look the meaning of 'to fly'. It means so much more than just ''to steer an aircraft' it.
You can perfectly say you flew a traingle when you were just a passenger, 100% correct.

concordino

Post by concordino »

Ladies, ladies! Calm down or you will ruin your handbags from all that bashing each other.

No wonder aviation enthusiasts have such a bad reputation when all we do is bicker.

@ jan_olieslagers
I am pretty sure most of us would love to fly ourselves but many things in life come between us and our wishes. Flying takes many forms some of it more passive than others but it is still flying no matter which part of the aircraft you are in. Any time spent in the air is flying whether you are being flown or are piloting.

Being pedantic about a language which is not your mother-tongue is a "sticky wicket" as Brits might say. English is a very forgiving language (has to be as there are many variations of it around the globe) and open to interpretation. I often cringe at usage and spelling (don't get me started) here on Luchtzak, as elsewhere, but if the meaning is clear then no big issue. Read the words to understand the overall message and if still unclear, ask for clarification before pillorying the messenger.

C

Comet

Post by Comet »

nic_biso wrote:Did you do these kind of ‘one day trips'? Where did you go and how much did you pay for it? Or are you planning on doing this soon?
I've done it several times. First time was a day trip to Western Sahara from Tenerife with Iberia when I was four years old.

Second was a trip on a Fokker 27 from Reykjavik-Vestmannaeyjar and back in the same day (landing on a very gravelly runway).

Others have been trips from the UK to Belgium to buy the beer I cannot get at home - flight out in the morning (usually from Birmingham owing to greater choice of flights) dinner and shopping and then back in the early evening. All those trips cost us less than £100 but are impossible now owing to the liquid ban, which I hope will be lifted.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

DeltaWiskey wrote: Flying is so much nicer when you are at the controls
That might be; as I am not a pilot, I am quite happy to fly as a passenger. No worry, no responsability, just the fun.

To answer the initial question : as usual, there is Ryanair, next year same as last year.
I have already booked, for January and February, return trips from Charleroi to Bergamo, Marseille and Roma - at a total cost of 12, 12 and 28 euros resp.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

airazurxtror wrote: I am quite happy to fly as a passenger. No worry, no responsability, just the fun.

......return trips from Charleroi to Bergamo, Marseille and Roma - at a total cost of 12, 12 and 28 euros resp.
And it's much more cheaper than to pay a baptism flight of say 15 minutes on the back seat.
" Just fly for the sake of it " :thumbup: